• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of New JDS Labs Atom Headphone Amp

Roen

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I keep checking JDS labs to see if the Atom is in stock yet. Would the Modi 3 be a good match for this amp?
I suppose it'll be ok, but you can get better measuring gear than that for similar price. Just look at the master SINAD graph.

gmrpnk21

I suppose it'll be ok, but you can get better measuring gear than that for similar price. Just look at the master SINAD graph.
I'm not seeing anything that's better for around the same price point on his chart. Which one am I missing?

Roen

Tone Board is the obvious choice, but the Modi 3 is no slouch.

I picked my Tone Board + DIY Frame up for $74 during Black Friday.

gmrpnk21

Last edited:

Roen

Unfortunately, it doesn't have toslink which is what I'll be connecting it to my system with. Otherwise that looks really nice.

Edit.
Can I use one of those optical cable to mini spdif connector adapters?

Can’t you do spdif over coax?

gmrpnk21

Can’t you do spdif over coax?
This is connecting to my TV's optical out. I'm using this mainly for gaming and movies, and occasionally hooking up to my laptop for music.

Edit AGAIN. Sorry, I was a bit lost on the spdif thing as I'm new. Apparently I would need another converter. Apologies if I ask dumb questions!

Last edited:

Roen

This is connecting to my TV's optical out. I'm using this mainly for gaming and movies, and occasionally hooking up to my laptop for music.

Edit AGAIN. Sorry, I was a bit lost on the spdif thing as I'm new. Apparently I would need another converter. Apologies if I ask dumb questions!

Cheapest one I’ve found in my 2 min search. You could do better.

https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=2948

Roen

@amirm any quality loss converting digital optical to digital coaxial?

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
@amirm any quality loss converting digital optical to digital coaxial?
No. I have one of those to test just to be sure they don't screw it up!

Roen

No. I have one of those to test just to be sure they don't screw it up!
I should have said via an inline adapter (i.e. Source -> Toslink -> Adapter -> Coaxial -> DAC), rather than just comparing outputs, but I imagine your answer is the same in either case.

@gmrpnk21

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
I should have said via an inline adapter (i.e. Source -> Toslink -> Adapter -> Coaxial -> DAC), rather than just comparing outputs, but I imagine your answer is the same in either case.

@gmrpnk21
I answered as you meant. On the phone so can't type much. :)

RickGabriel

This is why I left head-fi.org - real measurements and objective appreciation for engineering. Man... 99$ ??? My respect to JDS Labs for their engineering.

Yup. We truly are in the golden age of audio. Great and cheap! As for headfi... I lurked around there for a while and yeah, not somewhere I really wanna be. Too much audiophile BS and unhinged people taking things waaaay too seriously. It just wasn't fun and honestly as someone who is relatively new and is just really getting into audio over maybe the last few years it kinda turned me off to the whole thing.

The reason I signed up here is because everyone seems kinda chilled out and has actual science and measurements to back up their opinions, not just saying stuff like "well, the DAC had a lot of glare and doesn't resolve enough" or something like that. Kinda reminds me of those overly pretentious wine critics :p

D

Deleted member 4708

Yup. We truly are in the golden age of audio. Great and cheap! As for headfi... I lurked around there for a while and yeah, not somewhere I really wanna be. Too much audiophile BS and unhinged people taking things waaaay too seriously. It just wasn't fun and honestly as someone who is relatively new and is just really getting into audio over maybe the last few years it kinda turned me off to the whole thing.

The reason I signed up here is because everyone seems kinda chilled out and has actual science and measurements to back up their opinions, not just saying stuff like "well, the DAC had a lot of glare and doesn't resolve enough" or something like that. Kinda reminds me of those overly pretentious wine critics :p

You nailed it!
My background is Math / CS so I do appreciate rigorosity in one's explanation and measurements (imo) are good part of it when it comes to audio. I hope this site will preserve its laid back (while rigorous) character.
Personally - I can deal with people's audiophile BS as long as they chill out (well - to a point, when the logic in my head tries to take over :)). One can state an opinion (based or not on measurements) in a decent manner; or he can try to impose ("I know better / listen to me"); attitude matters a lot.
Another part of people's personality that I often notice on blog sites is how jumpy somebody is (aka saving face / being an authority / etc). It is bound that at times you might not express yourself in the clearest way; insecure people generally take offense in that (in just about everything)... I have not noticed anything like that on this site.
For example, I criticized Chord Mojo based on my own personal experience - and I do understand that my Mojo might not behave how the majority of the Mojos behave after 2 years. Nobody took that personally. People just related how they like their Mojo and how they would buy again - I respect that!
Good bunch here on this site!

Last edited by a moderator:

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
I do appreciate rigorosity

Rigorosity - sounds like a word I'd make up, but it's not...

Thanks, my vocabularity has been expandiated.

Gggggas

Guys I looked around the forums but couldn't find a thread where we Request/want to buy stuff with the help of other members.
Excuse me if I didn't see it , could you give me the link? I desperately want my hands on this little beast.

Veri

Master Contributor
Guys I looked around the forums but couldn't find a thread where we Request/want to buy stuff with the help of other members.
Excuse me if I didn't see it , could you give me the link? I desperately want my hands on this little beast.
Basically, group buys? What is it that you need help with?

Top Bottom