• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of New JDS Labs Atom Headphone Amp

pendre

Hi!
I have a TEAC UD-503 DAC which I use together with a Beyerdynamic Amiron Home (250 Ohm impedance) and a pair of AudioQuest NightOwl Carbon (25 Ohm impedance) headphones. My question is if inserting a JDS Labs Atom in my set would mean improvement compared to the built-in amplifier of the TEAC UD-503.
All opinions are welcome.
Thanks.

Last edited:

Brianc

I just got the Atom a few days ago (kudos to JDS for the quick delivery time), and I'm still getting a feel for it. A question about the preamp capability: if I connect to another amp with volume control, is it best to use one or the other? It seems to work better to set the Atom to low gain and maximum volume and use the other amp's volume control to adjust. But I don't want to damage anything.

AndrewDavis

There are people out there who have fun seeking "synergy" between amplifiers/dacs and headphones. It is likely that this is a mix of placebo effect and/or a genuine preference for noise and distortion. The Atom seems to have all of the clean power needed for most headphone enthusiasts. I can see people (including myself) wanting something this clean, but with more power, and with old school hifi build quality. I would pay for that.

Somewhere on the HiFi related interwebs I read someone describing this as "different flavors of distortion.". That phrasing really helped my thinking about what "high fidelity" really is- as in "fidelity to the source material."

solderdude

Grand Contributor
set the Atom to low gain and maximum volume and use the other amp's volume control to adjust.

This... and you won't damage anything.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
how good is the 50mv snr?
Here you go:

index.php

JohsonChou

What's the consensus on the Grace SDAC vs Khadas Tone Board?

One has an enclosure and the other one does not ?

Exactly... I can't tell much of a difference by my ear. I did 3D print a enclosure for the Tone Board so it was not too bad. I think SDAC+O2 that Massdrop sells is a pretty good buy if your headphone is efficient

frogmeat69

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor

Veri

Master Contributor
To have one sent to the U.S., seems like the shipping cost will be more than the actual case, or am I wrong?
I don't have the equipment, or skills to make my own enclosure, that's why I don't own the Tone Board. Anyone in the States making and selling quality cases ?? Never noticed anyone actually selling them.
I believe there's some 3d designs which you can get made with whichever 3d printing service is cheapest
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...ase-enclosure-for-the-khadas-tone-board.5054/

That's how people did it before the audiophonics premade option

Malfunkt

Is it a myth or actually true? People in my local group aren't exactly fond of technical aspects or measurement as far as i know , because usually when there is a discussion of an amplifier they don't really bring out the measurements , unlike you guys here!

This is myth - at least for the Focal Utopia. The requirements to power the Utopia are relatively miniscule for a headphone of its calibre. I have no problem powering them from an O2/ODAC - which for all intents and purposes performs more than sufficient. Spend a tiny bit more and you have yourself a JDS Labs Atom and EL DAC, which probably won't sound any better.

Really, by the time you have the money to buy the Utopia, like an expensive car, it's hard to resist the bias to start adding bells and whistles. But they aren't needed. Some really want to believe in magic, and feel important by owning esoteric objects that have unworldly properties.

@solderdude has said it well. Though, I personally found the Utopia performed at a level above the HD800, I very much respect his measurements and approach. Testing with a range of music, but also with high quality binaural environment recordings, the Utopia sounded more realistic, holographic and appeared to have better transient detail. Big caveat though, I did not ever bother messing with EQ with my HD800 (I actually enjoyed its presentation as is). I find the Utopia as close to perfection as I've heard with a dynamic driver headphone, though perhaps an EQ'd HD800 can match it. Part of the attraction, was having a headphone that out-of-the-box performed so well while remaining efficient enough I could listen to it off an iPhone and still use it with an integrated amp. Worth the extra $$$. I know a few think the top end is a bit bright, but I don't get that... not with finely recorded music. My HD540 is brighter ( still a gem though!).

solderdude

Grand Contributor
In stock form the Utopia certainly is a better choice than the HD800(S) and much closer to neutral/realistic. It can easily be driven by the Atom.
However, when you splashed out $ 4k for a headphone that has a high-end feel and looks. The plastic lightweight box, that is the Atom, doesn't seem 'appropriate' any more, technically it certainly is more than sufficient.

It would be a good idea for JDS to market a nice metal one (with better relays). It would probably sell but not in the qty's the Atom does.

magicscreen

Should I turn off the Atom and after that unplug the AC adapter?
Or can I just unplug the AC adapter when the Atom is turned on?
Or is it better to buy a power strip with a switch?
I do not want to leave the AC adapter plugged in, it becomes very warm.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
To switch off: Turn off the power (volpot all the way down) and pull the AC adapter from the wall (or switch off using power strip).

To switch on: Plug in AC adapter (or switch on power strip) and then turn the amp on.

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
This is myth - at least for the Focal Utopia. The requirements to power the Utopia are relatively miniscule for a headphone of its calibre. I have no problem powering them from an O2/ODAC - which for all intents and purposes performs more than sufficient. Spend a tiny bit more and you have yourself a JDS Labs Atom and EL DAC, which probably won't sound any better.

Really, by the time you have the money to buy the Utopia, like an expensive car, it's hard to resist the bias to start adding bells and whistles. But they aren't needed. Some really want to believe in magic, and feel important by owning esoteric objects that have unworldly properties.

@solderdude has said it well. Though, I personally found the Utopia performed at a level above the HD800, I very much respect his measurements and approach. Testing with a range of music, but also with high quality binaural environment recordings, the Utopia sounded more realistic, holographic and appeared to have better transient detail. Big caveat though, I did not ever bother messing with EQ with my HD800 (I actually enjoyed its presentation as is). I find the Utopia as close to perfection as I've heard with a dynamic driver headphone, though perhaps an EQ'd HD800 can match it. Part of the attraction, was having a headphone that out-of-the-box performed so well while remaining efficient enough I could listen to it off an iPhone and still use it with an integrated amp. Worth the extra $$$. I know a few think the top end is a bit bright, but I don't get that... not with finely recorded music. My HD540 is brighter ( still a gem though!).
I found hd800s sounds better than utopia better than hd800 and Stellia sounds little bit better than hd800s.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Tastes and preferences differ perhaps ?
What's 'better' for person A may be 'worse' for person B.

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
Tastes and preferences differ perhaps ?
What's 'better' for person A may be 'worse' for person B.
Yes sure. But I don't consider hd800 and hd800s to be any close. Utopia is probably sitting in between the two in some ways than different.

Top Bottom