• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of New JDS Labs Atom Headphone Amp

BolusOfDoom

I agree , since i am satisfied , to buy another amp just because is very good is the illness of buying

You should be proud, because even though it sounds like English isn’t your first language, I love “the illness of buying”. What a great phrase for why I browse here even though my audio stack is perfectly good.

sotiridaf

You should be proud, because even though it sounds like English isn’t your first language, I love “the illness of buying”. What a great phrase for why I browse here even though my audio stack is perfectly good.

Haha...the first step to cure something is the admitance that you have it..

Guetta

Hello
How is it possible that I have bass distortion when I am using high gain on Atom at low volume, but don't have the distortion when using low gain at very high listening volume? I have Beyer DT990 Pro and Khadas Tone Board as a DAC

AllanDavidson

Hello
How is it possible that I have bass distortion when I am using high gain on Atom at low volume, but don't have the distortion when using low gain at very high listening volume? I have Beyer DT990 Pro and Khadas Tone Board as a DAC

Volume Control is just the attenuation of the amp sinal, at maximum volume you have 0db (full signal).

Gain Control try to artificially amplify the signal for your decide, so you will (almost) ever will have distortion.

Guetta

Volume Control is just the attenuation of the amp sinal, at maximum volume you have 0db (full signal).

Gain Control try to artificially amplify the signal for your decide, so you will (almost) ever will have distortion.
Windows volume needs to be set to 96% in my case to avoid clipping. Now it is perfect and I am super happy.

Last edited:

Turn1

Hi All,
I have only read about 8 pages of this thread, so I apologize if I missed this info from earlier.

I am dialing in my stereo set up :) I have a Schiit Mani preamp from my turntable, running to my stereo amplifier. It sounds great to me, but doesn't have a headphone jack.
I just got some 600 ohm Beyerdynamic 880 chrome headphones, and want to get the most out of them I can for under another $100.

My amplifier (down the line from my preamp) provides 2.5 milliVolts of power to the headphones.

1 - will the JDS Labs Atom amp hooked directly from the turntable bring out more detail or richness in sound on my 880s than the headphone jack on my stereo amplifier provides now?
2 - if I get the Atom amp, can I eliminate the Schiit Mani preamp running to my stereo?

Thanks

audiopile

No. The mani is doing two things -equlization and amplification. You need both -however -you also need to be able to drive 600 ohm load of your 'phones -the Atom will do a very nice job of that. Mani -into Atom onto 600 ohm Beyer's should be plenty loud and very sweet.

Turn1

Hey, thanks for the details audiopile, I appreciate that.

Think I will try an Atom and see what I get from the set up!

AnalogSteph

Major Contributor
Does anyone else go "uh-oh" when hearing about the combination of vinyl + headphones?

While not playing stuff aloud is a good way of getting the best performance out of your turntable, headphones are like putting a magnifying glass on the many possible imperfections of vinyl playback. Listening to good, possibly cleaned-up rips is one thing, but an average record player with average quality records? Snap, crackle, pop - clear as day. High-frequency IMD (and possibly more than average due to mistracking or record wear) - ditto. Rumble? Yep. (OK, speed inaccuracy and wow/flutter would still be the same.)
Before long, this could develop into a case of severe vinyl audiophilia with episodes of wet playing and a drained wallet. ;)

audiopile

Basically playing LP's has always been a pretty much two groups of users experience : 1.) One group is seeking perfection -this obviously starts with the individual LP it's self. Historically - these guys typically have 12-14 records and the opinion that most records are too noisy to be enjoyed -despite this opinion-they will spend amazing amounts of money and effort trying to get those 12-14 LP's to sound their best. As a bottom feeder audiopile I enjoy buying their rejects -both LP's and equipment. 2.) I fall into the second group of LP nutz - basically -to a fair degree -I listen to the music and ignore the noise. Obviously there's a threshold for this - it's a wetware adaptation based on 60+ years of listening to LP's (throw in lousy hearing). But when forced by SWMBO'd work schedule to listen to headphones -I do tend to listen to mostly new LP's and not so much to my thrift store finds- less noise is really a benefit that is appreciated thru a headphone rig. As to the distortion issue inherent to LP playback - cr@p turntables sound lousy on anything you playback thru- good TT's (many millions have been made) have distortion (IF properly set up) below the threshold of my hearing -EXCEPT everything in the LP world makes a difference - so this just can't be right :- )

audiopile

That is a burning question for Amir . Just what is the S/N ratio of a Shakti stone ? Is it much effected by the howl's of laughter from friends or of pain from you when your SO discovers how much you paid for it ?

magicscreen

That is a burning question for Amir . Just what is the S/N ratio of a Shakti stone ? Is it much effected by the howl's of laughter from friends or of pain from you when your SO discovers how much you paid for it ?
I do not think the science nowadays is able to measure the S/N ratio of a Shakti stone.
Never mind, the Shakti stone cannot replace the chassis function. :(

shellback

Audio Company
I'm looking at purchasing an Atom very soon and was reading the JDS blog earlier.

Confirmed rumor is that there is an Atom DAC in the works that'll be released soon.

It'll be interesting to see how well it performs. An Atom stack would be pretty darn cool.

CerealKiller

I'm looking at purchasing an Atom very soon and was reading the JDS blog earlier.

Confirmed rumor is that there is an Atom DAC in the works that'll be released soon.

It'll be interesting to see how well it performs. An Atom stack would be pretty darn cool.
Hopefully it matches the atom form factor better than My actual stack!

Attachments

• IMG_20200418_100048.jpg
    IMG_20200418_100048.jpg
    424.3 KB · Views: 243

PuX

where is this rumor coming from? nevermind, searched the forum.

I already have OL DAC and EL DAC, both are pretty good, although my OL DAC broke after ~2 years but was repaired by the company.
maybe this time they could release a DAC that matches the best one in measurements.

CerealKiller

Why 2 atoms :p
Well... Actually i like both my headphones and speakers playing at same time, it just nice to explore tracks in hp, take them off and transition to the room full of sound.
Before the topping+jds i was rocking an audiogd R2R11 (fidelity jokes aside) it can play both hp out and pre out at same time even if there is no independdnt level control, (and it's actually really fun to leasten to) so i wanted a combo that was súper clean but also gave pre out control, jds atom is a great pre, but won't do dual out, so a secondone is still cheap enough beeing under $200 it does everything i would want. Great amplificación, independent volume control in both hp and spk, and can roll two pair of diferent hp with wife or friends.

Hopefully it matches the atom form factor better than My actual stack!

Yeah I have a Grace SDAC and it doesn't fit nicely. I'm really interested to see how it fits with the EL DAC and EL DAC. I doubt it would be up to the point of the EL, because it'll be in the Atom line, but if it beats Grace then good on them.

Top Bottom