• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of New JDS Labs Atom Headphone Amp

confucius_zero

Addicted to Fun and Learning
has anything surpassed it in every way on single ended performance? I'm not sure...

confucius_zero

confucius_zero

magicscreen

Can I wrap my Atom in aluminium foil?
I cannot believe I have bought an amplifier with plastic case. Violating the basics of electronics.

magicscreen

Since when the electronics are "allergic of some kind" to the plastic? o_O
I was thinking about preventing the electromagnetic interference.
99% of the amplifiers are in metal chassis. So that is for only cosmetics and good-looking?

magicscreen

RF is still an issue and should be considered, directly on the input connections and through casework. Metal case will perform better for shielding however it should be stressed that the end result, how sensitive the unit is to RF, will depend on many circuit variables and it really is not necessarily true that this unit would have any I'll effects due to a plastic case under normal conditions. Ie not living next to an AM transmitter.
I've found this. It is okay.
Only I living next to 7 cheap SMPS in plastic case.

Last edited:

Windofrce

Hello! Can anyone tell me what in terms of performance I am losing if I use Atom in high gain? Do I get much more distortion, noise etc? I am using it with my Beyer DT 990 Pro 250 ohm and I just want to give them more punch and that is exactly what high gain do to them. :)

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company

Windofrce

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
Then whatever they say about how powerful and good this amp is, it is not good enough to drive 250 ohms headphones if I must use it in low gain. Some tracks need more power and high gain. :/
Have you maxed out the volume?

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
Ok, then you can use the high gain settings.
One thing to notice is that gain is just increasing the input voltage for the output stage.
As you can play happily with high gain, the amp doesn't internally clip. It's still within the capability of the amp.
There are two possibilities.
First is your DAC has too low output. Because I have used dt880 dt990pro 250ohm and I never get to use high gain and it's more than enough.
Second is simply you like it loud. With normal 2V from dac you get 16mW power. To get full power of Atom(regardless of gain setting) you need 9.5V at the output. And consequently 9.5V at the input if you use low gain. What this means is that it's not that low gain is not powerful enough but the input is not high enough. It's possible to have higher input voltage with measurement equipment like AP. But it's uncommon to have that high voltage with consumer dacs. And that's why high gain setting is there.
So you should happily enjoy atom with high gain.

EDIT: More powerful doesn't mean it will play louder. Powerful is you can play louder without clipping. 0dB gain setting on these amps mean that it will not amplify the voltage but to buffer it with low output impedance, high current output. These amps will certainly play to the same loudness.

Last edited:

Swtoby

I've found this. It is okay.
Only I living next to 7 cheap SMPS in plastic case.
My Atom is near a similar number of SMPS and it's not too far from the power strip. It's also near the wireless router, power amp and TV. All accomodated on the same rack. No problems in terms of noise. I think JDS Labs knows what they're doing. For me one upshot of the plastic case is I don't get a shock when I touch the unit. Unlike what can happen with my gear in metal boxes.

Last edited:
Top Bottom