• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of Neurochrome Modulus-286 Amp

dweeeeb2

I think the tingling sensation is due to the leakage current through capacitors that are used in the EMI filter

Some of the EU countries don't use grounded outlets - or if they do they may have an ungrounded power strip plugged into a grounded outlet. In addition, they often use non-polarized plugs. If you're in this situation and find the tingling bothersome, try reversing the mains plug. That will make the tingling go away.
Thanks. Im in Aus, the model 30 doesn’t have a ground pin. Ill try reversing the plug.

Just FYI. I don’t have „tingling“ with neither the Mod268 nor the Mod686 amps I have (linear PS and grounded connections, location Europe).
Cheers, its just the first time I’d heard someone describe my situation. The store owner thought I was nuts.

renkitch

I built my own amp using a single LM3886 chip for each channel, powered by a 300 W unregulated 50 Hz supply (purely for reliability and 'on-demand' capability). I use it to drive a super-efficient Transmission Line speaker (8" driver, parallel rear-firing duct, with some 'tricks' added). The sound, and the feel, that comes out of the speakers is absolutely stunning (at 5 Watts or at 55 Watts). The bass power is significant - it's like being in an exclusive London night club, who are using a super-high-end PA (I was a friend of a friend). Naturally, the speakers have a distortion that's well above that of the LM3886, then factor in the chaos a room adds. So, I would say that the Modulus 286 is going to be a notable improvement on what I have, which is good to begin with. I have an account with Hypex, but I remembered a voice in my head that kept reminding me; "we don't stock any class D amps (of any brand) because we have had so many returns due to reliability issues". Considering the effort it took to make a nice-looking amp, I don't want to have to make another amp again for at least 5 years. That said, what do I know - I've inserted a 31-band stereo graphic equaliser in my system to tune into my hearing preference (mostly using cut and not boost)...

manisandher

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I've got 12 Neurochrome modules (in two different active systems). In my main system, they drive 109dB/W@1m compression horn tweeters. Only the slightest hint of hiss with ear right next to horn's mouth.

They are brilliant amps IMHO.

Mani.

tomchr

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Audio Company
Forum Donor
So, I would say that the Modulus 286 is going to be a notable improvement on what I have, which is good to begin with.
Yep. The Modulus architecture takes the LM3886 to a whole new level.

Tom

Top Bottom