• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of New JDS Labs Atom Headphone Amp

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Doesn't the metal knob introduce static risk like the L30 had?

And I think I have the same cable for HD560S.
Static electricity can build up on plastic and it can also migrate across surfaces to another location... very strange stuff static electricity is.

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Doesn't the metal knob introduce static risk like the L30 had?

And I think I have the same cable for HD560S.
I only ever touch my amp whilst wearing rubber gloves! Covid / STD's and other pyschological issues. :confused:

38165237-hand-wearing-rubber-glove-make-hand-like-number-two-use-for-healthy-or-medic-.jpg

EDIT: yes, that's an aftermarket 1.5m cable for my HD560s, you're right!

magicscreen

This is why the plastic case is a "good" idea. YT video
It is a shame if this so-called scientific site does not know this fact.

donunus

I'm sorry in case I missed it but has anyone compared the atom with the newer atom+?

luft262

Since the SINAD was higher with high gain does that mean if you own one of these you should be listening with high gain and not low gain?

Thanks!

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Since the SINAD was higher with high gain does that mean if you own one of these you should be listening with high gain and not low gain?

Thanks!
Hi, SINAD is actually not higher with High Gain active, that graph is very easy to be misinterpreted. I've gone through the same thought process as you, but here's the answers you're looking for, follow back the discussion from here:
So, if your headphone gets loud enough on Low Gain, then use it on Low Gain as you will have better SINAD.

Soniclife

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
So, if your headphone gets loud enough on Low Gain, then use it on Low Gain as you will have better SINAD.
Whilst technically true they both outperform the human ear, so use which ever you want, there is no wrong choice. The best reason for using the low gain is so the vol pot is in a higher setting and probably more balanced, that will vary from unit to unit though.

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Whilst technically true they both outperform the human ear, so use which ever you want, there is no wrong choice. The best reason for using the low gain is so the vol pot is in a higher setting and probably more balanced, that will vary from unit to unit though.
Well, it's silly to use the headphone amp in a mode where it's technically performing worse, so of course you'd use it in Low Gain if it was loud enough, and also for the left & right balancing reason that you mention too. I measured my volume pot variation in left & right balance when I first got my miniDSP EARS a few weeks ago and it's fine apart from at the lowest volume levels.

Soniclife

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Well, it's silly to use the headphone amp in a mode where it's technically performing worse, so of course you'd use it in Low Gain if it was loud enough
No it's silly to confuse people with the idea that better SINAD beyond a point matters at all, it doesn't, so it should not form part of our thinking. We have been given the information to allow us to make much freer choices on what to buy, and how to use them knowing it will not change the sound, let's embrace that freedom.

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
No it's silly to confuse people with the idea that better SINAD beyond a point matters at all, it doesn't, so it should not form part of our thinking. We have been given the information to allow us to make much freer choices on what to buy, and how to use them knowing it will not change the sound, let's embrace that freedom.
I think you're grasping at straws really, if you want to intentionally run your gear so that it measures more poorly then that's your choice, but it is silly - if there are no downsides to having your gear run in an optimised fashion, then that is what you'd do......discussions about whether or not the SINAD difference is audible or not is moot.....we already agreed that running the volume dial further up the range is likely beneficial to ensure channel balance, you may as well do so to get the best SINAD too.......otherwise why bother using a site like ASR and buying good measuring gear like the JDS Labs Atom here......it's silly to run it in a way that reduces it's SINAD when there is no reason to do so - just run it in Low Gain if it gets loud enough - pretty simple really. No point trying to argue the opposite case using silly phrases like "...let's embrace freedom".

luft262

Hi, SINAD is actually not higher with High Gain active, that graph is very easy to be misinterpreted. I've gone through the same thought process as you, but here's the answers you're looking for, follow back the discussion from here:
That's what I thought, but wasn't understanding the results. Thanks!

Top Bottom