• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of Neurochrome HP-1 High-Performance Amp

Azeia

So now I'm curious. I've put together a survey with one (1) question. If you have a split second, I would greatly appreciate your input here: https://forms.gle/GnDPFA8f2pnu3Neb6
If it's really only between those two options, then I voted for icons, because with the power, headphone, and volume all as text it feels too "busy"; especially since "headphone" is a larger word compared to the others.

As I mentioned earlier, I think only the "gain" and "input" icons would be less familiar to people, so if there were a third option, that's probably what i'd choose to make into text, and leave the others as icons. (sorry for mentioning it again, I just wasn't sure if the first post was noticed or not.)

tomchr

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Audio Company
Forum Donor
As I mentioned earlier, I think only the "gain" and "input" icons would be less familiar to people, so if there were a third option, that's probably what i'd choose to make into text, and leave the others as icons. (sorry for mentioning it again, I just wasn't sure if the first post was noticed or not.)
I did see your post. That was in part what motivated me to get the survey going, actually. I do get that the input symbol (which is in common use, actually) is not well recognized. The gain symbol, I just made up, so I'm not surprised that nobody recognizes it. Schiit uses progressively taller bars, which makes about as much sense as a triangle.

The switches are the latching pushbutton types, so I guess in theory I should accompany them with the "top hat" symbols showing the functionality with the switched depressed and released. I think that would just clutter the front panel, though. I'm a bit more of a "push the buttons until sound comes out" type in that regard. Besides, the "top hat" symbols don't make a lot of sense either. Not to me at least, but I've been wrong before. ;)

Tom

Azeia

I did see your post. That was in part what motivated me to get the survey going, actually. I do get that the input symbol (which is in common use, actually) is not well recognized. The gain symbol, I just made up, so I'm not surprised that nobody recognizes it. Schiit uses progressively taller bars, which makes about as much sense as a triangle.
Yeah the Schiit ones totally lost me when I first saw them on some of their gear.

I figured maybe the reason you settled on all-text vs all-icons is due to consistency, which could be an issue I guess. I'm aware you have a psych degree, so maybe there's a rationale there regarding visual consistency that I'm not aware of.

One idea regarding "all text" would be to just change "headphone" to "phone" or "phones", which is commonly seen on many amps that use all-text, which at least keeps all of the words smaller and evenly spaced apart, thus less cluttered. (if you're curious which of those two is most common, it seems to be the plural "phones", i see it on many high-end A/V receivers from top brands on google images.)

The switches are the latching pushbutton types, so I guess in theory I should accompany them with the "top hat" symbols showing the functionality with the switched depressed and released. I think that would just clutter the front panel, though. I'm a bit more of a "push the buttons until sound comes out" type in that regard. Besides, the "top hat" symbols don't make a lot of sense either. Not to me at least, but I've been wrong before. ;)
Yeah those top hat ones are weird, I think those are also from AV receivers. I think there was a time when most people knew what they were since they were on receivers, but nowadays I'm not sure since they're a bit less commonly seen, and a lot of younger people have basic stereo setups with no receiver, and besides, all functionality is controlled digitally through menus and the remote control nowadays (or you'll have a simple softbutton with icons on the display telling you what you selected). I agree the top hats would probably clutter it up a bit, and honestly it's only the input that would be trial and error, I imagine it would be intuitive to think that depressed gain is low, and pressed in is high.

Based on what you've said about the circuit design being differential even for RCA input though, my *guess* for input would be depressed is XLR in, and pressed is RCA in, but since most users will probably use it with an RCA DAC, the opposite might be just as likely just for depressed being the most "common" use case.

tomchr

Audio Company
Forum Donor
I figured maybe the reason you settled on all-text vs all-icons is due to consistency
Yep.

I'm aware you have a psych degree, so maybe there's a rationale there regarding visual consistency that I'm not aware of.

Visual consistency would probably fall within the realm of graphic design. Consistency of user interface and user experience falls under human factors psychology. Basically stuff should work in a consistent and predictable manner. If you slide the volume control to the right or turn the volume knob clockwise, you expect the music to get louder.

The remote control for my TV is a great example of inconsistency. The buttons for volume up/down and channel up/down are next to each other, arranged in a row of four buttons. From left to right, the sequence of buttons is: Volume up, volume down, channel down, channel up. Yep. Volume down is to the right of volume up. STUPID!! I don't know how many times I've turned the volume the wrong way.

One idea regarding "all text" would be to just change "headphone" to "phone" or "phones"
Yeah. If I go with all text, I'll go with "PHONES".

Yeah those top hat ones are weird, I think those are also from AV receivers. I think there was a time when most people knew what they were since they were on receivers
I grew up in the days of A/V receivers. I found those icons confusing the first time I saw them. I remember having to play with the switch to figure out what it did to realize that the "top hat" meant "switch out" and "flat top hat" meant switch in.

I imagine it would be intuitive to think that depressed gain is low, and pressed in is high.
Except depressed and pressed are synonyms, yes... :) Switch out = unity gain. Switch in = high gain (4x/12 dB).

Based on what you've said about the circuit design being differential even for RCA input though, my *guess* for input would be depressed is XLR in, and pressed is RCA in, but since most users will probably use it with an RCA DAC, the opposite might be just as likely just for depressed being the most "common" use case.
Yep. Out = RCA. In = XLR.

Tom

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
I like the simplicity of pictorials. Text looks tacky on the front. I also find text labels get really crowded - even with 2 mm tall text (as shown below).

Tom
Hey, I like it. :) But don't let us force you into committee design. :) :)

tomchr

Audio Company
Forum Donor
Oh, I may be a pushover, but I'm not that much of a pushover. :)

Tom

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
For my part, I also don't want to be accountable with respect to anything I suggest! :D

In testing so many products, I hate having to guess what some button does in the name of using international symbols. A manual should not be necessary to operate a headphone amp. Hence my feedback for text.

tomchr

Audio Company
Forum Donor
In the ideal world, reading the manual would not be necessary. In the real world, nobody reads manuals anyway...

Then again, the symbols for power, headphones, and input are well-established (and standardized), so the only guesswork is the "triangle thingy". Hmm... What other feature could there be on a headphone amp?
I'll still leave you guessing about which position of the switch selects which input/gain, though. See "top hat" discussion above.

The (Mass)Drop THX 789 uses text, but then goes ambiguous on the gain settings (I, II, III). Actually "I" isn't a gain setting at all. It's 4 dB attenuation (-4 dB gain). "II" is +6 dB, and "III" is +16 dB. No unity setting? What gives? They also use technical jargon and abbreviations, such as "SE" for single-ended on the output. How many know what "single-ended" means?
(Mass)Drop leave you hanging regarding which input is selected and such too. I guess they didn't like the "top hat" icons either. :)

Both icons and text have their advantages and disadvantages it seems.

I'll let the survey run for a week or so. Then I'll share the results.

Tom

Crane

Forum Donor
I agree the icons do look cleaner, granted i was scratching my head on that gain one for quite a while.

However, realistically speaking once you know what they are it shouldnt matter afterwards, same goes for the manual (as long as you have one online). All you really need is an initial indicator like maybe on the box or one of those small instructional notes.

TimW

Major Contributor
2018-10-24.19-55-25.120.jpg

Looks a whole lot like the JDS Labs O2 amplifier. I own one of these so I had no problem identifying that gain symbol. I really like the clean look of symbols.

Barce

I prefer the icons too, but there's no question that Gain and Input are less universally familiar. TBH I'm still unsure of what the gain "triangle" is meant to represent. I mean, shouldn't the point of the triangle on the left, since the default is low and high ramp the signal amplification upwards? It looks like a threaded play button.

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
I prefer the icons too, but there's no question that Gain and Input are less universally familiar. TBH I'm still unsure of what the gain "triangle" is meant to represent. I mean, shouldn't the point of the triangle on the left, since the default is low and high ramp the signal amplification upwards? It looks like a threaded play button.
It's conventional symbol for gain stage.

tomchr

Audio Company
Forum Donor
The triangle symbol is often used for amplifiers and buffers in block diagrams. It's definitely a symbol that'll resonate with electrical engineers (so not your average consumer).

Example:
gain-stages.png

"Threaded play button". LOL <snort> Good one. :)

I did consider putting another volume symbol under there, but that would be confusing. Two volume controls? Two diverging lines? What would that represent?

User interfaces are hard... Same for error messages:

Tom

Azeia

The (Mass)Drop THX 789 uses text, but then goes ambiguous on the gain settings (I, II, III). Actually "I" isn't a gain setting at all. It's 4 dB attenuation (-4 dB gain). "II" is +6 dB, and "III" is +16 dB. No unity setting? What gives? They also use technical jargon and abbreviations, such as "SE" for single-ended on the output. How many know what "single-ended" means?
You know, it's funny because I was arguing with someone on discord about this many hours before you posted this; I had asked them their opinion on the icons vs text thing (they leaned towards all-text if you're curious), and when I mentioned that "headphones" seemed too long, they suggested using "SE" like on the THX AAA 789, and we proceeded to argue over that for the same reasons you just laid out. I argued it was technical jargon that most people wouldn't understand, whereas they said it was "technically correct". XD

It was only later that I remembered that most audio receivers have used the shorthand "PHONES" for a long time.

The triangle symbol is often used for amplifiers and buffers in block diagrams.
I actually figured it was related to circuits, but I wasn't sure of the specific electrical component it's meant to represent. As for the "input" symbol being more common, that's true actually, I have seen it on the back of PCs now that you've mentioned it, but I've gotten so used to just relying on the color coding of those PC jacks rather than the icons. I wouldn't be surprised if I wasn't alone on this.

User interfaces are hard...
Definitely. I've actually been using Linux on the desktop since around 2000 or so, and have seen many of the attempts over years at designing graphical interfaces, and I used to think it was so simple, like why can't they just copy Windows or something? but over the years I've started to understand a lot more about design, and realize a lot of these things are super complicated, and a lot of it is more of a science than I think most people would assume.

Of course, software interfaces are an order of magnitude more complicated than something like the front panel of a headphone amp with a handful of buttons and one knob, but yeah. =)

tomchr

Audio Company
Forum Donor
Please don't get me started on the "live tiles" in Windoze 10. Just don't... :)

tomchr

Audio Company
Forum Donor
Survey says:
- Prefer icons: 20
- Prefer text: 9
- No preference: 2
- Total respondents: 31

Thanks to all who participated. Sorry Amir. It appears you're in the minority there... :)

Full disclosure: I did not include my own vote (for icons) in the survey.

I redesigned the digital print on the panels. It looks much classier now. I'll still get professional help for the final version. A friend of mine is a graphic designer. Unfortunately, he's currently on vacation, so he won't be able to help with the design of the prototype. He'll help with the final version, though.
What you see will be for the QTY = 5 prototype run. The chassis will be black with white legend. I just submitted it to the manufacturer. I'll be demoing the amp at RMAF (Sept 6-8) so I really need to get the production going NOW or I will have nothing but my pretty face to show at RMAF.
Note that the features in red and blue will NOT be printed. Only the black features in the drawings will be printed.

Some may wonder why I keep doing prototypes. I prefer to do it that way so that I have an opportunity to iron out any kinks before the final production run. While most of my circuits perform well and come together seamlessly in the first prototype, I cringe at the thought of having to throw thousand of dollars worth of stuff in the trash because a hole was off by 0.5 mm somewhere. I've also never worked with this particular chassis vendor before, so a small prototype run gives me a chance to test-drive the vendor before throwing serious money at them. Also, the measurements from the prototypes give me something to advertise and talk about while the production ramps up.

Tom

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-07-25 at 13.03.25.png
    Screen Shot 2019-07-25 at 13.03.25.png
    30.8 KB · Views: 134
  • Screen Shot 2019-07-25 at 12.55.10.png
    Screen Shot 2019-07-25 at 12.55.10.png
    52.9 KB · Views: 172
  • Screen Shot 2019-07-25 at 12.55.19.png
    Screen Shot 2019-07-25 at 12.55.19.png
    75.1 KB · Views: 172

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
I'm not able to find a transformer from a North American vendor that will deliver enough power and work on the global market. There are a few that'll work on 120 V with US plugs, but 230/240 V versions are not available.

Is that really true? The US always seemed to have a great transformer industry I thought. In the 80s and 90s we even had multivoltage primary ranges of PCB mount shielded transformers from US makers available even in Australia.

What's happened to the world?

https://www.thomasnet.com/articles/top-suppliers/transformers-manufacturers-and-suppliers/

https://au.mouser.com/Power/Transformers/_/N-8u9mo

Don't Hammond make something suitable?

https://au.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Hammond-Manufacturing/266G14?qs=BJ2NLfHFoSkSRiBHSJe8LA== (dual 120/230 primary just an example)

Last edited:

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
Please don't get me started on the "live tiles" in Windoze 10. Just don't...

Just get rid of them all. That was the first thing I did. Only put folder shortcuts in there where it's useful. Haven't had a live tile since I installed the OS.

1564095177912.png

tomchr

Audio Company
Forum Donor
I was looking for wall warts or desktop transformers. Not discrete transformers with bare wires coming out. You can still get those.

Tom

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
I was looking for wall warts or desktop transformers. Not discrete transformers with bare wires coming out. You can still get those.

Oh, fair enough. I'd missed that in your posts.

PS. I like the new panel lettering mockup drawing and symbols.

Top Bottom