• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of New Topping D50s DAC

Vosya

What of the seven filters is the one you use to use and why? With the D50 I use filter 3 as it seems the most transparent to me but for overly bright CD's I use filter 7 as it seems to tame some high frequencies that seem to suit these kind of CD's fine.
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/new...rt-music-player.839108/page-101#post-13884937
- the message contains both objective and subjective information. Good foundation for your own decisions.
I disagree in only one thing: a negative review of the "Minimum phase slow roll-off". In my acoustically bright audio system, it is the most suitable.

Kiko1974

nighteagle

Is the output of the D50s fine for a power amp that feeds 8 Ohm speakers or do I need a preamp?

Also I'm having noise issues when the graphics card is on load, I guess it must be the USB, has this happened to anyone?

I think the D50s can work as a preamp. It has a volume control :)

Try another USB port or buy something like the topping P50 (Linear Power Supply).

Don't know much about the shielding of the stock USB cable. Been wondering about replacing the cable myself since it looks so thin :p

Gradius

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Is the output of the D50s fine for a power amp that feeds 8 Ohm speakers or do I need a preamp?

Also I'm having noise issues when the graphics card is on load, I guess it must be the USB, has this happened to anyone?

The fault lies on Power Supply on PC.

Are you using USB power from PC too? If so use an external one for Topping.

Gradius

Yes, I'm using an external one 5V 2A, but it's not linear. Some people advocate for removing the power pins on the USB connector though.

I don't think is necessary, really.

"I'm having noise issues when the graphics card is on load."

That one is from Power Supply PC, 100% confirmed. I had that problem before to have an external DAC.

Predatowned

Should I use USB or spdif via schiit eitr for this dac? I noticed the review was done using USB that’s why I’m curious.

Gradius

Yes, but the D50s is external, the only thing that the PSU should affect the DAC is through the USB power pins... OR the power strip : /

"Also I'm having noise issues when the graphics card is on load"

This confirms is your power supply, nothing to do with the DAC.

Btw, I also have D50s, so of course I know is an external one.

Dogway

This confirms is your power supply, nothing to do with the DAC.

Btw, I also have D50s, so of course I know is an external one.
Well I don't know then, the power supply is one of the best, a Corsair RM550, I think a Seasonic inside or a Super Flower, good ripple suppresion.

I think it's just how this things are designed. I might need an USB decrappifier at worst. I don't think the issue is with the DAC PSU but in the mid term I'd also like to upgrade to a linear PSU. It's just that I just have so many other things to upgrade... (THX amp, XLR cable...)

Kayomani

Is it better to run in 24 or 32bit mode when using usb? All my audio looks to be 24 as far as I can see, is upping the bit depth going to affect the quality if it has to resample it?

Gradius

Last edited:

ishmeister

Is it better to run in 24 or 32bit mode when using usb? All my audio looks to be 24 as far as I can see, is upping the bit depth going to affect the quality if it has to resample it?
The DAC is using 32 bits internally so it won't make a difference whether 16/24/32 bit depth is set, but if you use digital volume control you should use the DAC's volume control not the OS.

Gradius

TUSBAudio - Thesycon USB Audio 2.0 Class Driver for Windows

Revision History

-----------------------------------------------------
v4.82.0 (January 16, 2020)
-----------------------------------------------------

* Fix: XMOS firmware detection for DFU update

* Fix: KS child PDO hardware ID does not include REV code

Source:
https://spl.audio/wp-content/uploads/_downloads/Revision-History.txt

dpippel

Forgive me for not reading through the entire thread folks, but is there a way to have the D50s display sampling rate instead of volume (dB) when in DAC mode? I'm not using the volume control and would rather see useful information instead of 00.0 dB on the tiny, tiny display. Thanks!

Toku

Major Contributor
Forgive me for not reading through the entire thread folks, but is there a way to have the D50s display sampling rate instead of volume (dB) when in DAC mode? I'm not using the volume control and would rather see useful information instead of 00.0 dB on the tiny, tiny display. Thanks!
Unfortunately, your desired DAC mode is not available on the D50s. Only in Pre mode. DX3Pro and E30 have a DAC mode, and you can switch to such a display.

Top Bottom