• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of Monoprice THX Desktop DAC & Amp

Monstieur

The volume knob is a non-issue. It's fast enough for any realistic adjustment. It's "too slow" only if you change sources and blast your ears with a +10 dB difference and need to turn it down.

yakman

Forum Donor
Anyone tried powering this unit with a linear power supply (compared to its stock "phone charger")?

Answering my own question after six months.
Bought two LPS over the past half year. And yes, it does make a noticeable difference. I'm now finally settled on a LPS about the same size as the DAC itself. The previous one was about half the size.

Both LPS will make the bass tighter, imaging better. For tracks with fast and punchy bass, both make a noticeable difference.
Actually the bigger one tighten the bass so much, i was wondering whether it did too much. So I couldn't decide which to keep, the more expensive one is a bit bulky to the point, I really wanted to keep the smaller one. The smaller LPS has slight more boomy bass but subjectively that could sound better. I'm using HD800 with the DAC.

A few days back, a friend of mine who knows a thing or two about mastering came to visit. I asked him to compared the two LPS. He prefer the bulky LPS so much. It helped convince myself to re-config my desktop space to accommodate the LPS as a fixed setup.

The smaller LPS costs about 80USD, the bigger one 150USD
Please do not ask me which brand/model I bought and from where. You may really want to buy/try and decide yourself.

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Bought two LPS over the past half year. And yes, it does make a noticeable difference. I'm now finally settled on a LPS about the same size as the DAC itself. The previous one was about half the size.

Both LPS will make the bass tighter, imaging better. For tracks with fast and punchy bass, both make a noticeable difference.
Actually the bigger one tighten the bass so much, i was wondering whether it did too much. So I couldn't decide which to keep, the more expensive one is a bit bulky to the point, I really wanted to keep the smaller one. The smaller LPS has slight more boomy bass but subjectively that could sound better. I'm using HD800 with the DAC.
Uh huh.

silver2545

A few days back, a friend of mine who knows a thing or two about mastering came to visit. I asked him to compared the two LPS. He prefer the bulky LPS so much. It helped convince myself to re-config my desktop space to accommodate the LPS as a fixed setup.

The smaller LPS costs about 80USD, the bigger one 150USD
Please do not ask me which brand/model I bought and from where. You may really want to buy/try and decide yourself.
Did it do anything for the noise floor at all? For IEMs if found this dac/amp isn't the best for that. Sure while playing music it's not that bad but I can still hear it. My FiiO BTR3 does a way better job for IEMs for noise floor.

yakman

Forum Donor
Did it do anything for the noise floor at all? For IEMs if found this dac/amp isn't the best for that. Sure while playing music it's not that bad but I can still hear it. My FiiO BTR3 does a way better job for IEMs for noise floor.
Compared to the stock adaptor, LPS did "smooth" the noise floor but it is still there if you on highly sensitive IEM.
Why matching a desktop DAC/amp with IEM...

odyo

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Any news on similiar dac amp combo on horizon ?

Monstieur

My THX 788 + LCD-XC has a ground loop even though it's connected only via optical - the USB and analog cables are not attached. The only common point with other equipment is the power strip where the AC adapter is connected. If I touch the LCD-XC's metal headband and anything plugged into the same power strip, such as my PC or Nintendo Switch, only the respective ear cup buzzes, presumably because I'm using the "balanced" output.

Monstieur

Has anyone else noticed that the EQ functionality is disabled when the unit is playing DSD content?
There are no algorithms to process a DSD signal. Existing DSP techniques all operate on PCM.

DSD is a marketing gimmick anyway so it doesn’t matter.

freezy94027

The issue for me is that I cannot reap the benefits of the EQ capabilities from this device when I stream my DSD content. I'm fine with a device converting to PCM in order to apply equalization (as does the RME ADI-2 DAC FS). Neither the documentation nor any reviews I've read, mention this limitation of the functionality. Indeed, DIRAC also is not functional on this device when streaming DSD.

Monstieur

The issue for me is that I cannot reap the benefits of the EQ capabilities from this device when I stream my DSD content. I'm fine with a device converting to PCM in order to apply equalization (as does the RME ADI-2 DAC FS). Neither the documentation nor any reviews I've read, mention this limitation of the functionality. Indeed, DIRAC also is not functional on this device when streaming DSD.
Convert to PCM at 44.1 kHz or above at the source. The analog signal is reproduced losslessly up to the Nyquist frequency, even with DSD to PCM conversion.

freezy94027

:oops: I just spent that last few weeks ripping my 200+ SACD discs to ISO, and then to DSF. I'll just use Roon or MoOde to EQ and convert on the fly.

damytzeus

@yakman, i don't understand this comment??? everything you say loses credibility. how come you wouldn't share the lps', assuming that you actually bought lps'? the point of communities like this is to share information. you sought info about lps for this unit and, if another member found lps that worked, what would you want? did you actually buy lps?

Lttlwing16

Forum Donor
Does the benefit of having PEQ available offset the drawback of the analog-digital conversion that occurs for analog sources?

I've read above it seems they are using a competent ADC, and it would open up the ability to use a myriad of different headphones because they could be universally corrected for from all sources I'd be using (turntable SE'd, USB from PC, and Mbox coaxial output).

Thanks in advance.

David

Monstieur

Does the benefit of having PEQ available offset the drawback of the analog-digital conversion that occurs for analog sources?

I've read above it seems they are using a competent ADC, and it would open up the ability to use a myriad of different headphones because they could be universally corrected for from all sources I'd be using (turntable SE'd, USB from PC, and Mbox coaxial output).

Thanks in advance.

David
Lossless sources like PC and Mbox can be connected digitally. The analog input can be used for lossy sources like a turntable, as the ADC is well above the fidelity of the source anyway.

Fenix84

Can someone tell me how the headphone/line out work? If i plug my headphones in does the line out stop playing and vice versa? or are there output options in the menu?

Thanks

Monstieur

Can someone tell me how the headphone/line out work? If i plug my headphones in does the line out stop playing and vice versa? or are there output options in the menu?

Thanks
You must select the output in the menu.

Lttlwing16

Forum Donor

Thanks
I considered the 788 before ordering a 789. From my research, you can either choose headphone OR line out output.*Not both simultaneously

Fenix84

You must select the output in the menu.

Do you know if its awkward to do so? I've read that the menu isnt the easiest to navigate. Also can you confirm its a line out and not a pre out?

I considered the 788 before ordering a 789. From my research, you can either choose headphone OR line out output.*Not both simultaneously

I'm ok with not playing through both outs at the same time.

I'm curious as to why there is only 8 pages for this thread, from reviews it sounds like its a solid unit. Comparing this thread to the DX7 (71 pages), or DX3 (250 pages) it doesn't sound like there's much interest in this unit. Can someone enlighten me?

Top Bottom