• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of NAD M27 PWR Amp

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
Great, and when can we expect this anticipated review?
I'm guessing the October issue which hits the street in August September.

Last edited:

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
Vide supra.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor

Vincentponcet

Forum Donor
Given the model number I figured it must be 8 channels. Heck, I only need 5. May need to look elsewhere for my amplification. Thanks for the info.
The source is a French website on-mag.fr
https://www.on-mag.fr/index.php/vid...-amplificateur-8-canaux-dans-la-serie-masters
The picture shows MSRP 4,250GBP/4,999$/4,999EUR
Yes 8 channels. Which makes a price similar to NAD M27
Even for a 5 channels, it is an acceptable price for a brand model. Current Purifi 2 channels amps are at about 2k$.
The article speculates the possibility of a three channels amp to have a 11 channels set up for atmos.

Last edited:

Vincentponcet

Forum Donor
The source is a French website on-mag.fr
https://www.on-mag.fr/index.php/vid...-amplificateur-8-canaux-dans-la-serie-masters
The picture shows MSRP 4,250GBP/4,999$/4,999EUR
Yes 8 channels. Which makes a price similar to NAD M27
Even for a 5 channels, it is an acceptable price for a brand model. Current Purifi 2 channels amps are at about 2k$.
The article speculates the possibility of a three channels amp to have a 11 channels set up for atmos.

A UK store prelisted it at 3,995 GBP and available in July
That would be a great news.
https://www.audiologica.co.uk/product/nad-m28/

DRNO

Hi,

My first post at this forum Ive been reading for severeal months now.
Its one of the most exiting ones Ive came a cross so.....

Is there an difference in bass authority with difficult speakers using M27 vs ATI 52X? Who have the "best" definition and weight..
Sorry for my lack of HIFI lingo :)

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Is there an difference in bass authority with difficult speakers using M27 vs ATI 52X? Who have the "best" definition and weight..
Sorry for my lack of HIFI lingo
Welcome to the ASR forums, glad to have you..
No need for fancy HiFi lingo here, we don't get involved in that type of thing.
Both these amp use hypex n-core output modules and I would bet you that in a blind, level equalized listening test you'd never be able to identify any differences whatsoever. ;)

DRNO

I have one other amp with me that also uses Ncore and they do sound a little different. Its hard to describe the differences but they are there but small. I still like the ATI but im curious about the Nad. Guess I just have to try :)

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
I have one other amp with me that also uses Ncore and they do sound a little different. Its hard to describe the differences but they are there but small. I still like the ATI but im curious about the Nad. Guess I just have to try :)
I think if you listened to them under blind, bias controlled conditions those differences would disappear.
The mind is a funny thing. ;)
Have a great day and stay safe.
Sal

MakeMineVinyl

Major Contributor
Welcome to the ASR forums, glad to have you..
No need for fancy HiFi lingo here, we don't get involved in that type of thing.
Both these amp use hypex n-core output modules and I would bet you that in a blind, level equalized listening test you'd never be able to identify any differences whatsoever. ;)
The ATI uses a traditional linear power supply; I can't find information on the NAD's power supply. Realistically, in normal operation the two should sound identical. In the low end, the linear power supply could in theory behave differently with a rough speaker load than a switching power supply, but I think you'd be talking about rather unique cases where this might have an impact. One reason ATI went with linear supplies was the availability of higher peak output current from a transformer than a SMPS (at least at the time). The ATI also has an auto-ranging AC input voltage selection circuit controlled by a microcontroller. The advantage of this is that the amp is protected in real time from things like brownouts / over-voltages; normal operation resumes when the AC line is back in spec at either 120VAC or 240VAC. The ATI also has a (user defeatable) sleep mode which takes the modules into low power mode after 10 minutes. One of the main draws of power with the NC500 modules is heat dissipation in the output inductor during no signal. Sleep mode gets around that.

Last edited:

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Does the Nad M27 drop in power with all seven channels driven?
NAD rates it at,
  • Continuous output power into 8 Ohms and 4 Ohms
  • ≥180W (ref. rated THD, 20Hz-20kHz, all channels driven
So even if it make spec, yes it will drop in power from want Amir measured here a small amount.
Then there's the issue of line voltage, most typical home power outlets voltage will begin to sag at this level of demand and the max power out along with it. I see nothing here to be concerned about. I can't imagine any multich source that would ever require full power on all channels at the same time.

Dan1210

NAD rates it at,
  • Continuous output power into 8 Ohms and 4 Ohms
  • ≥180W (ref. rated THD, 20Hz-20kHz, all channels driven
So even if it make spec, yes it will drop in power from want Amir measured here a small amount.
Then there's the issue of line voltage, most typical home power outlets voltage will begin to sag at this level of demand and the max power out along with it. I see nothing here to be concerned about. I can't imagine any multich source that would ever require full power on all channels at the same time.
Line voltage shouldn’t be an issue in uk @240v?

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Ah, that doesn't show in your profile
How many amps is your line rated/fused?

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

It depends, it will likely be the same issue because higher voltage are used to allow the use of thinner gauge of wires. So voltage drop would remain somewhat similar as one offsets (i.e. higher voltage, but thinner wires) the other. By wires, I mean the feed wires and the transformer primary windings.

For real world use, it likely won't matter anyway as you won't have contents to play that requires the amp to peak in too many channels at the same time, and there should be enough storage caps to deal with the transient peaks too.

Top Bottom