• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of NAD T758 V3 AVR

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I used the editor app with XT32 in 2017 and again in 2019 setting up other systems. I helped a friend who was trying to emulate the sound of my Dirac system for cheaper and Audyssey didn't cut it, bass was too bloated with the same target curve I use on my Dirac system, and imaging was less precise. His fix was to upgrade to this NAD. That was a few years ago and since then he has upgraded to the HTP-1 with Bass Control.

FR measurements provide a baseline to make sure the room correction isn't broken but they're not the most useful in comparing room correction software. Every Dirac user should know this already - you can do a single measurement calibration in Dirac and get perfect measurements that closely follow the target curve when measuring in REW. But a single point Dirac calibration sounds unlistenable, worse than Audyssey, which is why Dirac specifically warns you not to take too few measurements. That's because a Dirac calibration with too few measurements gives you filters that overcorrect, so the result sounds dry and dull, and the soundstage completely collapses. But it's hard to predict it would sound that way from looking at the pristine FR measurement. When you take several measurements and space them out properly as Dirac recommends, you get incredibly clean bass, more precise imaging, and a satisfying "Live" sound that I've never heard from Audyssey on three different systems. I imagine there's a reason several dozen users, many with Audyssey, introduced the miniDSP DDRC-88A into their systems with positive results, even though the 88A is not ideal because it adds an extra A/D/A conversion.

What has changed with Audyssey since 2017? In that time Dirac has improved even further with DLBC. When was the last time you used Dirac?

I would think that Audyssey users do know they should measure all 8 positions and plot REW graphs for more than just one position. I have used Dirac Live too (trial only) and I don't share your experience/opinion based on both subjective and objective measurements. That's fine as we all have our own ways and opinions. It cannot be taken as facts that one "sound better" than the other, except again, it may be "fact" for the one who makes the claim. To really compare the two objectively, we would need to see some proof based on a complete set of measurements (as you said, not just FR, single position or not..). I have never seen any published credible evidence to that effect so far.

Last edited:

Chromatischism

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I used the editor app with XT32 in 2017 and again in 2019 setting up other systems. I helped a friend who was trying to emulate the sound of my Dirac system for cheaper and Audyssey didn't cut it, bass was too bloated with the same target curve I use on my Dirac system
I was not satisfied with sub bass from my Dirac attempts, finding it to lack impact. No bloat on either system. This seems like it's down to preference. There are likely other things going on that are hard to see with basic measurements.

I also could not get as good of sub-speaker integration.

I believe most of the time the target curve for the sub with Audyssey doesn't need changing, since Dynamic EQ builds that in.

Last edited:

Chromatischism

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I imagine there's a reason several dozen users, many with Audyssey, introduced the miniDSP DDRC-88A into their systems with positive results, even though the 88A is not ideal because it adds an extra A/D/A conversion.
Keep in mind that was before the Audyssey app, which made a big difference. Back then people had very little control over the results, so it's understandable that some jumped at the chance to try Dirac. The MultEQ editor isn't as advanced but the extra options and computational ability of the smartphone are nice improvements.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
I think the 2018 models were already really solid. Weren't the only major changes to add preamp mode for all channels, the ability to load 2 Audyssey files into the AVR, and HDMI 2.1?
The DAC performance was their major failing.
"Let's get the worst out of the way first: the Denon AVR-X3500H DAC implementation is quite poor. Clearly no care was included to make it perform well. It is much worse than the amplifier at the limit which is embarrassing. I was about to give it the worst score due to that (headless panther) but the amplifier pulled through."

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
What has changed with Audyssey since 2017? In that time Dirac has improved even further with DLBC. When was the last time you used Dirac?
OH, has DLBC finally allowed you to control dual subwoofers, something you could do in Audyssey for something like 5 years now? How much extra did you have to pay for the DLBC software upgrade?

The MultEQ editor isn't as advanced but the extra options and computational ability of the smartphone are nice improvements.
You can also make another small improvement by using the BlueStacks andriod emulator to run the editor app on your Windoz PC. It makes things tremendously easier to modify curves on a large screen than working on a tiny smartphone. Then with the edition of a Umik and REW software you can fine tune things into a very nice place. ;)

Dirac is an excellent piece of software that has it's own plus's and minus's.
The biggest problem is when you run into users that insist "my stuff is great and your's is junk".
Then there is no sense in any further discussion.

Chromatischism

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The DAC performance was their major failing.
"Let's get the worst out of the way first: the Denon AVR-X3500H DAC implementation is quite poor. Clearly no care was included to make it perform well. It is much worse than the amplifier at the limit which is embarrassing. I was about to give it the worst score due to that (headless panther) but the amplifier pulled through."
Ahh, I was referring to the X4500H and X3600H which are similar in architecture from what I've seen and what the X4700H and X3700H were built on.

Flak

Industry Insider
OH, has DLBC finally allowed you to control dual subwoofers, something you could do in Audyssey for something like 5 years now? How much extra did you have to pay for the DLBC software upgrade?
Let me say that, in my admittedly biased opinion, Dirac Bass Control cannot be compared with Audyssey as it takes the interactions among the main speakers and the subwoofers into account... also, it tries to reduce the seat to seat variation

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Let me say that, in my admittedly biased opinion, Dirac Bass Control cannot be compared with Audyssey as it takes the interactions among the main speakers and the subwoofers into account... also, it tries to reduce the seat to seat variation

Thank you for that, but are you sure Audyssey does not take that into account as well? Based on numerous experiments and REW graphs, I thought they do too, but it could have been just coincidental that mine seem to integrate extremely well, though admittedly it does vary with the crossover setting. I guess I could ask Audyssey about that.

Flak

Industry Insider
Thank you for that, but are you sure Audyssey does not take that into account as well? Based on numerous experiments and REW graphs, I thought they do too, but it could have been just coincidental that mine seem to integrate extremely well, though admittedly it does vary with the crossover setting. I guess I could ask Audyssey about that.
Yes, I think it doesn't... b.t.w. calculating the interactions among many speakers and multiple subwoofers requires a lot of computing and we reduce that as much as possible by using a genetic optimization algorithm (AI), you'll find technical details in the second section of the attached manual
Worth noting that, because of the nature of genetic algorithms, a computation under the same exact conditions can produce slightly different results :)

Attachments

• Bass+Control+in+Live(1).pdf
    2.4 MB · Views: 63
Last edited:

Chromatischism

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
It doesn't take crossovers into account.

It does match speaker pairs, however.

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
It doesn't take crossovers into account.

It does match speaker pairs, however.

Right, and I think that is a deficiency. In my case, it works really good with XO set to 80 or 90 Hz but not great if set to 60 Hz. It's probably just a natural thing as setting to 80 Hz an higher there is less opportunity for the mains interacting with the sub's range. If Dirac Live take that into account in addition to what Flak alluded to then it is a plus for sure.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
How are we to judge the two?
On their totally automated wizards that only ask you to move your mic around while it makes the measurements, calculate the filters and then just hit the "done" button, accepting the outcome?
Do we take either to the next steps, spending $20 for the Audyssey Editor app, or another $350-500 for the DLBC upgrade?
Do we roll up our sleeves, download REW, purchase a Umik, and get under the hood of either?
I don't think we can make any claims of one being better than the next, that's far too simplistic a answer.
If Dirac has some advantages in it's wizard's results, it dang well should. It really was first designed to be a PC app, and expensive one at that. One way or the other it costs a whole lot more to get the best performance Dirac can offer.
And neither one is the last word in DRC, the AVR embedded apps were both originally designed to be a idiot proof answer only asking the user a few simple set-up questions and spit out a ruff piece of room tuning.
You want something really good, dig down in your deep pockets and pay a professional tuner like @mitchco
to come in and do it for you ;)

Lawyrup843

How are we to judge the two?
On their totally automated wizards that only ask you to move your mic around while it makes the measurements, calculate the filters and then just hit the "done" button, accepting the outcome?
Do we take either to the next steps, spending $20 for the Audyssey Editor app, or another $350-500 for the DLBC upgrade?
Do we roll up our sleeves, download REW, purchase a Umik, and get under the hood of either?
I don't think we can make any claims of one being better than the next, that's far too simplistic a answer.
If Dirac has some advantages in it's wizard's results, it dang well should. It really was first designed to be a PC app, and expensive one at that. One way or the other it costs a whole lot more to get the best performance Dirac can offer.
And neither one is the last word in DRC, the AVR embedded apps were both originally designed to be a idiot proof answer only asking the user a few simple set-up questions and spit out a ruff piece of room tuning.
You want something really good, dig down in your deep pockets and pay a professional tuner like @mitchco
to come in and do it for you ;)
Does the person your recommended to come in a tune it for you only work with Dirac? (I use audy) Just curious what his resume looks like because I would love to go that route if I knew who to go to. Thx

Chromatischism

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Right, and I think that is a deficiency. In my case, it works really good with XO set to 80 or 90 Hz but not great if set to 60 Hz. It's probably just a natural thing as setting to 80 Hz an higher there is less opportunity for the mains interacting with the sub's range. If Dirac Live take that into account in addition to what Flak alluded to then it is a plus for sure.
Yeah, the downside being that you can't change your crossover without running the algorithm again. So plan to take at least a whole day to get that perfected :)

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Yeah, the downside being that you can't change your crossover without running the algorithm again. So plan to take at least a whole day to get that perfected :)

Funny you say that, I just took a look of my folders where I stored my REW graphs and counted 44 days (based on plots I saved only) of work since 2018 when I acquired the AVR-X4400H and the App. So I must have spent over 200 hours on running, re-running Audyssey, tweaking with the app, plotting with REW, tweak again, plot again.., until I get +/- 1 dB 18-125 Hz (approx.) at the mmp and may be +/- 1.25 dB average over 10 mic positions. It might have taken me less than a few days (say 20 hours) to achieve the best results, the rest of the time were for everything else playing around/experimenting numerous different things just to satisfy my curiosity. In the end, with the best curve uploaded, 80 and 90 Hz XO happened to be the best, 40 Hz was acceptable, 60 Hz not great, too bad Denon won't do 70 Hz:D.

When I played with Dirac Live trial and compared it with XT32 in stereo with either my LS50 or the R900 using external DACs, I found that Dirac could not do any better than Audyssey at all based on the REW FR and other plots. Actually that's not quite true because it did produce better looking impulse response, but on FR while it would consistently do better in a certain range, it would do worse in another, and overall I would say they are probably about equal, and I certainly couldn't hear any difference. The interface of Dirac is way better, but I think the Audyssey Editor App, if used with the Ratbuddyssey UI is more powerful for tweaking. Someone mentioned another UI, I would like to try that too but couldn't find any info on that.

So I have the impression that you have used both systems, do you have a preference that is based on either or both REW plots and listening comparison tests?

And to @Flak , last time I checked, I seem to remember Dirac now has the final two channel version (the one I did the trial) that I believe can do 2.1 but not really sure. Can you confirm that it can in fact do 2.1, and is it available for a trial period. It is just too bad the trial versions seemed very buggy and not too user friendly, at least when I used it with JRiver at the time. By the time I got used to using it, the trial was over, and that was before the issues got resolved. Whether it works better than Audyssey or not, I am still very interested in the two channel version as long as I know it can do better than or even just equal to Audyssey on paper. Regardless, I will find it difficult to decide on going with the minidsp option, or the JRiver+Windows 10 option. Either way, I would need it to be able to work with 2.1 if I am going to spend a few hundred dollars.

One thing (I know that would not be possible as no one would organize such an event) I would love to do, is to participate in a controlled listening test between Dirac Live and XT32, both tweaked with the curves approaching flat between 20 and 300 Hz or so. I would bet few people could tell a difference, let alone concluding one is "better" than the other. Without a tightly controlled tests, we all can speculate on how much the marketing info, the much higher price tag, a better looking interface, higher quality mic and some unique features with technical descriptions/explanations would bias the listeners to favor Dirac regardless.

Sorry for getting off topic, just realize this thread is about the T758v3.:)

Chromatischism

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
When I played with Dirac Live trial and compared it with XT32 in stereo with either my LS50 or the R900 using external DACs, I found that Dirac could not do any better than Audyssey at all based on the REW FR and other plots. Actually that's not quite true because it did produce better looking impulse response, but on FR while it would consistently do better in a certain range, it would do worse in another, and overall I would say they are probably about equal, and I certainly couldn't hear any difference. The interface of Dirac is way better, but I think the Audyssey Editor App, if used with the Ratbuddyssey UI is more powerful for tweaking.
I am curious about Ratbuddysey but I'm at a point where I don't do a lot of EQ other than bass so I can't be bothered. Maybe in the future if changes occur to my system. By then we may have the new Audyssey PC app though.

Chromatischism

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Funny you say that, I just took a look of my folders where I stored my REW graphs and counted 44 days (based on plots I saved only) of work since 2018 when I acquired the AVR-X4400H and the App. So I must have spent over 200 hours on running, re-running Audyssey, tweaking with the app, plotting with REW, tweak again, plot again.., until I get +/- 1 dB 18-125 Hz (approx.) at the mmp and may be +/- 1.25 dB average over 10 mic positions. It might have taken me less than a few days (say 20 hours) to achieve the best results, the rest of the time were for everything else playing around/experimenting numerous different things just to satisfy my curiosity. In the end, with the best curve uploaded, 80 and 90 Hz XO happened to be the best, 40 Hz was acceptable, 60 Hz not great, too bad Denon won't do 70 Hz:D.
I wish wish Denon would do 70 Hz. I'd use it.

So I have the impression that you have used both systems, do you have a preference that is based on either or both REW plots and listening comparison tests?
My experience with Dirac is limited to one speaker but with the same sub arrangement I have now. The speakers really benefited from it, much more than they did from Audyssey. I would imagine a much better speaker would result in very little difference between the two systems.

For the subs it was no contest, Audyssey was better. Even though I have delay adjustments on my subs and was able to get a very similar frequency response, I concluded that I would have to get a MiniDSP to get the best results. The subs just never sounded truly integrated with Dirac and they lacked the impact I liked. With Audyssey I'm able to get my system to sound more like a cohesive unit without a MiniDSP.

I'm sure Dirac's top tier would do a better job but I'm just not playing in that ballpark.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Does the person your recommended to come in a tune it for you only work with Dirac? (I use audy) Just curious what his resume looks like because I would love to go that route if I knew who to go to. Thx
He's actually designed his own DRC system but may work with others too?
He's a member here, if you click on the link I posted, you could send him a PM and talk to him directly.
Below is a link to his website and under that a link to a post by him explaining his normal process.
There are others around, a bro up in Chicago had a guy come to his house with Audyssey Pro and do the work.
I'm sure there are others around. Talk to Mitch directly and get the straight info on things. ;)

Lawyrup843

He's actually designed his own DRC system but may work with others too?
He's a member here, if you click on the link I posted, you could send him a PM and talk to him directly.
Below is a link to his website and under that a link to a post by him explaining his normal process.
There are others around, a bro up in Chicago had a guy come to his house with Audyssey Pro and do the work.
I'm sure there are others around. Talk to Mitch directly and get the straight info on things. ;)

Thank you

database

I would think that Audyssey users do know they should measure all 8 positions and plot REW graphs for more than just one position. I have used Dirac Live too (trial only) and I don't share your experience/opinion based on both subjective and objective measurements. That's fine as we all have our own ways and opinions. It cannot be taken as facts that one "sound better" than the other, except again, it may be "fact" for the one who makes the claim. To really compare the two objectively, we would need to see some proof based on a complete set of measurements (as you said, not just FR, single position or not..). I have never seen any published credible evidence to that effect so far.
That doesn't address my point. Sure you can take REW plots of multiple positions but how do you interpret which has more precise imaging or better "live" sound (whatever that means)? "Proof" based on a complete set of measurements are not going be the most helpful in answering that. Blind listening tests are more reliable for this and that's where Audyssey routinely comes up short.

Dirac has a higher learning curve than Audyssey, and its default target curve is known to be bass shy. If you only used the Dirac trial for a short time, then no offense intended but it's unlikely that you dialed everything in properly with Dirac and found your preferred target curve. You also need to make sure you have a wide variety of test content, because some content may sound no different while others can reveal huge differences.

When you were using the Dirac trial, did you get any help on forums and get any recommendations? Here's an old post where a user compared the two and found Audyssey to be better than Dirac at first, until they were informed by more experienced Dirac users that they didn't do the Dirac calibration correctly - they changed their mind after they fixed their Dirac calibration. There are several dozens more cases like that in the AVS miniDSP DDRC-88A thread. My first several Dirac calibrations were not the best I've done.

I was not satisfied with sub bass from my Dirac attempts, finding it to lack impact. No bloat on either system. This seems like it's down to preference. There are likely other things going on that are hard to see with basic measurements.

I also could not get as good of sub-speaker integration.

I believe most of the time the target curve for the sub with Audyssey doesn't need changing, since Dynamic EQ builds that in.

Which Dirac target curves did you try? The default does not have a lot of bass, and I don't find that commonly suggested Harman curves work well as in-room targets either because they are flat besides the house curve, unless they are modified to roll off mids and treble. And Dirac's IR correction cleans up the bass significantly so I find it is capable of running strong house curves as long as the system can handle it. After a lot of experimentation I am running the below custom curve which is a kind of hybrid between Harman 10 dB and Dirac's default curve, but with even more bass boost and treble rolloff - it is a 24 dB spread in total. It may look excessive but was finely tuned for most realism on my system which which was confirmed by several users in a series of blind tests with a variety of movies and music. I couldn't say how well it would work on other systems - the point is that Dirac users may need to spend some time and effort on finding the proper target curve for their system, and if they don't, they have probably not realized Dirac's full potential.

dirac-targets.png

I always kept DEQ off because it also boosted satellites which was undesirable to me. Does it still work that way?

Keep in mind that was before the Audyssey app, which made a big difference. Back then people had very little control over the results, so it's understandable that some jumped at the chance to try Dirac. The MultEQ editor isn't as advanced but the extra options and computational ability of the smartphone are nice improvements.

You're right, the initial comparisons in that thread before the Audyssey app are no longer useful. Still, from my own testing on several systems, Audyssey with the EQ editor was unable to produce the same clean level of bass, precise imaging, and live sound of Dirac.

When I used it two years ago, Audyssey only independently set levels and delays, and then EQs the subs as one, and that is consistent with everything I've ever seen about this topic from Audyssey and its users. It would be a big deal if Audyssey could do fully independent subwoofer EQ and they would certainly market it. It would be nice if the base level Dirac worked the same way but you can achieve the same with a splitter and optionally using the gain and delay knobs that most subwoofers have. And as has been mentioned, Audyssey is certainly not comparable to DLBC at all.

The biggest problem is when you run into users that insist "my stuff is great and your's is junk".
Choice-supportive bias is a well known phenomenon. People are obviously motivated to defend the stuff they own, whether it is quality or not. But this is ASR, where audio gear that people own is routinely exposed as junk. We should be conscious of this bias and still be able to have productive discussions.

One thing (I know that would not be possible as no one would organize such an event) I would love to do, is to participate in a controlled listening test between Dirac Live and XT32, both tweaked with the curves approaching flat between 20 and 300 Hz or so.
This still has the potential to be flawed. If the test restricts the Dirac calibration too much and makes it sound like Audyssey, it doesn't show what Dirac is actually capable of. That was the issue with the comparison test I linked above.

Last edited:
Top Bottom