• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of New Topping D50s DAC

Dogway

Is it ok to run a 10m RCA cable from this DAC to a headphone amp? I'm aware the cable has to be of low capacitance for such distances but I read that it's preferable to do so on pre-amp outputs. I guess the D50s can work as a preamp or is it low line level?

Veri

Master Contributor
Is it ok to run a 10m RCA cable from this DAC to a headphone amp? I'm aware the cable has to be of low capacitance for such distances but I read that it's preferable to do so on pre-amp outputs. I guess the D50s can work as a preamp or is it low line level?
It is "ok" and possible to do, but worst case you will pick up hum along the way.

Kane1972

Yes, I'm looking at around 100$ OFC shielded RCA cables, ghentaudio, BJC or van-damme, still undecided.
Keep the length of the cable as short as possible, the shorter the run, the less chance of picking up interference. Also, saves you $$.

Killingbeans

Major Contributor
He may not have any knowledge of the D50s circuit etc, so if you can send him a photo of the inside that would help.

The signal path/circuit typology is practically impossible to determine from a photo, and ceramic SMD capacitors has no marked values. You'd need to have the D50s in hand to do any real reverse engineering.

Besides, OPA1612 and LME49720 are some seriously good op-amps. Any improvements would be measurable only, not audible IMO :)

Gradius

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Besides, OPA1612 and LME49720 are some seriously good op-amps. Any improvements would be measurable only, not audible IMO :)

They are too harsh & dry. But if you like them, good for you.

I have even the premium model of them (not the IC crap). They costs 10x more.

Last edited:

mt196

In analogue Universe, I got the BEST measures mother nature could provide me: my ears.
Ears can be fooled by a vast majority of things other than am having a very low sensitivity compared to other benchmarking instruments, so you are trusting the wrong thing.

If you trust only your brain/eyes you will be fooled by a lot of mind tricks

Gradius

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Ears can be fooled by a vast majority of things other than am having a very low sensitivity compared to other benchmarking instruments, so you are trusting the wrong thing.

If you trust only your brain/eyes you will be fooled by a lot of mind tricks

Having them benchmarking by instruments is one thing. HOW it sounds to you is up to your taste.

Killingbeans

Major Contributor
They are too harsh & dry.

What kind of scientific study has shown you that?

What does that even mean? Did someone make versions with discrete components on PCBs? And what does that have to do with the performance of the ICs? Or are you just talking about TO-99 housings? Because that's still an IC :D

Last edited:

mt196

Having them benchmarking by instruments is one thing. HOW it sounds to you is up to your taste.
But that nuances in sound are made up by your brain due to various types of bias and are not present in any measurements of the audible spectrum. That is why your claims are taken with skepticism here, they work just for your and your subjectivity :confused:

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
Opamps can be audible when the noise is high that you can hear the difference in noise structure of the opamps and resistors. If you hear a difference, you should throw away your equipment already. It's shit.

mykeldg

They are too harsh & dry. But if you like them, good for you.

Is it possible 'dry' is a good sign that it measures & performs well without coloration, distortion & noise? I think its better if amps & speakers/headphones do the coloring for you.
That said, I have a multibit dac that measures poorly and sounds more holographic especially in the midrange (or maybe that's just euphonic distortion?)

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
Is it possible 'dry' is a good sign that it measures & performs well without coloration, distortion & noise? I think its better if amps & speakers/headphones do the coloring for you.
That said, I have a multibit dac that measures poorly and sounds more holographic especially in the midrange (or maybe that's just euphonic distortion?)
perhaps crosstalk

mykeldg

perhaps crosstalk
What I hear, especially on movies, the multibit dac has more depth and center image, like I have a center channel. crosstalk is definitely plausible. Im stilll waiting for the d50s hope its much better.

maxxevv

Major Contributor
What I hear, especially on movies, the multibit dac has more depth and center image, like I have a center channel. crosstalk is definitely plausible. Im stilll waiting for the d50s hope its much better.

Pretty sure you are hearing it distinctly only because you know what you are listening to. Properly level matched and auditioned blind, the differences will be subtle at best and from a technical standpoint, likely you will find a multibit implementation inferior instead.

mykeldg

Pretty sure you are hearing it distinctly only because you know what you are listening to. Properly level matched and auditioned blind, the differences will be subtle at best and from a technical standpoint, likely you will find a multibit implementation inferior instead.
I recognize the validity of ABX and I subscribe to it for sure. But in my case the multibit has such a much different sound (im not saying its superior though that's why I ordered the d50s to try) due to its architecture, output stage, filtering, higher noise floor, etc.

Now I know ASR are irked by subjective impressions so i'll leave that there and just say atleast for me, the difference is easily discernible but I will not contest anyone who would say otherwise because objective science is.. well, more objective.

Last edited:

mt196

I recognize the validity of ABX and I subscribe to it for sure. But in my case the multibit has such a much different sound (im not saying its superior though that's why I ordered the d50s to try) due to its architecture, output stage, filtering, higher noise floor, etc.

Now I know ASR are irked by subjective impressions so i'll leave that there and just say atleast for me, the difference is easily discernible but I will not contest anyone who would say otherwise because objective science is.. well, more objective.
It must be said that usually skepticism arise when people says that sound better not that it is discernable. And I also think that it may sound better to someone but certainly it does not measure better usually

Blur

Forum Donor
I picked up one of these based on the measurements seen here and cannot be happier. The build quality is superb and sound quality matches what I would expect. I love having control of the output voltage, muting via remove, and ability to change the digital filters. I wish it had a more robust 3-pin power connector is all. Those 2-pins wear out pretty fast and I've had a ton of grounding issues with other Chinese equipment using the same power supply connection.

Last edited:
Top Bottom