• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of New Topping D50s DAC

ZeDestructor

I hate the THX design because they do not have the preamp function and manufacturer cannot include it because it is a copyrighted design. I hope JDS or someone else will do a XLR amp with preamp and more or less the THX performances at <400 otherwise the Atom is the best bang right now

Provably false: the Benchmark HPA4 uses THX tech but also acts as a pre-amplifier.

Neddy

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I really don't care for XLR connections. There are better ways to deal with ground loops that don't require expensive and bulky connectors.
Well, those XLRs are designed for heavy handed pro users (stage 'hands'? ;))
From the 'professorial' professionals, I much preferred LEMO connectors - even converted all my scope leads to those years and years ago (with tiny <1/4" LEMOs 'liberated' from a huge research project I worked on after it ended).
Far more ergonomic, too.
https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetai...myxbP4FpAj2Nc2c9GrWKq2z%2B0gons/RhgmycUPh1Q==

josiah

Apos: 2 year warranty

Drop: (No Warranty Listed)

"Some products purchased on Drop include a manufacturer's warranty. These products will have the warranty listed on their pages. Products that don’t come with a manufacturer's warranty will be subject to a 30-day return policy as long as there is something damaged or non-functional with the product."

TomB19

I currently run a USB connected D30. It's great but I hate the noisy clicks and clacks when a song starts/stops, PC reboot, etc. Does the D50s have the same noise issue?

The D30 doesn't do this when optically connected.

saturnaal

Well, those XLRs are designed for heavy handed pro users (stage 'hands'? ;))
From the 'professorial' professionals, I much preferred LEMO connectors - even converted all my scope leads to those years and years ago (with tiny <1/4" LEMOs 'liberated' from a huge research project I worked on after it ended).
Far more ergonomic, too.
https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/LEMO/PGZ0S303CLLD42Z?qs=sGAEpiMZZMvf6myxbP4FpAj2Nc2c9GrWKq2z%2B0gons/RhgmycUPh1Q==

Don't get me wrong, there's definitely a place for more robust connectors! I'm just not convinced it's on the backs of consumer desktop products.

MediumRare

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
OK, I promised the Apos rep I would spread the word:

So, I had ordered the D50s on drop.com but had to wait until 11/19 to ship. On the recommendation of @josiah I checked with apos.store. A. They have it in stock. B. Chat guy (he's a star) immediately agreed to price match. C. No tax! So It's a done deal, should arrive by Friday. I'll compare to my Musical Fidelity V90 and report back. :cool:

Thanks, @josiah !!

Oh, apos.store guy also said the SMSL SP200 will be in stock shortly at $289 and he'll email me after a conf call with SMSL that's coming up.

Last edited:

MediumRare

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi.
The Sound of Topping D50s is cold?
If I may be so bold as to post the first reply, I think the phrase would be "accurate". Flat FR, inaudible distortion, inaudible noise. That's it.

Can someone more knowledgable correct me/expand on that?

MediumRare

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
You guys answered my question. I don't have warm speakers but it sounds like the people who call it analytical and cold are just not used to hearing that much detail. Thanks.
As an aside, I was listening to a Krell amp in comparison to another amp, both through excellent speakers I was very familiar with. The Krell, in comparison, at first seemed "analytical" but eventually the highs started sounding harsh to me. The word I used at the time was brittle. So, it wasn't accurate, it was just harsh. The D50s should just be "accurate".

ElNino

Addicted to Fun and Learning
For the EEs out there, can you please explain why the D50s does not need balanced line outputs? I refer to this write-up by Benchmark: https://benchmarkmedia.com/blogs/application_notes/balanced-vs-unbalanced-analog-interfaces

"Need" is really a relative concept. Balanced is certainly technically superior, but noise at -120dB or lower is unlikely to be audible with consumer-oriented gear. The article you linked to compares the noise introduced by an unbalanced connection to "the thermal noise produced by a 600-Ohm resistor". That's the level of concern we're looking at for short cable runs without ground loops -- equivalent to the noise introduced by a single resistor.

The D50s is still a consumer piece of gear. Balanced would increase the cost and chassis size, and ideally you want balanced outputs to be hotter (as the linked article points out), which typically means you need higher voltage power rails, so the power supply has to be changed, again increasing the cost.

saturnaal

I'm going to go against my better judgement a bit here, but maybe I can contribute in a way that will help someone.

For the EEs out there, can you please explain why the D50s does not need balanced line outputs? I refer to this write-up by Benchmark: https://benchmarkmedia.com/blogs/application_notes/balanced-vs-unbalanced-analog-interfaces
Lets take a look at some of the information presented here.
Consumer-grade balanced interfaces can only provide 3 to 6 dB SNR advantage due to the relatively low +14 dBu (4 Vrms) signal levels.
The so described "consumer grade balanced interfaces", at 4.0 Vrms, form the vast majority of the XLR balanced connections seen on the types of audio devices tested on this site (as opposed to the +24 dBu 12.28 Vrms "professional" balanced interface level). These numbers are based on laboratory best-case testing scenarios, and the SNRs of the equipment used as examples in the writing of the article are in the -127dB to -135dB range.

If we give maximum assumed benefit to XLR and say that using an unbalanced RCA connection carries a 6dB SNR penalty, the noise floor of most of the best measuring DACs on this site will still be well below audible levels with the unbalanced connection.

"But what about this!?", you say!
In addition, balanced interfaces provide rejection of many types of interference. This immunity to interference can provide a 50 to 100 dB reduction in these unwanted noises.

Well, in this case they are referencing the potential rejection of ground-loop interference, which later on in the article they state more specifically.
50 to 100 dB rejection of ground-loop interference.

Elimination of ground loops is a true and widely recognized advantage of XLR connections. If you're having issues with ground loops and your equipment already has XLR connections, you might as well try them. If your equipment doesn't have XLR connectors already though, there are other solutions to ground loops that will prove satisfactory.

I think it's important to determine context and requirements.

If the question is "Does a +24dBu 12 Vrms signal level XLR balanced connection have a scientifically demonstrable noise advantage over +8.2dBu 2.0 Vrms unbalanced connection?", then the answer is unequivocally yes. This is true and I'd never argue that it isn't.

If the question is "Would commonly seen 4.0 Vrms XLR connections offer a meaningful improvement in noise level over 2.0 Vrms unbalanced connections on a DAC with a ~-130dB noise floor?", well, you can debate endlessly on what constitutes a meaningful improvement, but my take on that is there is really no benefit.

Given the performance that $100 devices have proven capable of in the current market, if I were looking to purchase a "premium" grade DAC in the $400+ range, then I think it's entirely reasonable to expect balanced XLR connections on the device. The added cost and bulk of the device are already a given, and they really will help you to minmax your signal path. That said, on a $100-$250 device like the D50s, I think there is really no need or place for balanced connections. I'll be using mine with Koss ESP-95X, which doesn't have XLR inputs anyway. I think many others are pairing this with the Atom or similar, same applies.

If balanced XLR connectors are a requirement for you in a DAC, say if you already have an extremely performant amp with balanced inputs, there are lots of great options, such as the Topping D70.

The other place these connectors have a clear advantage is in professional audio settings, where you're most likely to find them. These types of noise effects are cumulative, so when you have a large number of devices in your signal path (think 4, 8, maybe more!) in an electrically noisy environment, the advantages start to become more applicable.

Of course, when the third sentence of the cited article is "In all cases, the balanced interfaces will provide better performance."
, it's easy to stop reading and form the conclusion that XLR connectors should be mandatory! Especially if you came into the article with a pre-existing preference for balanced connections and you were really looking for validation more than information :)

MediumRare

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
So, comparing the D50s and the D70, now with BT, is there any conceivable difference in SQ? Please consider the difference in balanced line out to a fully balanced amp v RCA out at 2V. The D70 seems to have better IMD by a few points, plus a few more dB for XLR out (higher voltage). I understand the cost is $545 v. $200, but really trying to see if there is any potential audible SQ difference. Thanks! @amirm @saturnaal @Blumlein 88 @JohnYang1997

Edit: I now found out I should also consider the DX7 Pro, which has the upgraded ESS9038Pro chip, BT, and the headphone amp section of the upcoming A50. Plus Balanced output and AC power. Oh no, I'm really confused!

Last edited:

maxxevv

Major Contributor
Hi.
The Sound of Topping D50s is cold?

The phrase/term "cold" is completely relative.

If one is used to listening to a system that has plenty of noise that manifests in the lower mid-range and bass regions, chances are, a system that does not have these distortions and noise will sound "cold", as that "warm and fuzziness" is missing.
If one is used to listening to a system that has distortion in the high mid-range and treble frequencies, then comparing a system that has none of that can sound "warm". And if compared to the previous case, that can sound "bloated" and "lacking in resolution".

I have not heard the D50/D50s directly, but I have had relative comparisons of the 2 case examples above to a Khadas Tone Board.

So, it really depends on where you coming from and what you are comparing too.

saturnaal

So, comparing the D50s and the D70, now with BT, is there any conceivable difference in SQ? Please consider the difference in balanced line out to a fully balanced amp v RCA out at 2V. The D70 seems to have better IMD by a few points, plus a few more dB for XLR out (higher voltage). I understand the cost is $545 v. $200, but really trying to see if there is any potential audible SQ difference. Thanks! @amirm @saturnaal @Blumlein 88 @JohnYang1997

The D70 has some measurable improvements over the D50s, but audible? Almost certainly not, in a double blind level matched listening test you'd never tell the two apart. Buy the D70 if you care about the measured performance or the additional features, but not for the improvement in sound quality.

Top Bottom