• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of NAD T758 V3 AVR

laurosan

There's the biggest problem. You are running different target curves. Without proper controls, you can't possibly have an apples-to-apples comparison.

Note I am not denying what you heard, I am saying the comparison between the two units isn't valid.
Even after Dirac correction has been also applied to the NAD?

JStewart

Forum Donor
A lack of power in the receiver would explain that, sure but they were both unde the exact same condition.
I use Krix speakers (which are 6ohms, and yes the Denon was configured to 6ohms as well)

You weren’t doing the Denon any favors with this.

It’s great you like the NAD. I own one too and it serves me fine on a second system at the moment.

Objectively speaking, the Denon is the better of the two sans room correction. Whether I like the NAD more or less than a Denon won’t change that.

Chromatischism

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Even after Dirac correction has been also applied to the NAD?
I'm saying you have to use both units without room correction. The EQ is just software and can run from anything, including a PC. The Denon and NAD hardware can't be compared if you have different target curves from different EQ packages applied.

If you didn't get good results from Audyssey XT32, I bet the results could have been improved with some tweaking, because I remain unconvinced that there are huge differences in sound quality between them.

Dj7675

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
My first try with the NAD was without running Dirac and it literally brought the speakers to life, specially in clarity, something that the 4700 (that had been confifured with Audissey) was absolutely not doing. After running Dirac the difference gap is even bigger.
Anyway, it's not a competition, like I said it's my experience and I tested both almost side-by-side.
I use Krix speakers (which are 6ohms, and yes the Denon was configured to 6ohms as well) that I was almost putting in the bin after spending a considerable amount in the speaker upgrade. After switchihg to the NAD I have decided the speakers will stay for many years.
Tough to figure why the NAD over the Denon... possibly...
-Were they level matched so they were the same volume? When not level matched, people pick the louder one as sounding better
-Blind test? Cognitive bias is a real thing
-How loud? If not overly loud I think it would be very difficult to tell the difference in a blind test. As volume increases it can be easier with the NAD, in particular if you have sensitive speakers. In quite passages, depending on your speakers and listening distance it is possible to hear hiss/noise from the amps (at least that was my case).
-Setting Denon to 4/6ohm severely limits the output.
If you really want to know for sure there is a difference, you really have to take some care to be sure that other factors aren't causing you to pick the NAD... volume matching, blind testing, etc. There are a lot of factors that can lead to unreliable conclusions if you aren't careful.
It wouldn’t surprise me if in some conditions you couldn’t tell them apart with no EQ enabled. It would very much surprise me if under proper conditions someone would find the NAD to sound better. The Denon x3700 models and higher measure much much better.
I believe the early subjective reviews on this product have perpetuated ”how good it sounds” even without EQ. Most of these subjective reviews online are nothing more than paid press release/talking points, so one should take them for what they are worth... often times a good overview of features but nothing more IMO.

laurosan

Yeah, I tried all those things guys, I'm a very curious person and also I don't believe in exoteric things.
I reset the 4700 (as I was going to sell it), tried with the room correction applied with both the curve generated by Audissey and the one I tweaked (to specially try and get more dialogue clarity), I even had a setting tweaked with the tips from Audioholics on their video about Audissey.
In my case and opinion NAD and Dirac are doing a much better job and it's also probably a matter of personnal preferences but I won't be going back to Denon or Audissey unless there are considerable changes that would match my listening preferences. Simple like that.
I also encourage people that are having issues similar to the ones I had to be curious and listen to the brands other than Onkyos and Denons even after negative reviews. I did and am much happier now.

Chromatischism

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Well I'm glad you're happy but I went from NAD T758 V3 to a Denon X4500H and I'm a lot happier. The NAD was a nice unit, but I couldn't get what I wanted out of Dirac for dual subs and the control/remote/feature experience was inferior to Denon.

Audyssey needs some understanding of how it works in order to use it best. It's likely that you just don't need much correction above the bass region and limiting it would have been better for you. The same would be true of Dirac.

In the event you like what Dirac is doing to your treble, that means you like a different speaker sound and you would get the same benefit if you used the same target with Audyssey.

MickeyBoy

Forum Donor

I use my T-758v3 with Dirac v3 and a sub. The crossover between main speakers and sub is set to 80Hz. NAD tells me that both high-pass and low-pass have Linkwitz-Riley 4th order slopes. My question concerns whether the corrections of the Dirac filters happen first and then the crossover between sub and speakers takes place next. This would seem reasonable, but I would like to be sure. TIA.

JStewart

Forum Donor
This is how the T758 works (and should work) wrt Dirac and crossovers:

062E0A5B-1231-4F9D-93D3-374173AA7EC9.png

(Diagram credit: @markus )

MickeyBoy

Forum Donor
This is how the T758 works (and should work) wrt Dirac and crossovers:

View attachment 262479

(Diagram credit: @markus )
Many thanks, JStewart. The diagram shows that the order of processing is (1) the crossover (including the subwoofer?); (2) filters for the individual speakers based on volume calibration modified by a target curve. The NAD allows for rear and height speakers (not in the diagram.) I assume that if they are in the signal, they will have their individual Dirac filters as well.

Is this all correct?

Another question: all my multichannel sources are 5.1. I gave up on a center channel. I typically use rear channels in addition to surrounds. Even when there is no signal for the rears, I still get output. Do anyone know where this comes from? Does the NAD just duplicate the surround channel?

Thanks in advance for any replies.

Don Kuleone

I have a T758v3. NAD replaced it two times since the pre-outs generate a high frequence hiss in the speakers. I tried different amps. The distortion signal is audible at 3meters. The unit itself also emits a high frequency tone. Any experience on this? I‘m so dissappointed. I will keep sending the unit back to NAD. Rediculous that a >1000€ AVR has so crappy pre-outs.

Last edited:

MickeyBoy

Forum Donor
I've been using the preouts for the main speakers for years with no problems. Your unit is clearly defective. NAD should give you a new one.

pogo

Major Contributor
This NAD T758v3i was a distinct moment when the enginner in me was proven wrong: bad measurements can be less relevant. Harshenss?
Yes ;)
No v3i was measured in this review! This has a different hardware structure, see also the difference at the MDC module on the left side of the rear plate.

Different position of the SPDIF jacks:
v3i.png

Source: NAD homepage

Last edited:
Top Bottom