• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of New JDS Labs Atom Headphone Amp

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
But its simple, you just need to trace from that relay closer to that 6.5mm female jack (headphones) and volume.

I'm not sure what you mean. I was thinking that I would need to insert a DPDT switch into the circuit to bypass the HP socket and route L & R signals directly to the RCA outputs (regardless of anything being plugged in the socket).

Here is my crude diagram...

20201029_102020 (Phone).jpg

I assume that this would involve either breaking traces on the PCB or desoldering some of the pins on the HP socket (which would be preferable to me as it's less destructive).

Is there an easier way to do this?

Thanks, I know about the knob ;) https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...cal-clear-hd600-around-400.10063/#post-273346

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Is it a problem when the line out is always connected ?
In the latter case the modification is extremely simple.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
It is simply a matter of removing the PCB and soldering 2 pieces of wire underneath the 6.3 headphone socket.
When you plan on doing this I will draw which links to make.

You can also simply put a switch in place in which case you can toggle it on and off.

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
It is simply a matter of removing the PCB and soldering 2 pieces of wire underneath the 6.3 headphone socket.
When you plan on doing this I will draw which links to make.

You can also simply put a switch in place in which case you can toggle it on and off.

Will this allow me to keep the headphones plugged in, but not driven when i'm using the RCA output?

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Nope, when that's the object of the game perhaps the easiest way is to make an external switch box connected to the HP out and use 2 switches.
One that connects the headphone and one that connects to the amp or device you want to use.

Otherwise you need to modify the amp, cut some tracks and run some wires to switches

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
It i'm going to do it, I want the switching all internal, otherwise I might as well stick with pulling the headphones to switch.

I researched this a while ago and found an Alps latching push DPDT switch and a switch cap that looked like it would match the other two on the front of the Atom. I think there's enough space to mount the switch to the left of the headphone socket.

MrOtto

Are any of these review measurements on the RCA output to measure the quality as a preamp for a power amp?

Veri

Master Contributor
Are any of these review measurements on the RCA output to measure the quality as a preamp for a power amp?
Pre-amp out is identical/wired to the headphone out. Same performance.

MrOtto

Ok, so would be great to use to reduce volume between a DAC and a poweramp with no gain control. Only missing a remote controlled volume wheel. Would also liked a RCA second input instead of 3.5mm but to connect a phono preamp, but a 3.5mm to RCA adapter can be used to connect it. Would 3.5mm to RCA affect audio quality?

Veri

Master Contributor
3.5mm to RCA shouldn't affect anything, no. Just don't buy the flimsiest cheapest one out there :)

SeaNNyT

I have owned this amp for a while, I paired it with a topping d50s. I was thinking about gettign the LCD-2F, and was wonderign if it has enough power to properly drive those headphones?

Gradius

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Can anyone suggest me an alternative 220V power brick for Atom AMP?

Hi. I have the original one.

But since it weights 1kg, and the plastic is really thin, is easy to damage.

Mine's also got damaged. I have to use super glue on it.

They should have provided a better one, more study.

But yes. The original one is 16VAC @1A.

Gradius

Attachments

• 20210105_113145.jpg
    20210105_113145.jpg
    935.7 KB · Views: 183

landco

I do not advise buying JDS Labs products, one of my power supplies is broken, and the volume control is rustling on the amplifier. The new PSU was shipped free, but the overall quality is poor.

Sukie

Forum Donor
I do not advise buying JDS Labs products, one of my power supplies is broken, and the volume control is rustling on the amplifier. The new PSU was shipped free, but the overall quality is poor.
I do advise buying the JDS Labs products because my Atom HPA works well. Is that how it works? Or would it be better to state your experience without offering sweeping advice?

Gradius

Like I said, the plastic case makes it bad (power supply).

As for volume, no problem here.

Top Bottom