• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of New Topping D50s DAC

ishmeister

I was looking to order E30 but will order another D50s instead (silver this time :)). I simply love the sound and features of D50s after D70 and will replace the D70 with it. Since I am not so thrilled with D70, don't want another AKM and all its pop mess + can't change opamps in E30 without soldering. Bluetooth is also a must to me, very useful for browsing/quick listening of stuff on a mobile phone or tablet (Youtube). IMHO D50s is just a perfect device for the money.
Silver looks more premium but I've gone black to match my Atom.

Kiko1974

I have all my SACD discs ripped, their tracks extracted into individual tracks with ISO2DSD and with dBpoweramp I've "converted" (actually a change of container, no actual conversion is done) the tracks to DSD over PCM files. This is a process that many devices did on the fly but now one can have WAV or even FLAC files that really contain DSD and not PCM.
When I play these DoP (DSD over PCM) tracks there's also a loud click on the D50 as it first recognizes the file as 176.4/24 PCM is a second or so it detects it's actually DSD 64. I e-mailed Topping about these issue over a year ago when I got my D50. They basically ignored me telling me that this is normal. I reminded them that the d50 on some advertising was sold as having no noise issues when changing from one format to another and between PCM different sampling rates or bit depths.

Kiko1974

I am using Foobar2000 to play everything from PCM 44.1 to DSD and SACD ISO images (DSD64). When the output is set to DSD:ASIO:DSD Transcoder (DoP/Native) using SACD plugin to output DSD+PCM or DSD only, and when the DSD Transcoder is set to output DSD for any DSD/DoP input, DSD files including those in ISO images play as is from the beginning without PCM/DSD switching. If I set DSD:ASIO:Topping USB Audio Device for the output, DSD tracks start just like you wrote. D50s detects them as PCM files for a half of the second and then switches to DSD. In a meantime I can hear slight click. Since I use DSD Transcoder plugin anyway, the issue is actually not a problem. Found also the same is happening when playing PCM 352.8kHz. Interestingly my D70 is doing the same but it is also doing this with 192kHz PCM, however without slight clicks.

But unfortunately I can't do that as I'm playing my DoP files with a Sony X-800 UHD BD/SACD player. I'm an old school guy and I don't want to bother with computer audio.

nighteagle

Just bought a used d50s together with a p50 to replace my Creative G6. Just got a couple of questions.

Do I download any drivers for it or just use the one windows 10 installs for it? If there is a driver where can i locate it?

Should I adjust it to say 32 bit and 384 in windows or any other setting?

Any firmware updates?

I should also use Mode 3 if I don't want any processing?

Also I understand that the D50s should be on top of the P50 not on the bottom due to interference is that correct?

When I connect it to my SP200 I Should set the dac volume to 0.0 right?

Thanks for any answers :)

Veri

Master Contributor
Just bought a used d50s together with a p50 to replace my Creative G6. Just got a couple of questions.

Do I download any drivers for it or just use the one windows 10 installs for it? If there is a driver where can i locate it?

Windows 10 has its own driver so installing driver is not strictly necessary. Use 24 or 32 bit, highest available. Sample rate is ideally 44 or 48 kHz, it oversamples to a higher rate in the DAC anyway. If you use high rates in windows configuration, Windows will do upsampling inferior to the internal DAC's functions. There's no benefit..

kkeretic

You can download the latest driver here.
Set it to 2 channel 32-bit output in Topping control panel to avoid a bug that prevents exclusive mode output in ASIO/WASAPI. In the Windows sound control panel set anything you want except 384kHz to avoid loud pop when switching between sounds with different frequencies.
Any firmware updates?
Not for now.
I should also use Mode 3 if I don't want any processing?
These modes are filters for PCM only and you can't actually avoid processing. I am using mode 1.
Also I understand that the D50s should be on top of the P50 not on the bottom due to interference is that correct?
Probably, someone here wrote about that.
When I connect it to my SP200 I Should set the dac volume to 0.0 right?
Yes. But I don't see/hear the reason why you would not use its preamp feature accessible also from the remote.

ishmeister

I just tried that but my download was blocked by bitdefender:

We blocked this dangerous page for your protection: http://www.tphifi.net/drivers/topping_usbaudio_setup_v4.82.0.zip Dangerous pages attempt to install software that can harm the device, gather personal information or operate without your consent.

Does it contain malware? First red warning in 18 months of using bitdefender so wondering why this site is flagged. Have they been hacked in the past?

Last edited:

ishmeister

I just tried that but my download was blocked by bitdefender:

We blocked this dangerous page for your protection: http://www.tphifi.net/drivers/topping_usbaudio_setup_v4.82.0.zip Dangerous pages attempt to install software that can harm the device, gather personal information or operate without your consent.

Does it contain malware? First red warning in 18 months of using bitdefender so wondering why this site is flagged. Have they been hacked in the past?

Seems like it's a false positive. I added an exception then manually scanned the download and it found no threats.

nighteagle

Thx for the answers :)

I hate to have several volume knobs. So I would prefer windows at 100. DAC at 0.0 then adjust the volume on the SP200.

Set it to 2 channel 32-bit output in Topping control panel to avoid a bug that prevents exclusive mode output in ASIO/WASAPI. In the Windows sound control panel set anything you want except 384kHz to avoid loud pop when switching between sounds with different frequencies.

Not for now.

These modes are filters for PCM only and you can't actually avoid processing. I am using mode 1.

Probably, someone here wrote about that.

Yes. But I don't see/hear the reason why you would not use its preamp feature accessible also from the remote.

Vosya

Set it to 2 channel 32-bit output in Topping control panel to avoid a bug that prevents exclusive mode output in ASIO/WASAPI
24-bit mode selected: ASIO, WASAPI exclusive work fine. What should I do to break it?

Veri

Master Contributor
Is there anywhere/documentation we can see any information about the different modes?
index.php

Default filter is best IMO. Looking at the above, it's unlikely the filter change will be audible, anyway.

nighteagle

What is the safe mode option who is enabled by default under Buffer Settings in Topping Audio Device Control Panel. Should I leave it enabled or? Maybe this is only related to ASIO playback? I am mostly using it for gaming with discord and listening to music.

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    39.6 KB · Views: 174

Veri

Master Contributor
What is the safe mode option who is enabled by default under Buffer Settings in Topping Audio Device Control Panel. Should I leave it enabled or? Maybe this is only related to ASIO playback? I am mostly using it for gaming with discord and listening to music.
You can disable safe mode for gaming, you'll notice if the DAC start stuttering or so then I would enable it again :)

Vosya

What is the safe mode option who is enabled by default under Buffer Settings in Topping Audio Device Control Panel
"INSTALLATION INSTRUCTIONS
Mackie USB Driver for PC
[...]
Finding the right settings for your machine is often an effort of experimentation, trying each setting and seeing if your computer continues to handle audio without drop-outs or distortion. If you are experiencing drop-outs or distortion, try raising the ASIO Buffer Size to the next available setting
or enable Safe Mode to see if that clears up any issues.

SAFE MODE: Safe Mode compensates for lengthy processing performed by a DAW in the ASIO callback. If safe mode is turned on, then the driver tolerates that a processing interval extends and overlaps with the next interval. Safe Mode should be on if heavy audio processing – such
as high FX usage – in a DAW taxes the CPU and results in drop-outs during playback. Put another way, if you would like to use a smaller buffer size and it isn't working, try enabling Safe Mode; that just might do the trick."

ishmeister

Would anyone still buy a D50s today given the E30 exists? I just ordered a D50s but I'm feeling some remorse before even getting it. Bluetooth is the only feature difference - does it work well and would you consider it worth the extra money to you? I'm planning to stack it with a JDS Atom.
Answering my own question as I got the D50s today. Yes this is a lovely device and I have no regrets.

Kiko1974

What of the seven filters is the one you use to use and why? With the D50 I use filter 3 as it seems the most transparent to me but for overly bright CD's I use filter 7 as it seems to tame some high frequencies that seem to suit these kind of CD's fine.

Top Bottom