• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of New Topping D50s DAC

Toku

Major Contributor
Is it only 384kHz hit or maybe 352.8kHz too?
Pop noise occurs only at PCM 384kHz.
It occurs at the moment when switching from a song other than PCM384kHz to a song with PCM384kHz. It only occurs at the beginning of the song.
It is a strong pulse noise.

Last edited:

Gradius

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I can confirm the "pop noise" on that change.

It must be a bug on firmware. I wonder why they still didn't fixed that.

We need to send more e-mails to Topping asking to fix that issue.

Last edited:

Toku

Major Contributor
I can confirm the "pop noise" on that change.

It must be a bug on firmware. I wonder why they still didn't fixed that.

We need to send more e-mails to Topping asking to fix that issue.
I have discussed this issue with Toppin many times. From their answer, it seems that it is very difficult to solve by just Topping as it is related to XMOS.

kkeretic

I have discussed this issue with Toppin many times. From their answer, it seems that it is very difficult to solve by just Topping as it is related to XMOS.

Well, I can confirm a pop too. But I don't have anything in 384KHz anyway so the only way to test was to upsample or test from within the Windows audio control panel.

Toku

Major Contributor
Well, I can confirm a pop too. But I don't have anything in 384KHz anyway so the only way to test was to upsample or test from within the Windows audio control panel.
Thank you for confirming.
It's a pretty big pop noise.
I am using the following software to create a DAC device test file.
In the free version, a 2 second silent part is inserted in the middle of the song, but I do not care because it is for testing.
https://samplerateconverter.com/

shellback

Audio Company
Is the Drop price the best going? Or is there a preferred vendor?

RickSanchez

Major Contributor
Cartographer
Is the Drop price the best going? Or is there a preferred vendor?

Drop is likely the best price you'll find but you can always check via Google Shopping or another price comparison tool. Many members here have spoken highly of Apos Audio. They're currently running the D50s at regular retail but if you were able to get them to price match (vs. Drop) that might be your best bet.

Kiko1974

I have all my SACD discs ripped, their tracks extracted into individual tracks with ISO2DSD and with dBpoweramp I've "converted" (actually a change of container, no actual conversion is done) the tracks to DSD over PCM files. This is a process that many devices did on the fly but now one can have WAV or even FLAC files that really contain DSD and not PCM.
When I play these DoP (DSD over PCM) tracks there's also a loud click on the D50 as it first recognizes the file as 176.4/24 PCM is a second or so it detects it's actually DSD 64. I e-mailed Topping about these issue over a year ago when I got my D50. They basically ignored me telling me that this is normal. I reminded them that the d50 on some advertising was sold has havving no noise issues when changing from one format to another and between PCM different sampling rates or bit depths

ishmeister

Would anyone still buy a D50s today given the E30 exists? I just ordered a D50s but I'm feeling some remorse before even getting it. Bluetooth is the only feature difference - does it work well and would you consider it worth the extra money to you? I'm planning to stack it with a JDS Atom.

kkeretic

Would anyone still buy a D50s today given the E30 exists? I just ordered a D50s but I'm feeling some remorse before even getting it. Bluetooth is the only feature difference - does it work well and would you consider it worth the extra money to you? I'm planning to stack it with a JDS Atom.

I was looking to order E30 but will order another D50s instead (silver this time :)). I simply love the sound and features of D50s after D70 and will replace the D70 with it. Since I am not so thrilled with D70, don't want another AKM and all its pop mess + can't change opamps in E30 without soldering. Bluetooth is also a must to me, very useful for browsing/quick listening of stuff on a mobile phone or tablet (Youtube). IMHO D50s is just a perfect device for the money.

kkeretic

When I play these DoP (DSD over PCM) tracks there's also a loud click on the D50 as it first recognizes the file as 176.4/24 PCM is a second or so it detects it's actually DSD 64.

I am using Foobar2000 to play everything from PCM 44.1 to DSD and SACD ISO images (DSD64). When the output is set to DSD:ASIO:DSD Transcoder (DoP/Native) using SACD plugin to output DSD+PCM or DSD only, and when the DSD Transcoder is set to output DSD for any DSD/DoP input, DSD files including those in ISO images play as is from the beginning without PCM/DSD switching. If I set DSD:ASIO:Topping USB Audio Device for the output, DSD tracks start just like you wrote. D50s detects them as PCM files for a half of the second and then switches to DSD. In a meantime I can hear slight click. Since I use DSD Transcoder plugin anyway, the issue is actually not a problem. Found also the same is happening when playing PCM 352.8kHz. Interestingly my D70 is doing the same but it is also doing this with 192kHz PCM, however without slight clicks.

shellback

Audio Company
The convenience of having BT is very appealing to me.

And now I just learned of the Soncoz LA-QXD1 and am reading the thread on it...

shellback

Audio Company
That looks very impressive. Same price as the D50s but no Bluetooth.
I agree. Reading more now on it.

Adding an external BT module would be a piece of cake.

Top Bottom