• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of New Topping D50s DAC

Calexico

I have done that before. 16 bit results usually clip to 96 dB SINAD. 96 kHz will add noise and ultrasonic distortion so likely will be similar to THD+N versus frequency that I posted.
It means high res files results in more noise and ultrasonics distortion so cd is better?

Calexico

Noise is inherent in any amplifier. Namely the output opamps. Also you need to learn something about noise integration and how thd+n is calculated with different bandwidths. With non weighted integration High frequency noise contribute to a lot to the results. The reason amir is using that is because more accurate representation for high frequency distortion. Otherwise we will see a dropping thd after 7khz due to limited bandwidth.
@amirm maybe this ultrasonic distortion is not hearable but can interract with other elements in the amp and in the speaker and then become hearable. Then why not making a test to show all the ultrasonic noise?

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
It means high res files results in more noise and ultrasonics distortion so cd is better?
The noise will always be there in the reproduction chain. Even though it's not in the cd file itself. The final output will still have not only to 90khz probably a few hundred khz and may have rising noise. However due to cable capacitance, driver inductance and the transducer and our ear. They can't possibly affect the listening experience.
The true benefit of hires is to have a linear phase response without ringing in time domain leaving the only filtering to be our ear. The high frequency content won't cause any audible improvements.

Calexico

@amirm if you make a band limited test on a nos dac you will get rid of the ultrasonic image above niquist
Isn't it cheating to hide ultrasonic noise on measurements?

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
Well say this to amirm i just quote and ask
No. Amirm is not wrong. It's just that you can't get what he was saying and misunderstood. He's talking from the measurements perspective. Not the DUT perspective. Higher the bandwidth set on the analyzer higher the noise there will be.

Calexico

No. Amirm is not wrong. It's just that you can't get what he was saying and misunderstood.
I misunderstood nothing i just asked a question. I didn't claim anything.
You want to confuse my questions or what?
If ultrasonic noise and distortion is hidden for sinad test we don't see if the filter of the dac does a good job. Then it's cheating.

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
I misunderstood nothing i just asked a question. I didn't claim anything.
You want to confuse my questions or what?
If ultrasonic noise and distortion is hidden for sinad test for test we don't see if the filter of the dac does a good job. Then it's cheating.
Just read through and watch the material I shared. And it will solve all the problems.

Calexico

So you think it's normal to mask the content above 20khz for testing? When why making a filter if the ultrasonic content is not important?? It's crazy.
We should test if the filter make a good job.

Calexico

You get good measurements results because you hide the ultrasonic garbage. If filter were good engeenered there wouldn't be ultrasonic garbage and then not need to hide it to get good sinad.

Calexico

@SIY i believe tube buffer could hide this ultrasonic garbage by adding ultrasonic distortion more musical

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
You get good measurements results because you hide the ultrasonic garbage. If filter were good engeenered there wouldn't be ultrasonic garbage and then not need to hide it to get good sinad.
What filter?
It's not matter of filter.
And not only you were misunderstanding, but also you don't even know what you are talking about. End of story.

Calexico

Anyway that's not serious to hide the garbage to get good results.

Top Bottom