• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of miniDSP SHD DAC, DSP And Streamer

Kmac

Just heard back from Minidsp:
1-They have submitted to Roon for certification
2-Once approved there will be a new firmware which will allow volume control. Volume control via Roon will be adjusted through the master volume control in the minidsp.

Thanks v much for this update, I've been waiting to hear that the SHD is roon ready. It already looks like a fabulous device with this feature set, and this will put it over the top. I've been using the Tidal platform on my OPPO 105d for streaming Tidal for many years (not a Roon endpoint), and have wanted to try room and bass correction too. Sounds like if I get an SHD soon, I will be able to use Roon on the SHD for streaming Tidal and retire the OPPO 105 and my pre-amp from my hifi system as well.

mmenasci

I’m thinking of getting either and SHD or SHD studio. I use Roon. I currently have a MicroRendu connected to a modi3. Do you recommend I get the SHD or the SHD studio and add the modi 3 to it?

Dj7675

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
From the look of the measurements/review, it appears to be the SHD would provide better performance. The SHD is in the top tier of DACS tested here. The benefit would be an all in one solution as well. Unless the Modi 3 has a feature that the SHD doesn’t, I can’t see any advantages to adding an external DAC to the Studio.

aHaidc

@amirm Were the measurements all on digital/dac to Analog Out? Would the Analog In > Analog Out get as good measurements as the Digital > Analog Out? I would like to use the miniDSP SHD as an Pre-Amp and use mostly Analog In > Analog Out.

Last edited:

DubbyMcDubs

Thanks for the review @amirm. Did you ever get a chance to test the ADC in the MiniDSP SHD?

oivavoi

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
One more question, @amirm, as I know you are getting bored because you get too few requests these days! I was wondering whether you did - or might consider doing, if you still have it - any testing of the digital output? Jitter levels etc? This might indicate hos the SHD studio performs as a pure digital preamp.

EDIT: Just saw in the thread that the unit is sent back already. Alrighty then

patate91

Does the SHD has digital or analog volume control?

Last edited:

arboleda

Forum Donor
For what it's worth. I ordered the minidsp SHD and hadn't realized it would ship out of China but for anyone else who's considering it I thought I'd share my shipping experience to this point. I ordered the unit Thursday November 14th. I think I got an order confirmation on Thursday or Friday but I didn't get a shipment notification before the weekend which made me worry how long it'd take. However today (Monday November 18th) I started getting emails from DHL. Their estimate is delivery by the end of the day, tomorrow Tuesday November 19th. So while I was concerned about it shipping out of China, I'm happy with the time-to-door. I'll update this on arrival of the unit.

Oh, and I should note I'm in the US (San Diego, California).

Edit: it arrived in two packages (one was mic) on Tuesday and Wednesday. So 6 calendar days.

Last edited:

DubbyMcDubs

For what it's worth. I ordered the minidsp SHD and hadn't realized it would ship out of China but for anyone else who's considering it I thought I'd share my shipping experience to this point. I ordered the unit Thursday November 14th. I think I got an order confirmation on Thursday or Friday but I didn't get a shipment notification before the weekend which made me worry how long it'd take. However today (Monday November 18th) I started getting emails from DHL. Their estimate is delivery by the end of the day, tomorrow Tuesday November 19th. So while I was concerned about it shipping out of China, I'm happy with the time-to-door. I'll update this on arrival of the unit.

Thanks for posting that. Look forward to hearing your feedback on using the device!

Willem

Major Contributor
Since the Dirac makes this such an interesting device, is there any more news?

BeepPeep_61

I have been using this DAC for about a month, what can I say ..... fantastic, DIRAC has solved in full the problems that torment my sound-room !! All with extreme ease and now resolved the low frequency problems that polluted the voices reproduced by my audio system, I find myself listening to dozens of albums with a completely new pleasure.
I owned an OPPO Sonica DAC
http://archimago.blogspot.com/2017/06/measurements-oppo-sonica-dac-ess-sabre.html
that being at high performance levels (pcb equal to player 205) sonically cannot have differences from the SHD, but the presence of a system like DIRAC, is an unbridgeable advantage !!
Equipped (like OPPO) with a remote-controlled volume control with 100dB attenuation, it allows me to directly drive two MCIntosh MC601 mono endings, connected to a pair of B&W 802D2.
Arrived in about 15 days in a single box at the cost of about € 1450 Italian customs fees included.
I'm thinking if the one-year warranty has expired, make the following change in the two variants:
1) remove the original power supply (switching) inside the case and place it in an external container, with an electronic filter in series to reduce the ripple,
or
2) since the technical characteristics of the manufacturer show that this module has a max ripple of 120 mV, replace it with a very low ripple linear type.
Greetings to all

steven2583a

I just bought a MiniDSP SHD Studio version and trying to put my finger on the difference in the sound i'm hearing. I haven't full calibrated the sound level perfectly and do a session switching back and forth I'm running USB from my PC to my DAC and playing the same track from Volumio on MiniDSP going out COAX to my DAC. testing out a 44.1/16 bit and a 96/24 bit track. Has someone tested running a 96k/24 bit file through MiniDSP SHD Studio with volume at 0.0 and no EQ or Dirac. Does it come out bit perfect to the input?

AudioJester

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Happy owner here, I’ve removed everything from my system and won’t go back (DACs, preamps etc)

roon to Shd to ati amps to Linkwitz 521s/subs

Running Dirac 2

happy to answer questions

Nice. I also have a Lx521 with sub setup. What were you using for crossover etc. before?

Worth Davis

Forum Donor
I have the first version 521 using an ASP - one of my projects is to convert the speakers and switch to a DSP.

Crossovers I handled with a receiver or a small minidsp (the little dirac one was the before the SHD)

I currently use the SHD to combine the 521 and the subs and apply basic crossovers. The subs are collocated with the speakers so integration is pretty easy.

AGLeS

Forum Donor
Happy owner here, I’ve removed everything from my system and won’t go back (DACs, preamps etc)

roon to Shd to ati amps to Linkwitz 521s/subs

Running Dirac 2

happy to answer questions

This mirrors the system I’d like to set up. Any lessons learned to share with those who’d follow in your footsteps?

Top Bottom