• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of New Topping D50s DAC

Calexico

What filter?
It's not matter of filter.
And not only you were misunderstanding, but also you don't even know what you are talking about. End of story.
In dacs you can choose between sharp filter slow filter etc. That's them that put the ultrasonic far away so that it can be filtered more easily with analog low pass filter If there is still ultrasonics noise and distortion it's a failure of the filter of the dac (digital filter or analog filter)

Calexico

It's not ruining. A good dac should filter all the ultrasonic garbage.
A good digital amp does the same.
If there is still garbage that's a failure of the filter.
If you don't think it's true you then ask a refund.

Xulonn

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
How's that refund coming?
Its hard to know what is worse - trolling or unmitigated ignorance coupled with a refusal to try to learn anything about the technical information one is questioning...

Calexico

So to you it's not bad to have ultrasonic garbage and if tests don't show it it's not important??

It's crazy.

The goal of the filter in the dac is to filter.
If there is still garbage that mean it doesn't filter good.

If no test show if the filter is good or not it's a big mistake.

If you think proper filtering is not important well it's sure we better stop talking. I get my answers.

This ultrasonic garbage can interact with digital amps that have hf modulations. Or with high bandwidth amp.
It's always better to filter properly the ultrasonic garbage.
If no test shows it we should find one because it's important.
But you seams scared to get not so good measurements and that would fail all the marketing of dacs.
@amirm thanks for your honesty to show us that those ultrasonics are hidden on tests.

daftcombo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
From the way he writes, I guess Calexico is french, like me.
We, french people, like to ask questions instead of reading articles.
If someone could stop 5 minutes & explain why it is ok to "hide" the ultranoise, everybody would be happy!
I am also interested.

As for me, what I understand is that filters can filter the fundamentals, but can't filter harmonics, and that's why you end up with ultrasonic noise anyway. Is that right?

Last edited:
OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
In dacs you can choose between sharp filter slow filter etc. That's them that put the ultrasonic far away so that it can be filtered more easily with analog low pass filter If there is still ultrasonics noise and distortion it's a failure of the filter of the dac (digital filter or analog filter)
The purpose of a filter in a DAC is to properly reconstruct the digital signal into analog. Its job is NOT to remove noise/distortion that bleeds into the DAC due to other reasons. A perfect reconstruction in a DAC therefore can still leave plenty of ultrasonic noise and distortion.

In my analyzer, I can choose to filter the incoming signal using any filter I choose. By default I use 22.4 kHz since that is a standard filter in my analyzer and is a bit above hearing range. So those results as seen in the dashboard are representative of what is audibly relevant.

In the THD+N vs Frequency by necessity I need to increase the bandwidth to catch the harmonic distortion (H in THD) of higher frequencies. For example the fourth harmonic of 20 kHz will be 80 kHz.

It is true that DACs with junk in ultrasonics are deviating from ideal. Our highest performance DACs are very clean there. Lower ones in budget categories tend to not be as well although these are generalizations.

The ultrasonic tone in D50s is about -80 dB. Even if that were in audible band, you wouldn't hear it unless it is in mid frequencies. At 28 Khz or whatever, it is just not an audible concern although I personally wish it was not there.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
As for me, what I understand is that filters can filter the fundamentals, but can't filter harmonics, and that's why you end up with ultrasonic noise anyway. Is that right?
A filter certainly can do that as my analyzer's input filter shows. THe issue is as I explained: there are other stages past the DAC (chip) filter that are non-linear and can generate harmonic distortion. And the filter in the DAC is not having infinite attenuation so it lets some harmonics to bleed through.

In this case, the 28 kHz tone is actually NOT a harmonic distortion (the signal itself is at 20 kHz). It is some kind of spurious tone for which I don't have an explanation as to its source.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
This ultrasonic garbage can interact with digital amps that have hf modulations.
This is true but the ultrasonics here are at -80 dB. Intermodulation occurs at much lower level than the signal, making them very small in amplitude (i.e. much smaller than -80 dB). But yes, it is good to not have them.

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
The member ignore function is more trouble than it is worth. The entire structure of a decent disagreement between members gets broken. I see SIY arguing with himself or saying things that make me think he's been drinking, again. :)

gvl

Major Contributor
A filter certainly can do that as my analyzer's input filter shows. THe issue is as I explained: there are other stages past the DAC (chip) filter that are non-linear and can generate harmonic distortion. And the filter in the DAC is not having infinite attenuation so it lets some harmonics to bleed through.

In this case, the 28 kHz tone is actually NOT a harmonic distortion (the signal itself is at 20 kHz). It is some kind of spurious tone for which I don't have an explanation as to its source.

Are you positive you used 44.1k sampling? 28k suspiciously looks like an image for 20k input on 48k sampling.

Top Bottom