• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of Monoprice Liquid Spark Headphone Amp

Gamemaker

Sorry to hear about that. Did you try contacting the company (Massdrop I think)? Maybe they can replace it for you.
I contacted Monoprice.com to see if there would be a replacement warranty. I bought it directly from their website.

Cahudson42

Major Contributor
Then smoke started coming out from the rear of the
At this point, I'd probably open it up, take some photos and post them here.

Almost certainly, one of ASR hardware gurus will advise what likely happened, and if it's worth repairing.

Gamemaker

At this point, I'd probably open it up, take some photos and post them here.

Almost certainly, one of ASR hardware gurus will advise what likely happened, and if it's worth repairing.
Yes, I could do that, but first I will wait for a response from Monoprice.com to see if they would just replace it. I believe I bought it about a year ago from their website.

Cahudson42

Major Contributor
On a positive note, if you have one of these and are wondering how it drives 18ohm Deva/HE5XX HFM planars, it does great IMO.

I have mine in low gain, driven by an LG V20 'tricked' into 'high impedance' 2V into LS. LS controlling volume. No apparent clipping or distortion up to ear shattering levels. Volume knob still has a ways to go at the 'shattering' point (more than with HE400i) - plenty of headroom even in low gain. Well matched for these HFM IMO.

Do watch your listening volume. Without distortion to make you reach for the volume knob, it is very easy to be listening at potentially damaging levels and be unaware of it.

Mrcrunch08

On a positive note, if you have one of these and are wondering how it drives 18ohm Deva/HE5XX HFM planars, it does great IMO.

I have mine in low gain, driven by an LG V20 'tricked' into 'high impedance' 2V into LS. LS controlling volume. No apparent clipping or distortion up to ear shattering levels. Volume knob still has a ways to go at the 'shattering' point (more than with HE400i) - plenty of headroom even in low gain. Well matched for these HFM IMO.

Do watch your listening volume. Without distortion to make you reach for the volume knob, it is very easy to be listening at potentially damaging levels and be unaware of it.
I'm glad you shared that because it reminded me to comment about the change in apparent volume on my unit. I have had mine for about 2 years now and it has always had plenty of power but things like the HE560 used to require high gain and the dial to at least be at noon. Starting a few months ago nothing I own can use high gain anymore. I tried troubleshooting to see if driver or os updates changed the system output levels but regardless of what I hook the LS up to it is louder than it used to be. There doesn't seem to be any degradation in sound quality or an increased noise floor so I am stumped. It's just odd.

LegionOfHell

what's the maximum power output at the following impedances:?

16 ohms
32 ohms
50 ohms
300 ohms
600 ohms

Many Thanks

LegionOfHell

Is Monoprice Liquid Spark a discrete amp ? are there any opamps ?

lashto

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

No it's not. But you are looking at the wrong graph, the H2 is also one definition for warm/musical
Monoprice Liquid Spark Headphone Amplifier Measurements.png

lashto

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Not at that amplitude it isn't.
It does follow "the letter" of the definition so IMO it's ok to call it warm/musical. Audible or not is a different discussion and you might be right.

Speaking more generally, many seem to be very convinced that not-audible = it does not matter. I am not 100% convinced. It's not like I have any hard proof, just a 'wondering' if you wish. To use an analogy with the smell/taste senses: there are many odorless/tasteless ingredients that can still give you a stomach ache or worse...
I usually prefer to stay on the "safe side" and only buy devices with a so called musical HD spectrum. Regardless of level/amplitude

Top Bottom