• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of Mytek Brooklyn DAC

Angelzilla

Possibly if Amir could get his hands on the + version, he could measure the newer version.

I really enjoy listing to my Mytek Stereo 192 DSD dac connected via FireWire to my 2014 Mac Mini using Amarra and/or Tidal.
I bought it from a guy who replaced the Mytek Stereo 192 with a Mytek Brooklyn +.
So I’m really curious how the + version would measure agains the standard version.

Ratatoskr

What is this?

I've never seen a measurement that indicates Sabre chips are bright in some way.

Sorry for the delay. While the Brooklyn DAC+ was listenable on USB in there was a definite problem with sound quality using the optical input. At my work desk I have an Ergotron multimonitor stand which includes a 28" TV which I fed to the DAC+ using Toslink. The sound was thin, with a glare to the midrange that made me turn off the TV within ten minutes.

I actually wound up purchasing a Bifrost just to listen to the TV. All inputs on the Bifrost had equal sound quality. Any competent DAC should. I sent my DAC+ back to Mytek for a bench test and they said it was fine (blew me off in other words.) I also tested a Mytek Liberty and found that DAC had the same problem and sent it back for a refund. I have since sold the Brooklyn.

graz_lag

Major Contributor
It is a pity, really, considering the asking price ...
Mr. Michal Jurewicz, founder and number one big boss at Mytek, loves to say in the interviews :
"I started designing converters in 1990, while at Skyline, where there was this fantastic opportunity to test them on the spot, still hot from soldering ...
... I have since designed about 30
(as of 2014) different A/D and D/A converter models for professional use ..."
:facepalm:

1546793238459.png

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Sorry for the delay. While the Brooklyn DAC+ was listenable on USB in there was a definite problem with sound quality using the optical input. At my work desk I have an Ergotron multimonitor stand which includes a 28" TV which I fed to the DAC+ using Toslink. The sound was thin, with a glare to the midrange that made me turn off the TV within ten minutes.

Pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeease.

gtb75

I currently own a Brooklyn+ and owned a Brooklyn before it. My optical source for both of them was/is a Chromecast Audio, and have I never noticed the midrange sounding "thin" or there being a "glare". Does Tidal via my USB PC sound better than Tidal on the Chromecast, sure - but that isn't the same signal. The Chromecast is limited to 24/96 while the PC via USB can go much higher, plus we're talking two completely different operating systems, so it isn't an "apples to apples" comparison. I don't have a way to generate exactly the same signal via multiple sources so I can't say the inputs sound exactly the same, but it doesn't standout as an issue for me.

The feature set of the Brooklyn family has been a big draw for me.... It allows me to connect my digital sources (PC, Chromecast, CD transport, and Squeezebox) as well as my turntable and connect them directly to my amps, without the need for a preamp. It also has a reasonably competent headphone amp and an analog option for volume control, plus MQA for those who want it. Is it the best choice for a pure DAC in terms of sound quality, probably not - but it has a lot of functionality at the price point, and the sound quality isn't horrible IMO.

I will say that Mytek's timely responsiveness to communication is lousy, and it gives me significant pause about buying another one of their products in the future. I, as an existing customer, have personally experienced very slow response from them but they ultimately took care of me. Their long awaited Clef portable DAC/amp has been continually delayed and their handling of the situation has been horrible. If you're reading this Mytek, you really need to work on your communication and customer service.

gtb75

Yeah, but it lacks the networking capability, exactly like my NAD M51, and that is a key feature within an evolutive setup ...

The new Brooklyn Bridge adds built in streaming (but loses AES/EBU): https://mytekdigital.com/hifi/products/brooklyn-bridge/

I like the functionality of the Brooklyn Bridge, but the new Simaudio Moon 390 is on my radar as a "next step" DAC with integrated streaming and all of the other features included in the Brooklyn+. Granted the 390 is $5200 versus $3000 for the Bridge, but it has been getting a lot of positive feedback.

Last edited:

graz_lag

Major Contributor
... but the new Simaudio Moon 390 is on my radar as a "next step" DAC with integrated streaming and all of the other features included in the Brooklyn+. Granted the 390 is $5200 versus $3000 for the Bridge, but it has been getting a lot of positive feedback.

You cannot miss to check out the Cambridge Audio EDGE NQ if you are on that sort of budget ...
I do not know the price they apply in the US, here in the old Europe one can get it for 3,500 EUR or so ...
Amazing machine, indeed.

gtb75

You cannot miss to check out the Cambridge Audio EDGE NQ if you are on that sort of budget ...
I do not know the price they apply in the US, here in the old Europe one can get it for 3,500 EUR or so ...
Amazing machine, indeed.

Interesting piece that I wasn't aware of - $4000 USD. I will definitely try to give it a listen, but no built in phono stage, AES/EBU, or HDMI inputs.

gags11

Forum Donor
Well, I am always here if someone wants to loan the + version to me. :)

Willing to loan my Mytek DAC+ if still interested in testing it.

Last edited:
OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Willing to loan my Mytek DAC+ if still interested in testing it.
I am interested but have a lead on the Bridge version locally. So let me exhaust that before shipping this one back and forth. Thanks for now.

gags11

Forum Donor
I am interested but have a lead on the Bridge version locally. So let me exhaust that before shipping this one back and forth. Thanks for now.

Nice! Would like to see the review.
Thanks

Music1969

Major Contributor

Hi Amir

Please don't forget to do measurements with MQA filter disabled on the on-screen menu/settings.

This was the cause of some of the bad measurements in your original Brooklyn review (according to Mytek themselves).

If MQA is not disabled, MQA's up-sampling is still applied to non-MQA material, which is annoying. But at least it CAN be disabled.

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...urements-of-chord-qutest-dac.5981/post-147823

Can you also please measure with the Bridge's USB input. At least this can cover both the DAC+ and Bridge at the same time (I assume both are the same on USB input).

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Can you also please measure with the Bridge's USB input. At least this can cover both the DAC+ and Bridge at the same time (I assume both are the same on USB input).
Yes please do a quick test both ways and find out what the truth is.
Do they just naturally measure bad or is it that mean ole MQA which the Brooklyn has enabled on non-MQA material.
Some would call that a broken design, no?

Ain't MQA grand! :eek:

Top Bottom