• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of New Topping D50s DAC

Vosya

replace and with what
It makes sense to replace when there are fundamental differences between the components in the direction of improving performance. OPA1612 and OPA1656 do not have such differences. Rather, there is even slight degradation in some parameters.

Lirokoa

Hello there, I just want to share my experience with this little dac. I ordered it with topping p50 linear power to replace an Atoll Dac 100 se.

First I received the Dac and used it with a smartphone wall charger and wow what a difference. Everything is better at a point than I now think my older dac is deffective. Before I could not listen music more than 30 min at medium volume level, now I can listen with higher volume the whole day.

Then I received the P50 power supply, placed it on top of the dac. The sound quality clearly degraded. Then I moved the p50 far from the dac and sound is back to top quality. I did several test and each time the p50 was on top of the dac the sound bad. Strangely when the dac is on top of the p50 everything is fine...

To conclude I think this device is sensitive to electromagnetic field. I hope this can help some people!

AndreaB

Forum Donor
Hello everybody.
This is my first post and I want to thank ASR for the help in choosing the DAC, which has become The 50s.
Connected to a micro PC that plays Daphile, (how come no one here uses it?) No driver problems, neither pop nor anything else.
It reads everything without any problem, including DSD.
Thanks again ASR

sotiridaf

If i buy a longer blyetooth antenna the range of connectivity will increase? Can you suggest me one?

Chrise36

Major Contributor
Hello there, I just want to share my experience with this little dac. I ordered it with topping p50 linear power to replace an Atoll Dac 100 se.

First I received the Dac and used it with a smartphone wall charger and wow what a difference. Everything is better at a point than I now think my older dac is deffective. Before I could not listen music more than 30 min at medium volume level, now I can listen with higher volume the whole day.

Then I received the P50 power supply, placed it on top of the dac. The sound quality clearly degraded. Then I moved the p50 far from the dac and sound is back to top quality. I did several test and each time the p50 was on top of the dac the sound bad. Strangely when the dac is on top of the p50 everything is fine...

To conclude I think this device is sensitive to electromagnetic field. I hope this can help some people!
I found very sensitive to phones nearby also. I try to keep it away from other devices and it is very clean.

Toku

Major Contributor
If i buy a longer blyetooth antenna the range of connectivity will increase? Can you suggest me one?
I purchased several types of antennas sold on Amazon and AliExpress and compared them.
In conclusion, it is important to choose a better product than the antenna length.
There was nothing good, especially with the long products I purchased.
I think the antenna attached to D50s is enough.
Try it yourself once and compare.

06S2k07Si

Question... I recently got a D50s and find that when using the Bluetooth function connected to my phone the volume slider only works in the first quarter of the slider no matter where the volume is set on the D50s. Has anyone else experienced this? the volume control on the remote and the volume control on the joystick work fine. I currently have this paired with an SMSL DA-8s....the Bluetooth on the SMSL amp works correctly and will apply volume accordingly. I also have several other Bluetooth devices, including several Topping units that this works correctly on. Please let me know your thoughts.

Thanks, Brian

kkeretic

Question... I recently got a D50s and find that when using the Bluetooth function connected to my phone the volume slider only works in the first quarter of the slider no matter where the volume is set on the D50s. Has anyone else experienced this?

The slider works full range on my Samsung S8+ phone and Tab S tablet.

06S2k07Si

The slider works full range on my Samsung S8+ phone and Tab S tablet.
Thank you for your reply. I'll try my Samsung Tab S4 today to compare. ...for reference my phone is a Motorola Z2 Force.

06S2k07Si

I just tried my Samsung Tab S4 tablet and it works fine. I also re-tried my Motorola Z2 Force with my DX3 Pro v1 again this morning and it works fine with my phone. I also tried resetting the D50s and it didn't change anything...confusing? Thank you again for your reply. Brian

06S2k07Si

I figured it out...on my phone when connecting to a Bluetooth device there is an option to select LDAC (there is this option on my tablet too but it doesn't change any functionality). When selecting this option on my phone for some reason it does not allow normal performance of the volume slider. When you uncheck this box you get full control of the volume just like normal. I guess I'll be ok since I only use 320 mp3's on my phone anyway.

I hope this helps someone. Thanks again. Brian

06S2k07Si

shellback

Audio Company
I'm looking at potentially purchasing the D50s. From my research on ASR it would appear this is one of the top performing DACs, and it has bluetooth capability which I'd like to have.

I read the measurements along with the first few pages and the last 4 or 5. What mods are people referring to?

N

nhatlam96

I can get Topping E30 for half the price. Is there still a reason to get D50s instead? (sound quality wise)

Veri

Master Contributor
I can get Topping E30 for half the price. Is there still a reason to get D50s instead? (sound quality wise)
BT input. Otherwise not really. E30 has a very slight 'pop' sound when changing sample rate, input, ...
D50s does not exhibit this. So if you are using speakers without pre-amp, D50s might be better..

AndreaB

Forum Donor
Plus remote control ;)

Toku

Major Contributor
You should know that the D50 & D50s produce loud pops when switching to PCM 384kHz songs. This issue is also acknowledged by Topping.

Top Bottom