• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of Musiland MU2 Plus DAC & Amp

tomli747

THD.jpg

THD of MU2, 0.0004% at 44.1kHz
However, I don't think the ADC of Soomal is good enough to measure DAC.

chaosz88

Aside from the max output of 1.7V for the plus vs 1.4V for non-plus, everything looks the same as far as the chips used on both products. I don't read Chinese but from this table it shows the Plus just have a higher output.

View attachment 23511
Rough translation for the table content:
mu2 comparison translation.PNG

Original Chinese Content (For translation like Google)

性能对比
MU2PLUS官方升级版
耳放:600欧姆
耳机输出功率:2*90mv/32欧姆
增益调节:4级 0.5v/1v/1.4v/1.7V RMS
数字滤波器:3种 低延时、相位修正、非超采样
线路:智能阻抗适配,支持1.7V RMS线路输出
颜色:香槟色

MU2普通版
耳放:300欧姆
耳机输出功率:2*80mv/32欧姆
增益调节:3级 0.5v/1v/1.4v RMS
数字滤波器:无
线路:智能阻抗适配,支持1.4V RMS线路输出
颜色:银灰色

Veri

Master Contributor
I ordered the MU2Plus for $130 before it got a link, I think they are charging $10 more because they are the only seller offering it right now. Once a few more pop up the price will stabilize but yes, it is in the $110+ range in China and the resellers take their cut...

prices stabilised a bit: https://www.aliexpress.com/wholesale?SearchText=musiland+mu2+plus&opensearch=true

sale price $124.24 in 5 days

View attachment 23024
0.5V 1k thd measurement No 900hz weirdness from here. Using hf player on android playing my test tone file.

View attachment 23526
THD of MU2, 0.0004% at 44.1kHz
However, I don't think the ADC of Soomal is good enough to measure DAC.

Both look great to me

Last edited:

Veri

Master Contributor
Just received mine. Lord this thing goes LOUD lol, seemingly quite a bit louder than smsl idea.

I don't like that it seems so flimsy. The cable really just dangles. I can see this break. Other than that I like it!

DosThou

Shame MU2 has been discontinued. I'm expecting MU2 Plus any day now as I've been very impressed with MU2 (non-plus) but at the price the plus version is selling, it's a bit of a tough sell for impulse buyers. Really nice for those who need a tiny USB-C dongle without the hassle of the need to charge battery for (another) extra device. Don't have to deal with android-based DAPs which can be quirky/slow/limited (and expensive) either.

And yeah, the cable is kind of flimsy for the price, gotta remember to get those spiral cable protector.

TimW

Major Contributor
I wanted to get an MU2 Plus for use with an rpi running Ropieee. Unfortunately I didn't pay attention when ordering and I got the regular MU2 instead. It sounds just fine with good functionality and compatibility with my phone and the rpi. Right now I'm trying to use it with my computer at work (Windows 7 Professional) and I can't get it to work. I expect that a driver is necessary but I haven't found one so far. If anyone can point me in the right direction that would be appreciated.

I'm not using it with the rpi yet since plans have changed so right now it's going mostly unused. @amirm would you be interesed in measuring this?

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
@amirm would you be interesed in measuring this?
Yes, would be good to characterize it since the plus version is so hard to find. You have my address if you want to mail it to me.

tomli747

I wanted to get an MU2 Plus for use with an rpi running Ropieee. Unfortunately I didn't pay attention when ordering and I got the regular MU2 instead. It sounds just fine with good functionality and compatibility with my phone and the rpi. Right now I'm trying to use it with my computer at work (Windows 7 Professional) and I can't get it to work. I expect that a driver is necessary but I haven't found one so far. If anyone can point me in the right direction that would be appreciated.

I'm not using it with the rpi yet since plans have changed so right now it's going mostly unused. @amirm would you be interesed in measuring this?
Have you tried both USB2.0 and 3.0 ports?

DosThou

I mainly use mine with android devices that have USB-C ports, but it works right out of the box without additional drivers on my main PC that has the latest version of W10 installed, even recognized Musiland name... Don't have a W7 machine to test and I don't think Musiland offer drivers for MU series, sorry

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
Just received mine. Lord this thing goes LOUD lol, seemingly quite a bit louder than smsl idea.

I don't like that it seems so flimsy. The cable really just dangles. I can see this break. Other than that I like it!
Sure be gentle with the cable, better to get some heat shrink tubes. Mine got unstable connection just after I post my measurements and I had about 3 months at the time.

DosThou

So I've been using this device for a while now (with an android phone) and I just can't fathom how good this thing can sound sometimes. Like I can probably retire my ADI-2 DAC and THX 789 and won't miss them if I didn't need their versatility and power. I can't wrap my head around that finding lol.

sajunky

There is a new version MU2s, possibly replacing both MU2 and Plus versions. On the company Web site these are not listed, but it is said that MU2s is a replacement for MU1:
http://www.musiland.cn/
http://www.musiland.cn/index.php?m=Product&a=show&id=31

You may need to use VPN to break through the China Great Firewall, Cloudflare Global Private Spy Network or both. Opera built-in VPN is fine.

It seems to have MU2 level of electronics in the MU1 physical package (MU2 sans control buttons). Summary:
- lower audio quality, 80-90% than MU2 (missing low jitter dual clock?)
- power consumption reduced in half (matching MU1 level)
- output voltage is improved with 1.7V RMS (matching MU2 Plus level)
- capable of driving 300 Ohms load (600 Ohm is not claimed anymore)

I am very pleased with lower power consumption. It also seems to give the same level 1.7V RMS output as MU2 Plus, but it is no clear how to switch levels. All specs in Chineese. I tried to OCR and translate from the picture (attached) please excuse for errors, it is also my first post.

MU2s specifications and parameters:
- high integration processor chip SuperDSP230
- DAC chip CS43130M
- PCM/DSD decoding supports automatic switching between PCM and DSD
- Output power 2x80mW with 32 Ohm load, capable driving 300 Ohm headphones
- line Output Smart Impedance Adaptation, Supports 1.7V RMS Line Output
- sampling rate 44.1-384kHz 16/24/32bit
- signal to noise ratio 130dB
- total harmonic distortion 0.0001%
- power consumption is less than 60mA
- 3.5mm socket
- USB Type-C interface, support Win1O (1703 or up)
- MAC Linux and other systems
- size: 15cm long
- weight 4g

MU2s is available on Aliexpress for $55 without the converter plug from 3 dealers. For that price it is a great value.
HTB1QLFQdCSD3KVjSZFKq6z10VXah.jpg

Last edited:

DosThou

That's gonna be a heck of a bargain if it sounds and measures as good as MU2Plus. I need my hardware volume button though so I don't think I'll be getting it this time.

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
There is a new version MU2s, possibly replacing both MU2 and Plus versions. On the company Web site these are not listed, but it is said that MU2s is a replacement for MU1:
http://www.musiland.cn/
http://www.musiland.cn/index.php?m=Product&a=show&id=31

You may need to use VPN to break through the China Great Firewall, Cloudflare Global Private Spy Network or both. Opera built-in VPN is fine.

It seems to have MU2 level of electronics in the MU1 physical package (MU2 sans control buttons). Summary:
- lower audio quality, 80-90% than MU2 (missing low jitter dual clock?)
- power consumption reduced in half (matching MU1 level)
- output voltage is improved with 1.7V RMS (matching MU2 Plus level)
- capable of driving 300 Ohms load (600 Ohm is not claimed anymore)

I am very pleased with lower power consumption. It also seems to give the same level 1.7V RMS output as MU2 Plus, but it is no clear how to switch levels. All specs in Chineese. I tried to OCR and translate from the picture (attached) please excuse for errors, it is also my first post.

MU2s specifications and parameters:
- high integration processor chip SuperDSP230
- DAC chip CS43130M
- PCM/DSD decoding supports automatic switching between PCM and DSD
- Output power 2x80mW with 32 Ohm load, capable driving 300 Ohm headphones
- line Output Smart Impedance Adaptation, Supports 1.7V RMS Line Output
- sampling rate 44.1-384kHz 16/24/32bit
- signal to noise ratio 130dB
- total harmonic distortion 0.0001%
- power consumption is less than 60mA
- 3.5mm socket
- USB Type-C interface, support Win1O (1703 or up)
- MAC Linux and other systems
- size: 15cm long
- weight 4g

MU2s is available on Aliexpress for $55 without the converter plug from 3 dealers. For that price it is a great value.
View attachment 29418
I went to musiland's website. Oh man. Maybe I'm spoiled in the objective environment here. I seriously want to say fuck musiland for what's on the page and the inconsistency of the performance and the spec.

Veri

Master Contributor
I went to musiland's website. Oh man. Maybe I'm spoiled in the objective environment here. I seriously want to say fuck musiland for what's on the page and the inconsistency of the performance and the spec.
They're probably not used to customers really caring about that stuff.

DosThou

Why though? Looks like they're being conservative with specs with measurements from Amir showing better results. Way better than misrepresenting your products as more than they're capable of.

As another note, I just got iBasso DC01, a dongle with 2.5mm 'balanced' out. I thought these USB C dongles were all created equally before getting this. Turned out it's harder to distinguish between Musiland's dongles than any of the three I own vs the DC01. Pretty disappointed with it honestly, be interesting to see its measurements but I honestly couldn't care less either way. I suppose this just goes to show how mindbogglingly good these Musiland dongles are for their size and price.

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
Why though? Looks like they're being conservative with specs with measurements from Amir showing better results. Way better than misrepresenting your products as more than they're capable of.

As another note, I just iBasso DC01, a dongle with 2.5mm 'balanced' out. I thought these USB C dongles were all created equally before getting this. Turned out it's harder to distinguish between Musiland's dongles than any of the three I own vs the DC01. Pretty disappointed with it honestly, be interesting to see its measurements but I honestly couldn't care less either way. I suppose this just goes to show how mindbogglingly good these Musiland dongles are for their size and price.
There was no thd of 0.0001% and snr/dnr of 130db. Seriously..... And the same spec as mu2(except voltage) and mu2plus but telling a significant sound quality drop?
But not saying mu2s is bad. I have mu2p which sounds pretty good and measures pretty good too. Mu2s seems also get the cable upgraded(my mu2p was broken due to the poor cable). But the wording and inconsistency of spec is disappointing

Top Bottom