• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of miniDSP SHD DAC, DSP And Streamer

Worth Davis

Forum Donor
Major flaw of the SHD is a lack of home theater bypass option for the analog inputs for front left, right and subwoofer. This is the only reason I won't buy one and I haven't heard of any work around solution other than some type of manual external switcher. So, if you are planning to listen to music in the same room you watch movies you might want to consider the Anthem STR Pre-amp instead.

use an external switch , will be less noise than a preamp ht bypass anyways, one was reviewed here

Worth Davis

Forum Donor
I thought the SHD only has two analogue inputs? I assumed the XLR & RCA could only be used separately? :facepalm:

I have a 2.2 set up so if I'm wrong, this is definitely an item to consider.
It has the same DAC as I have now (RME ADI2 FS) so I won't be losing out on anything....instead, I'll be gaining a huge amount of functionality. :D

rca, xlr , usb ,aes, lan inputs you can select one...actually let me go check it may have more

Sparky

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
rca, xlr , usb ,aes, lan inputs you can select one...actually let me go check it may have more

So can you use analogue L & R and XLR L & R at the same time for different sources?
So, XLR L & R for speakers and XLR for subs at the same time....

Dimifoot

Forum Donor

Worth Davis

Forum Donor
So can you use analogue L & R and XLR L & R at the same time for different sources?

Inputs - no
Outputs - yes

You can also mix ie rca input to xlr output or xlr input to rca output. I dont know how it would do 2 inputs, maybe I'm not understanding what you are asking?

jhaider

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Do you know if the current version measures any better?

What's "wrong" with it as tested?

The MiniDSP SHD is designed for 2.2 stereo listening. The majority of their potential customers who have 2.2 setups would have these speakers integrated in a home theater of some type.

I doubt it. If anything, desktop setups are likely more prevalent than home theaters with redundant equipment.

Sparky

Forum Donor
Inputs - no
Outputs - yes

You can also mix ie rca input to xlr output or xlr input to rca output. I dont know how it would do 2 inputs, maybe I'm not understanding what you are asking?

So you've basically answered my question really. I intended to use the RCA left & right inputs for my mains and one of the XLR inputs for my subs.

My only choice is to use the SHD for my mains (L & R) and a separate minidsp 2x4 HD for my subs but that may prove difficult to integrate.

Looks like it's back to the drawing board. :(

Or VERY VERY expensive Anthem STR Pre

Worth Davis

Forum Donor

Sparky,

You could have speaker a and subwoofer a on rca, speaker b on xlr, turn off amplifier to speaker A and have two config with one subwoofer. I think you would also use 2 dirac configs as well. Works fine, I did it with a external switch as well.

AudioJester

Forum Donor
The MiniDSP SHD is designed for 2.2 stereo listening. The majority of their potential customers who have 2.2 setups would have these speakers integrated in a home theater of some type. If miniDSP can't accommodate those customers with a HT Bypass they're losing out. Yes, I'm going to go buy a "4Runner" instead, and I'm not the only one. It's their loss.

I think your looking at this the wrong way.
I dont think they are missing out on anything. If they wanted to enter the HT market they would releasd a HT processor, but that market is crowded with well established brands. This is aimed at a different group with a different purpose.

What you want is a quality avr.....

Sparky

Forum Donor
Bust out a diagram on ms paint I'll help figure it out

I've had a few too many pints o_O to even begin to use MS paint but I do have a drawing of my current set up....

If that's any good to you?

IMG_20200213_113048.jpg

I intended to minimise my box count and just have a slimline Marantz NR1200 to replace my ageing (and rather large) Arcam SR250 and a preamp that could handle all inputs including being able to do room correction.

Was going to replace the Cyrus power amp with a pair of Purifi monoblocks too.....:p

Worth Davis

Forum Donor
Sparky,

The RME would go to XLR input. Done.

Your speakers and subs would connect to output 1,2,3,4. rca or xlr .You set the crossovers and mixing you want and run dirac. Done.

Sparky

Forum Donor
The MiniDSP SHD is designed for 2.2 stereo listening. The majority of their potential customers who have 2.2 setups would have these speakers integrated in a home theater of some type. If miniDSP can't accommodate those customers with a HT Bypass they're losing out. Yes, I'm going to go buy a "4Runner" instead, and I'm not the only one. It's their loss.

I think your looking at this the wrong way.
I dont think they are missing out on anything. If they wanted to enter the HT market they would releasd a HT processor, but that market is crowded with well established brands. This is aimed at a different group with a different purpose.

What you want is a quality avr.....

I agree with you there but, unfortunately, all the quality AVR's are between 9 and 11 channel but I'm only using 2 channels plus sub.
It's a huge waste of unused amps.

In my situation, it's really difficult to find an agreeable solution that doesn't break the bank.
I've said this before but the upcoming NAD M33 looks to be perfect for my needs but after an email exchange with their technical support team, it seems their M33 will NOT decode any HD audio via its HDMI E-ARC port. You have to set your source to downmix to 2 channel. This makes no sense as the whole point of E-ARC is to allow passthrough and decoding/downmixing of TrueHD/DTS-MA etc. :oops:

Sparky

Forum Donor
Sparky,

The RME would go to XLR input. Done.

Your speakers and subs would connect to output 1,2,3,4. rca or xlr .You set the crossovers and mixing you want and run dirac. Done.

Worth Davis.

I'm reading what you're saying but I'm not able to visualise it? Sorry to be a pain in the arse but could you maybe draw a sketch so I can "see" how you are doing this?

I'm an electrician of 25 years but can't figure out simple audio instruction. :facepalm:

Worth Davis

Forum Donor
I see now.

Arcam to Shd RCA input with set to large no crossovers in arcam off LR output, set a fixed volume
Rme to shd xlr
Speaker 1 and 2 to output one and two Shd
Subwoofer to 3 and 4 output shd
Done

Switch inputs on the shd between arcam and rme.

Sparky

Forum Donor
I see now.

Arcam to Shd RCA input with set to large no crossovers in arcam off LR output, set a fixed volume
Rme to shd xlr
Speaker 1 and 2 to output one and two Shd
Subwoofer to 3 and 4 output shd
Done

Switch inputs on the shd between arcam and rme.

You're a star mate. I don't really understand yet but I'll get there. It makes me laugh how I can fault find and rectify major faults on a large industrial electrical installation yet I struggle with how best to connect a preamp and it's sources. :eek:

I can't thank you enough my friend.

I can start planning my upgrades now. :)

Jimshoe

Just bought one of these to replace a Digione Sig feeding a MiniDSP DDRC22-D and Benchmark DAC2L (now for sale).

Overall very pleased. Initially I thought it sounded harsher than my previous setup but I think that was just my imagination. Now, fully 'plumbed in' with DIRAC running and it properly integrating my sub I'm really happy. It's not an improvement per se, more a sideways move, but I have managed to get rid of three boxes and a PSU so much neater.

Dj7675

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Just bought one of these to replace a Digione Sig feeding a MiniDSP DDRC22-D and Benchmark DAC2L (now for sale).

Overall very pleased. Initially I thought it sounded harsher than my previous setup but I think that was just my imagination. Now, fully 'plumbed in' with DIRAC running and it properly integrating my sub I'm really happy. It's not an improvement per se, more a sideways move, but I have managed to get rid of three boxes and a PSU so much neater.
That is one of the things I love about this device... It makes such a clean install. Getting sub integration/crossovers, dsp (manual or dirac), preamp functions,DAC and streaming (roon or volumio) all in one slim package.

jhaider

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
That is one of the things I love about this device... It makes such a clean install.

Unless you can't fit a full rack-length component on your desk! Then you get the Studio model and try to find places to hide those two DACs you also had to buy. Though with miniDSP PWR-ICE amps in backbones you can get a clean install with Studio too, as the amps take AES inputs.

Top Bottom