• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of NAD M27 PWR Amp

maty

Major Contributor
index.php

Hypex NC1200

Hypex-NC1200-THD-vs-power.png

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
@maty no way it is the NC1200, that would be too big for 7 channels and a single SMPS would severely limit their power.
NC500 has the same power ratings as NC1200 at higher impedances (400W at 8 ohms such as your graphs, 700W at 4 ohms), but they differ at 2 ohms (550W versus 1200W).

Last edited:

HammerSandwich

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
It would be interesting to see how the Monolith 7 would test since I think Gene actually tested the Monolith 2.
There's apparently been a revision since Audioholics reviewed the Monolith, because new models have XLR inputs! Monoprice has RCA-only refurbs, but I don't consider the discount nearly big enough.

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

digicidal

Major Contributor
Now if only NAD could purchase another company's OEM IP for processor internals as well... they could make a killer $10K combo that would actually sell well probably. I'd buy one. Might still with this amp at least... nothing wrong with having a few extra channels sitting around.

maty

Major Contributor
From the beginning I noticed the difference, excessive, hence I thought it should be the NC1200.

I would be surprised if it was the buffer, at least with the latest versions. Initially designed by Sonic Imagery, so it should not be that. We must investigate.

After taking a look, the buffer: Eval board.

index.php

Last edited:

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Initially designed by Sonic Imagery

The Nord model tested on ASR was the One Standard, which uses the stock Hypex buffer board. The Sonic Imagery designed buffer board is the One Up (rev C), and the One SE (rev D) uses the large form factor opamps. The last 2 were not tested here yet.

More here: https://www.nordacoustics.co.uk/rangeexplanatiom

RichB

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Nice review!

I'm confused, shouldn't it be easier to have a higher SINAD on a processor than an AMP, at least as a DAC with DSP disengaged?

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Yes, at US $4,400 it is not cheap but you are getting 7 channels of amplifications. That is roughly $630/channel which is actually quite competitive.

I am probably drunk but from good measurements and great looks of NAD M27 but I am happy to give it one of my highest recommendations.

If you have a home theater and want a gorgeous, powerful and performant multi-channel amplifier, your search is over. Get the M27 and worry about money for food later.
Very kool and great timing. Looks like the M27 has lightened the mood around here on the multich gear. LOL
And while a bit pricey, to really best it would take $12,000 for 4 AHB2's, on the lab bench that is.
We only have had the AVR amps to compare to, not really a fair situation. There are a number of good multich amps out there from ATI & Monoprice to Emotiva for less that deserve attention if they can be acquired.
There are many ways transparent sound can be accomplished in amps, wish we could say close to the same for the front ends. :(

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Nice piece of Kit. Two bad I can't get 2 channels for 2/7th of $4400 from a company with a US distributor. That would be $1257!!

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
Before everyone gets too excited about this amplifier, bear in mind Amir can only test 2 of the 7 amplifiers. These numbers are absolute best case.

We know continuous power will drop right off, dynamic (burst power) will collapse and overall THD will skyrocket with more channels driven. That said, the unit sure looks to be a lovely looking product and in real terms reasonable value IMO.

orangejello

Very kool and great timing. Looks like the M27 has lightened the mood around here on the multich gear. LOL
And while a bit pricey, to really best it would take $12,000 for 4 AHB2's, on the lab bench that is.

From my experience with the M22 vs AHB2, I wouldn’t be surprise if, to get the equivalent sense of power and relaxed ease, you would need to bridge the AHB2s to mono. Then your looking at $21,000. Not to mention that Bruno’s class d brainchild sounds great to me. And the NAD stuff is lovely from an understated aesthetic point of view, while the Benchmark look is disappointing at best...

audioBliss

Or you could buy the nc400 monoblocks..lot's of them for 600 euro + taxes each. They measure almost like the AHB2. Keep in mind the version tested here was gimped.

speedy

Forum Donor
There are a number of good multich amps out there from ATI & Monoprice to Emotiva for less that deserve attention if they can be acquired.
Sal, an Emotiva XPA Gen 3 could be arranged :)

Before everyone gets too excited about this amplifier, bear in mind Amir can only test 2 of the 7 amplifiers. These numbers are absolute best case.

We know continuous power will drop right off, dynamic (burst power) will collapse and overall THD will skyrocket with more channels driven. That said, the unit sure looks to be a lovely looking product and in real terms reasonable value IMO.
I wonder how using the M27 to bi-amp all three front Left, Center, and Right speakers with the 7th amp unused would affect everything you mentioned...

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
One thing the NAD has which Hypex modules in a box from small outfits don't have is enough gain to work with the typical unbalanced DAC.

Top Bottom