• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of New JDS Labs Atom Headphone Amp

frogmeat69

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
All the praise this amp is getting made me decide to try one for myself, got a choice of the Topping D10 or D50 to match it with, should be fun, and might make me think more about selling off more of my "high end" stuff if it powers all of my headphones nicely.

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
Rca adn 3.5 shouldn't have measurable difference. I use 3.5 all the time.
However, 3.5 on my atom just doesn't measure as good as rca. Higher distortion and higher 50hz noise.

bboris77

Rca adn 3.5 shouldn't have measurable difference. I use 3.5 all the time.
However, 3.5 on my atom just doesn't measure as good as rca. Higher distortion and higher 50hz noise.

I am very intrigued about this as I use both inputs on the Atom. How did you measure the differences and could you please share your results?

Amir, if you have your Atom, is it possible to confirm that the 3.5mm input measures worse than the rca input?

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
I am very intrigued about this as I use both inputs on the Atom. How did you measure the differences and could you please share your results?

Amir, if you have your Atom, is it possible to confirm that the 3.5mm input measures worse than the rca input?
It's probably just my unit. And I don't care anymore. Also the first time I plugged in the rca the distortion is even higher. I'll retest now and share what's going on.

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company

Alright, it is probably the switch wasn't functioning correctly at the beginning. Now the distortion is very low.

Reyer

Wasn't Xonar STX considered a bad option for high quality solutions because it was made as a PC sound card?
I mean... one of the reasons people were discouraging others from buying it was all of the noise that residue inside the case.

kprog

I can assure you that with khadas, inside the PC case there is 0 noise.
I can put Atomo to maximum volume with the music stopped, and it is impossible to hear any noise.

maxxevv

Major Contributor
Anybody had delays for the Atom deliveries over the past 2 weeks ?

Mine got pushed back 2 weeks (already) from its originally slated shipping date.

SergeyPe

Anybody had delays for the Atom deliveries over the past 2 weeks ?

Mine got pushed back 2 weeks (already) from its originally slated shipping date.
J've got an e-mail from Jude Hopper today stating that a new batch of buttons was on the way and the delayed shipments would be out by the end of next week. The previous batch was lost by FedEx hence the delay in final assembly/ shipment.

maxxevv

Major Contributor
J've got an e-mail from Jude Hopper today stating that a new batch of buttons was on the way and the delayed shipments would be out by the end of next week. The previous batch was lost by FedEx hence the delay in final assembly/ shipment.

Guess we all had the same email.

JohnBooty

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Want to replace the plastic knobs on your Atoms? This guy on our subreddit found some nice-looking aluminum knobs that fit perfectly, he says.

If the blue color isn't to your taste, they come in black and other colors as well.

https://www.reddit.com/r/BudgetAudiophile/comments/b5tfqb
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07FW3R2WB

Not my picture (don't even own an Atom!) -- all credit goes to the guy in the link. Just thought some folks here might like it.
krVD7E8.jpg

Get a hearing test

Idk i generally find that if packaging looks cheap or the housing is plastic , the insides are of way higher quality. So just by switching from plastic to aluminium it would cost probably 30 dollars more. This was very apparent buying cheap chinese IEM's in 10-20$ range. They look cool, weight a lot but die in a few weeks. Basically buying metal worth. On the other hand picking up some philips plastic casing iem the sound is great and lasts for years in my experience. One where money goes to the casing and lousy internals and the other opposite.
Yeah mine was shipped yday too expect to get it next week.

Top Bottom