• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of New JDS Labs Atom Headphone Amp

MrGoodbits

Forum Donor
That may not necessarily be true either. Dr. Sean Olive at Harman conducted a sound quality test of 61 in-ear headphones, with the most expensive one at $3k a pair. He concluded there was no correlation between price and sound quality. The "best sounding' headphone was a $100 pair EQ to the Harman target curve. So, if Dr. Olive is correct, we can get the very best headphone sound for under $300 USD (DAC + amp + headphone).
https://seanolive.blogspot.com/2017/02/twirt-337-predicting-headphone-sound_17.html
I think you're basically right. Dr. Olive is saying that the $100 IE, when EQ'd to Harman curve, sounds better than 61 other IEs (presumably not all individually EQ'd to Harmon--maybe I'm wrong).

BUT what if you could EQ'd every tested headphone/IEM to Harman? I think that would level the playing field a lot, there may be some real gems up there between $500 and $1000. And then we're into @solderdude's issues that there's more to headphones than frequency response, like THD (or very narrow peaks and valleys that resemble comb filters that our brains will misinterpret as HRTF).

NTK

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I found a link to one of Dr. Olive's headphone measurements presentations. I was wrong in that when he said IE headphones, he really meant IE headphones. That test was only one of the multiple tests they had performed.
https://www.listeninc.com/wp/media/Perception_and_-Measurement_of_Headphones_Sean_Olive.pdf
I think you're basically right. Dr. Olive is saying that the $100 IE, when EQ'd to Harman curve, sounds better than 61 other IEs (presumably not all individually EQ'd to Harmon--maybe I'm wrong).

BUT what if you could EQ'd every tested headphone/IEM to Harman? I think that would level the playing field a lot, there may be some real gems up there between $500 and $1000. And then we're into @solderdude's issues that there's more to headphones than frequency response, like THD (or very narrow peaks and valleys that resemble comb filters that our brains will misinterpret as HRTF).
I believe only the headphone identified as EQ'd was EQ'd in each test. I know Dr. Olive's claim was extremely controversial, and he may not have the last word in this. I myself have spent good $$$ on a pair of Beyerdynamic T1 when they first came out too, and have no desire to look stupid.

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
Fuck harman target, especially the IE one sounds completely shit. Etymotic target FTW.

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
To those of you who haven't used the type of measurement equipments Sean used, you can't just simply eq out of measurements especially in the high frequency. If you want more details, PM me. I don't want to sound like a smart ass in public...

magicscreen

The Atom just amplifies. If you want sound to change or get 'warmer' you need something else...

The Atom has been saved!

I have managed to listen some Pink Floyd vinyl rip (turntable->phono preamp->ADC->24 bit/192kHz file), and the sound is great! I cannot believe it.
It is much better than listening the inferior CD version. (pc dvd drive->exact audio copy->16bit/44kHz wav file)

norman

Which model of Khardas Tone Board (VIM or Generic) should I choose to pair with JDS Atom? Can some one share the link to purchase KTB from USA? Thanks.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Whats the max power you can put into hd600?

The Atom can deliver 250mW (not clipping)
The HD600 driver is rated at 200mW continuous.
HD650 is rated at 500mW continuous.
Both can handle more peak power when playing music.

100mW is already pretty loud.

norman

Thank you for valuable information and the links. Can you please share the link to purchase the Frost's case? and how much work is required to assemble the board and the case?

norman

dsissitka

It depends on the printer you choose. Looking at my purchase history I'd expect between $16 and $21 shipped.

ngs428

It depends on the printer you choose. Looking at my purchase history I'd expect between $16 and $21 shipped.

That is a good price considering I spent that much on the aluminum DIY case, not including the time spent on it.

bobbooo

Major Contributor
And I agree FR is the largest factor but even when you EQ a turd into a flagship they won't sound the same.

For over-ear headphones at least, Sean Olive and his team showed they probably will sound the same actually, with an 85% agreement in preference ratings: https://seanolive.blogspot.com/2016/04/a-virtual-headphone-listening-test.html

While the HD 518 they used to virtualize the other headphones isn't a 'turd', it's not exactly an acclaimed audiophile masterpiece. Basically, you just need a headphone with reasonably low distortion, and capable of good extension in the bass and treble.

Last edited:
Top Bottom