• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of Monoprice THX Desktop DAC & Amp

silver2545

@amirm Oh so the XLR inputs on the Monolith go to the ADC and messing up the audio? Thats a little disappointing I suspected that might happen but wasnt sure. So getting the M500 would not really pair with it well?

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
I don't know the exact cause but yes, there is a price to pay in digitizing the input. I didn't realize you were talking about this unit. I would just use this unit as is and not try to add things to it.

Veri

Master Contributor
@amirm Oh so the XLR inputs on the Monolith go to the ADC and messing up the audio? Thats a little disappointing I suspected that might happen but wasnt sure. So getting the M500 would not really pair with it well?
It is best used as a combination unit. Adding an analog source will harm overall fidelity rather than increase it, due to the additional analog>ADC>DAC step. You are still using the internal AK4493 DAC after all, with an additional digitizing step...

Noob

To the question about using this as a DAC feeding to another headphone amp, there is no headphone amp that will improve performance except when getting into things of significantly higher power like the Benchmark HPA4. The THX amp in this device is very similar in performance to the other THX amps tested here, making it one of the very best at any price point. The dac is the factor most limiting to performance on this device. But you can't use a separate dac with this to increase performance either for previously stated reasons.

Using this as a combo unit with no extra components is the best way to use this. Anything other configuration would either be a downgrade or a waste of money in my opinion.

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
To the question about using this as a DAC feeding to another headphone amp, there is no headphone amp that will improve performance except when getting into things of significantly higher power like the Benchmark HPA4. The THX amp in this device is very similar in performance to the other THX amps tested here, making it one of the very best at any price point. The dac is the factor most limiting to performance on this device. But you can't use a separate dac with this to increase performance either for previously stated reasons.

Using this as a combo unit with no extra components is the best way to use this. Anything other configuration would either be a downgrade or a waste of money in my opinion.
THX aren't all the same.
789 888 887 are in the same level and 888 and 887 being slightly better.
788 is a whole level down from those. Using ad8397 instead of opa564. And distortion is also higher.
This is a good all in one device. But it converts input to digital then convert back to analog so basically any benefits of external dac is gone.
It's not the best at any given price. But decent for all in one at the given price.

lok777

Hello- havent posted before but I just got a new THX 788 from monoprice, and when i plug in my edition XX over balanced i get the error code "temperature protect" and the unit turns off. I then have to unplug, replug and re-turn on the unit. SE works fine, and balanced from my M1070s works fine. Any ideas?

Tks

Major Contributor
Hello- havent posted before but I just got a new THX 788 from monoprice, and when i plug in my edition XX over balanced i get the error code "temperature protect" and the unit turns off. I then have to unplug, replug and re-turn on the unit. SE works fine, and balanced from my M1070s works fine. Any ideas?

Sounds pretty odd. What DAC are you using and how is it connected? Are there any other connections to the device? On my THX 789, I sometimes get a popping noise when I connect both balanced and unbalanced headphones.

Also have you tried the basics like, having the volume at the lowest? Try having the XX's plugged in before turning on the amp (while leaving the DAC off) to see if there are any particular triggers. Also what gain are you using?

EDIT: DARNIT I thought I was on the thread talking about the 887 from Monoprice. >_< I'm stumpped in that case lol.

lok777

Ya it is the amp/dac combo. I think I am gonna return it for the 887, or the 789. It seems like all these headphone amp/dacs are just janky shit.

Jimster480

Major Contributor
Try to get the Massdrop THX 789; I've had one for over a year now and have no issues. Probably 1000hr listening time now too!

lok777

Try to get the Massdrop THX 789; I've had one for over a year now and have no issues. Probably 1000hr listening time now too!
I was going to return it and get the 789, but apparently I can only exchange it so I guess I am getting another one sent to me :( will see if it does the same thing, kind of disappointed already and would rather just have something else tho.

Jimster480

Major Contributor
I was going to return it and get the 789, but apparently I can only exchange it so I guess I am getting another one sent to me :( will see if it does the same thing, kind of disappointed already and would rather just have something else tho.
How do they not let you return it? Are you outside of the return window or what?

lok777

I do not have the original card used to purchase them, and rajeesh, then his boss muhomed, then Ishmail..... tells me the only options i have are refund to original card or exchange no matter what(since it is over 500 I guess they cant send it to my amazon gift account). I have a feeling these guys are not to concerned about helping me out with my amp that costs more than their freaking homes in somalia or bangladesh or whatever.

Last edited:

lok777

How do they not let you return it? Are you outside of the return window or what?
It is kind of funny because they are now sending me a replacement without recieving the first one saying "if the item is not sent back original card will be charged adidition $530" I may just keep them both and let them charge the card I no longer have, just for being assholes about it.

Last edited:

Noob

It is kind of funny because they are now sending me a replacement without recieving the first one saying "if the item is not sent back original card will be charged adidition $530" I may just keep them both and let them charge the card I no longer have, just for being assholes about it.

Were you not allowed to exchange for the THX aaa 887?

lok777

Were you not allowed to exchange for the THX aaa 887?
Bought it through Amazon which is why I thought they would be able to just put it onto my gift balance like everything else they have ever refunded me, but they said original card only or exchange it for exact item. Everything I have ordered directly from Monoprice has been easy, even sent something in for warranty to them before no problem.

silver2545

Am I doing something wrong? I got this and ever since I had it I can always hear a pink noise, consistent with my FiiO FH5s I thought maybe a groudloop or some sort, so I tried the ifi silencer no luck, then added a ifi idefender and changed the USB cable, and even tried a different computer. Is this normal for the Monolith? (Btw this is my second had to return my first one since the power adapter broke after one use.) Did I just get two bad units? They both sounded the same.

Veri

Master Contributor
Am I doing something wrong? I got this and ever since I had it I can always hear a pink noise, consistent with my FiiO FH5s I thought maybe a groudloop or some sort, so I tried the ifi silencer no luck, then added a ifi idefender and changed the USB cable, and even tried a different computer. Is this normal for the Monolith? (Btw this is my second had to return my first one since the power adapter broke after one use.) Did I just get two bad units? They both sounded the same.
Can you try optical input to the DAC? That would show if it's a ground loop coming from USB, or if it's the unit itself..

Also what are you using for listening, what headhones/earphones?

dachiznitt

I had similar problems and ended up using an optical cable. Problem solved.

silver2545

Can you try optical input to the DAC? That would show if it's a ground loop coming from USB, or if it's the unit itself..

Also what are you using for listening, what headhones/earphones?
Using FiiO FH5, I'll try optical once I get a DAC that outputs to optical. Thanks!

Top Bottom