• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of miniDSP SHD DAC, DSP And Streamer

Hayabusa

Addicted to Fun and Learning
An noted already it does not. Since I first purchased my SHD I have requested it as a feature. Have not loudness function or tone controls is about the only weakness in my opinion.

I just got my SHD and stumbled into another 'weakness'. I have setup a two way system and wanted to protect at least the high/mid freq driver by setting up the comp/limiter block that is available for each output.
As far as I can see now (or I do something wrong) the limiter is inserted BEFORE the SHD volume control, so its useless when using the SHD as pre-amp.

Has anyone tried something like this?

D

Deleted member 2944

I just got my SHD and stumbled into another 'weakness'. I have setup a two way system and wanted to protect at least the high/mid freq driver by setting up the comp/limiter block that is available for each output.
As far as I can see now (or I do something wrong) the limiter is inserted BEFORE the SHD volume control, so its useless when using the SHD as pre-amp.

Has anyone tried something like this?
How did you confirm that???

Dave.

Hayabusa

How did you confirm that???

Dave.

I did setup a COMP block with a limiter kicking in at -30dB, then applied an XLR input signal above -20dB and set the volume at -40dB.
You can then clearly hear the volume reduce when enabling the COMP block. If the COMP block would be after the volume control it shouldn't have reduced the level.

Hayabusa

I did setup a COMP block with a limiter kicking in at -30dB, then applied an XLR input signal above -20dB and set the volume at -40dB.
You can then clearly hear the volume reduce when enabling the COMP block. If the COMP block would be after the volume control it shouldn't have reduced the level.

In the mean time I have confirmation from miniDSP Techsupport that this design error is in the system. They will add this to the 'feature request' list.
Lets see if this lands in one of the next firmware updates.

D

Deleted member 2944

In the mean time I have confirmation from miniDSP Techsupport that this design error is in the system. They will add this to the 'feature request' list.
Lets see if this lands in one of the next firmware updates.
Yep, this is a good catch. I tested my SHD yesterday and confirmed this. I had never actually used this feature, and don't foresee ever using it. :)

I suppose some users might want to utilize compression regardless of volume control position. Maybe that was the miniDSP thinking here?
Anyways, it seems the compression ability is a leftover feature from their professional units they could probably drop with these consumer units.

Dave.

Martin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I am seriously considering of replacing my Audio Experience balanced A2 preamplifier with a miniDSP SHD. I am currently biamplifying both the upper and lower cabinets of my Von Schweikert VR-4 Gen III HSE speakers.

image.php

Using a miniDSP SHD will allow me to:
  • get rid of the balanced passive preamp I'm using to attenuate the lower cabinet / ICEpower monoblock pair to match the the upper cabinet / PSET monoblock pair
  • get rid of my separate Topping DX7 Pro DAC and Raspberry Pi Volumio streamer
  • add a Topping A90 headphone amp
  • use Dirac Live room correction.

I have a couple of questions...

My VR-4 Gen III HSE speakers have acoustic fourth order crossovers at 150 Hz and 2.6 kHz. As there are separate binding posts on each cabinet I assume the bottom "crossover" is simply a 24db per octave low pass filter and the upper crossover incorporates a 24db per octave high pass filter along with the 2.6 kHz crossover between the midrange and tweeter. Is my assumption correct?

The miniDSP SHD can be used as an active crossover. Is there any benefit to using a 150 Hz 24db low pass filter to the ICEpower monoblocks feeding the lower cabinets and a 150Hz 24db per octave high pass filter to the PSET monoblocks powering the upper cabinet? And, if I do this, could I modify the upper cabinet/remove the lower cabinet passive crossovers in the speakers? Would I need to?

Thanks,
Martin

D

Deleted member 2944

You'd be talking about surgery to disable 'just' the high-pass portion of your mid/tweet boxes. (That may or may not be straightforward to do.)
Also, without characterizing the electrical response of both that high-pass filter and the low-pass filter in the woofer box, you don't have any 'reference' to match the SHD's response to......at least for an initial setup.

I guess this depends upon your understanding and skill in modifying existing crossovers, but IMHO, I think I'd just leave well enough alone.

Dave.

dwkdnvr

I'm doing pretty much what you describe with my SHD. My current speakers are a bit unusual, which made it a bit easier. They're Acoustic Reality Tetra 3D speakers, which are in 2-pieces. A top M/T module which is sold as a standalone speaker, and then a base woofer which also includes additional xover components to high-pass the top M/T. This arrangement made it easy to bypass all of the xover components in the woofer module, and use the SHD as the xover to driver the woofer and M/T module separately.

I have a couple of questions...

My VR-4 Gen III HSE speakers have acoustic fourth order crossovers at 150 Hz and 2.6 kHz. As there are separate binding posts on each cabinet I assume the bottom "crossover" is simply a 24db per octave low pass filter and the upper crossover incorporates a 24db per octave high pass filter along with the 2.6 kHz crossover between the midrange and tweeter. Is my assumption correct?

The miniDSP SHD can be used as an active crossover. Is there any benefit to using a 150 Hz 24db low pass filter to the ICEpower monoblocks feeding the lower cabinets and a 150Hz 24db per octave high pass filter to the PSET monoblocks powering the upper cabinet? And, if I do this, could I modify the upper cabinet/remove the lower cabinet passive crossovers in the speakers? Would I need to?

Thanks,
Martin

Some points:
- it's unlikely that a 4th order acoustic xover actually uses a 4th order electrical circuit. The natural roll-off of the driver is usually included as part of the acoustic filter. this is more true of high-passes than low-passes though, as 150 Hz might be low enough that the woofer's top-end roll-off doesn't help much. The upshot though is that you almost certainly want to measure or at least model the transfer function of the xover circuit - both the high-pass and low-pass.
- it may not be possible to simply bypass the high-pass section of the midrange crossover. there is no universal way of designing an xover filter, and if it's wired so that the low-pass elements come first in the circuit, you can't simply remove the later high-pass elements as they will interact.
- obviously, bypassing the xover requires physical modification of the speakers. The woofer is probably the easier piece, and might simply involve running wires directly from the binding posts to the driver, which is easily reversible. You'll have to evaluate the potential impact on resale etc on this type of mod.
- the benefits of doing this include 1) efficiency gains by bypassing the insertion loss in the passive xover (more typically realized in the M/T section as they are padded down to match the woofer) 2) ability to rework the xover into something that may work better (i.e sometimes commercial speakers use higher xover frequencies than ideal to provide better power handling).

Taken on balance, for what is likely a well-designed speaker like the VR-4, I'm not sure I'd find the potential advantages all that compelling. Global EQ and Dirac provide most of the benefits, and unless the W to M xover was mis-designed for some reason, I'd expect the benefits to be of the incremental nature.

In my case, I was pretty unimpressed with the performance of my speakers, despite the pedigree of what were at the time top-end Scan Speak drivers - muted and veiled would be how I'd describe them. (I got them really cheap 2nd hand, and got WAF approval to have 6' tall pyramids in our living room, so jumped on them). After bypassing all the passive components in the woofer module, the speakers were completely transformed - they now sound fantastic. They really exhibit that 'classic Scan-Speak sound' - which is usually described as warm, rich and musical, with the added benefit of being able to more easily/directly tailor the bass response.

Hayabusa

Yep, this is a good catch. I tested my SHD yesterday and confirmed this. I had never actually used this feature, and don't foresee ever using it. :)

I suppose some users might want to utilize compression regardless of volume control position. Maybe that was the miniDSP thinking here?
Anyways, it seems the compression ability is a leftover feature from their professional units they could probably drop with these consumer units.

Dave.

I would like to setup the compression to be more like a limiter by setting the ratio very high.
In this way I can limit the power of my NC400 that clearly can blowup my mid/high drivers with ease..

Martin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm doing pretty much what you describe with my SHD. My current speakers are a bit unusual, which made it a bit easier. They're Acoustic Reality Tetra 3D speakers, which are in 2-pieces. A top M/T module which is sold as a standalone speaker, and then a base woofer which also includes additional xover components to high-pass the top M/T. This arrangement made it easy to bypass all of the xover components in the woofer module, and use the SHD as the xover to driver the woofer and M/T module separately.

Some points:
- it's unlikely that a 4th order acoustic xover actually uses a 4th order electrical circuit. The natural roll-off of the driver is usually included as part of the acoustic filter. this is more true of high-passes than low-passes though, as 150 Hz might be low enough that the woofer's top-end roll-off doesn't help much. The upshot though is that you almost certainly want to measure or at least model the transfer function of the xover circuit - both the high-pass and low-pass.
- it may not be possible to simply bypass the high-pass section of the midrange crossover. there is no universal way of designing an xover filter, and if it's wired so that the low-pass elements come first in the circuit, you can't simply remove the later high-pass elements as they will interact.
- obviously, bypassing the xover requires physical modification of the speakers. The woofer is probably the easier piece, and might simply involve running wires directly from the binding posts to the driver, which is easily reversible. You'll have to evaluate the potential impact on resale etc on this type of mod.
- the benefits of doing this include 1) efficiency gains by bypassing the insertion loss in the passive xover (more typically realized in the M/T section as they are padded down to match the woofer) 2) ability to rework the xover into something that may work better (i.e sometimes commercial speakers use higher xover frequencies than ideal to provide better power handling).

Taken on balance, for what is likely a well-designed speaker like the VR-4, I'm not sure I'd find the potential advantages all that compelling. Global EQ and Dirac provide most of the benefits, and unless the W to M xover was mis-designed for some reason, I'd expect the benefits to be of the incremental nature.

In my case, I was pretty unimpressed with the performance of my speakers, despite the pedigree of what were at the time top-end Scan Speak drivers - muted and veiled would be how I'd describe them. (I got them really cheap 2nd hand, and got WAF approval to have 6' tall pyramids in our living room, so jumped on them). After bypassing all the passive components in the woofer module, the speakers were completely transformed - they now sound fantastic. They really exhibit that 'classic Scan-Speak sound' - which is usually described as warm, rich and musical, with the added benefit of being able to more easily/directly tailor the bass response.

Thanks for the detailed response. I've decided I'm not comfortable messing with the internal cross overs in the speakers for two reasons. 1) I don't want to diminish their resale value although these are my forever speakers and I do not anticipate ever selling them. 2) Albert Von Schweikert is known for his crossover design; they're part of what makes his speakers unique.

Is there any benefit in applying high and low pass filters before the amps or should I just feed them both full-range signals?

Martin

RichB

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Thanks for the detailed response. I've decided I'm not comfortable messing with the internal cross overs in the speakers for two reasons. 1) I don't want to diminish their resale value although these are my forever speakers and I do not anticipate ever selling them. 2) Albert Von Schweikert is known for his crossover design; they're part of what makes his speakers unique.

Is there any benefit in applying high and low pass filters before the amps or should I just feed them both full-range signals?

Martin

Bi-amping is controversial for some reason.
I do it after SBT comparison in my system performed with a friend.
If you apply a high and low pass filters that do not attenuate the crossovers, you limit the voltage amplification of both amps.
The can add some headroom and reduce intermodulation distortion of each amplifier.

Clipping tests with the AHB2 bi-amping mySalon2's show the only the clip indicators illuminating. These amps are voltage clipping and not current clipping. The Salon2 crossovers to the bass unit is at 150 Hz so the amplification can be fairly evenly distributed. A couple of us have asked Emotiva to consider adding crossover settings when bi-amping.

- Rich

D

Deleted member 2944

No, just feed them full range via a "Y"-cable scheme.
You'd be completely re-engineering (most likely in a negative way) the response of your speakers by filtering them twice. You might get lucky, but I highly doubt it.

The concept of bi-amping only reaches it's ultimate performance when the speaker system is designed that way from the start.

Dave.

D

Deleted member 2944

I would like to setup the compression to be more like a limiter by setting the ratio very high.
In this way I can limit the power of my NC400 that clearly can blowup my mid/high drivers with ease..
Yes, I understand. However, while waiting for miniDSP to (possibly) address this issue, you could implement some other hardware limits.

The NC400 amp has approximately the same voltage gain as many other (lower) power amplifiers. So, in that aspect your extra power is not inherently dangerous.
The SHD has a hard voltage limitation of 2VRMS RCA, and 4VRMS XLR. So, you could hardware attenuate the outputs an equivalent amount to your maximum volume control settings below 0db. Example: If you find yourself never higher than -12db on the system volume control, you could attenuate all four outputs that much. Now you have a maximum of 0.5VRMS available to a following power amplifier.
That said, your main protection for the mid/high drivers is an appropriate high-pass electrical filter. :)

However, I think you're much more likely to damage your mid/tweet drivers with the odd electrical spike (maybe from removing an interconnect inadvertently, or something like that) than you would be in normal usage when everything is working correctly. :)
I really wouldn't worry about this too much.

Dave.

Karu

Forum Donor
There is probably (hopefully) a simple answer to this. More a Volumio question - how can I wirelessly send audio (REW pink noise) from PC to the SHD? I have been using AirPlay on Mac, but I am stuck with the PC only for next few months.

carlob

Forum Donor
There is probably (hopefully) a simple answer to this. More a Volumio question - how can I wirelessly send audio (REW pink noise) from PC to the SHD? I have been using AirPlay on Mac, but I am stuck with the PC only for next few months.

Never used with a PC but the SHD comes with a wi-fi dongle

starless

You could use Airplay (iTunes can be installed on PC) - if you enable Shairport Sync on the SHD (settings in Volumio) then SHD can act as an Airplay endpoint.

rvsixer

I just now came across this post on an SL support forum regarding SHD (https://oplug-support.org/viewtopic.php?f=33&t=4721#p43024):
"One characteristic of note (for those with HT systems) is the unit has a minimum 24mS latency (associated with the Dirac Live functions) that can't be bypassed. (Even with the Dirac Live disabled.)
This might also be an issue if adding a separate path for subwoofer(s) since now you have a built-in 20+ foot delay."

That should effectively quell anyone thinking miniDSP does not know anything about target markets by not having incorporated HT bypass (think not only sub, but surrounds too).

I'll stick with a $100 one-time investment (regardless which stereo and multichannel preamps are used), and a 2-3 meter walk to get off the couch for a simple switch operation between music and HT maybe once or twice per session/day . You'll have to get up more often for a new drink, and then having to dispense that same drink later anyhow :).

Top Bottom