• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of Meier Corda Jazz Amp

MRC01

Major Contributor
The Soul amp seems like an interesting choice for headphone aficionados that want to faff around in the digital DSP realm with preselected options. ...
The Soul has some interesting engineering features. Switched power supplies, which could eliminate 50/60 Hz artifacts and bring PS noise below inaudible levels. Volume control is metal film stepped attenuators in the gain-feedback loop, with 64 fine grained steps (0.5-1.0 dB). Meier's "FF" which frequency-shapes the internal gain-feedback loop. Dual WM8471s each in mono mode (the data sheet for this chip shows slightly better specs in mono mode). Fully balanced -- no unbalanced inputs or outputs. Internal switches let you latch or float the ground, change the input level of the analog input, and disable the preamp XLR outputs. And it has various DSP features.
I can say even with all DSP disabled it sounds different from normal high quality SS amps. The midrange has excellent clarity and the treble is very smooth. I realize that sounds like subjectivist rambling... I have no idea how this appears in measurements, if at all.
Perhaps someone might loan one to Amir to measure one of these days ;) ...

Last edited:

Jan Meier

Audio Company
Dear friends,

One of the major problems of headphones amps is not the performance at very high sound levels but the performance at very low volume settings. Especially when using a source with a high output level and sensitive, low impedance headphones mechanical potentiometers all can show very noticable channel imbalances.

The only solution is to use a discrete volume control with e.g. stepped attenuators, relays or digital potentiometers.

Good stepped attenuators are generally bulky, expensive, and normally are limited to 23 steps (24 levels) with around 2 dB stepsize.

A solution with relais, as used in the CORDA CLASSIC or CORDA SOUL, allows for more and finer steps but is also expensive and technically complex.

Digital potentiometers use a resistor chain and do have a large number of electronic switches in the signal chain. This limits quality of sound.

In the JAZZ I wanted to implement a discrete volume control with a decent number of steps (32 levels) using electronic switches. Implementation is such, that at all volume settings only one switch is directly in the signal path. For this a 32:1 multiplexer IC is used.

Unfortunately multiplexer IC's have limitations with respect to their supply voltages and as a result the output voltage of the first amplification stage of the JAZZ is limited.

It is very well possible to make the output of the JAZZ not be limited by the input stage. One only has to increase the gain factor of the output stage and lower the gain factor of the input stage. The overall gain can be kept the same.

However a very low gain factor in front and a high gain factor at the output is not the best constellation for optimum sound quality. It is better to give the output amplifier moderate gain only.

So I had to choose/compromise between high output capacity and higher quality of sound.

The compromise that I made guarantees that any normal headphone can be driven to any "normal" sound level without distortion. Sure, with very inefficient headphones like a K1000, a HE-6, or a Susvara the limitations can appear, but if you drive the JAZZ into distortion with a HD600 or a T1 then you better pay a visit to your ENT-doctor, because then there is something very wrong with your hearing or listening habits.

So the limitations of output power of the JAZZ are "on purpose". Not a design flaw but a reasonable compromise towards quality of sound.

Over the last few years almost 500 JAZZ amplifiers have been sold and despite a 2 weeks return policy only a very few amplifiers have ever been returned and never any complaints have been received about output power limitations. To be honest, that tells me more than any measurement result.

And now some more comments to the comments! :)

"The volume control is achieved by changing the parallel feedback resistor between VolCtrl_A and VolCtrl_B."

Confirmed!

> I don't think it is a clever design as it will change the gain of the first 2 OPAMPs during volume adjustment.

??

That's exactly the purpose of the volume control!

" The whole 'active ground' theory seems like BS and complicates the output stage without any proven benefits. "

10..15 Years ago, there were quite a few discussions at the internet about the benefits of adding an active ground to headphone amplifiers. A rather well known example is the DIY M3 amp design.

At that time balanced headphones were not common yet and I started thinking of a method to pass some of the advantages of a balanced design into a single ended output. The result is the concept of "Active balanced ground".

I then build an amplifier that allowed me to switch its outputs between single ended, active ground, and active balanced ground operation.

Testing by ear revealed only small differences between single ended and active ground operation.

However, active balanced ground showed clear sonic benefits. Music came with more ease and power. Sound became more effordless.

So for me the benefits of active balanced ground are well proven and therefore both JAZZ and CLASSIC use this concept.

No need to call something BS if you haven't tested/heard yourself!

"I have no idea why he chose such high feedback values."

The JAZZ uses inverting amplification stages. The advantage is, that there is no voltage swing at the inputs of the opamp. The non-linear input capacities do have no effect on signal integrity. Generally inverting opamp stages do sound better than non-inverting stages.

The input impedance of the amp is the resistor value between input and first opamp. You don't want it to be small. The gain factor determines the feedback value. Thus higher feedback values result from the concept.

In this context it should be noted that some opamps do react adversely to low feedback resistor values, even with the gain factors kept the same. Often higher resistor values do sound better. But of course they shouldn't be extremely high because of thermal noise and other problems.

"Strange circuit. Probably designed just to be different than the rest ?"

The natural crossfeed filter was not designed just to be different but for many people is a real asset.

Volume control by variable gain does have major advantages over conventional solutions (less noise, less distortion).

Active balanced ground, as explained on my website, not only has theoretical advantages but the differences to "normal" single ended solutions really can be heard.

And the advantages of the FF-implementation also has been confirmed by many people (also in double blind tests).

Yes, I do many things differently, but not for the sake of just being different. If we would stick with old recipies all the time no real progress would ever be made.

"Welcome to the forum Jan. And thank you for detailed explanation."

I'm glad you allow me to add my comments. :)

"To my knowledge ff is hard to measure. "

"Why is it hard to measure? And if so, how was the design verified?"

"If you can't measure it, most likely it is snake oil."

Design of the FF-circuitry was initiated by my observation that amplification stages with higher amplification factors did have a more dynamic bass whereas lower amplification factors resulted in better, more resolving treble. So I simply made an amplifier with frequency depending gain factor and a correcting network in front. And it worked. Of course some fine tuning was needed but the initial listening tests were already very promising.

Measurements however, did not show any major differences in distortion levels or SNR. Actually, with the FF-technique the latter is a little bit worse.

Now, I don't have the very best measurement equipment but distortions less then 0.01% should be inaudible anyway.

I even built a setup with 8 amplifications stages in line in order to "amplify" distortion and thus make the differences between standard and ff-implementation more visible. However, I did not succeed. Distortion levels were still too small for my setup.

"If you can't measure it, most likely it is snake oil."

Or you measure the wrong parameter!

There is much more to quality of sound than distortion numbers, frequency responses and SNR.

My feeling is, that the sonic advantages of the FF-technology are not explained by differences in distortion or SNR. It's more about timing-

But how do you measure timing, silkyness, effordless, .......?

You can have endless discussions on that!!

" The used logo looks like 'China Export' logo."

To be honest, before this discussion I've never heard of the "China Export" logo before. It is not an issue over here in Europe. But in the US situation probably is different as over there the CE-logo is nothing official so any "copy" like the "China Export" logo is not forbidden.

" Rf appears to be resistor 'ladder ?'

No, resistors are placed in parallel.

" Agreed that there seems to be unused potential in the output stage. It could be a 'design' philosophy from Jan that the output stage should never come anywhere near clipping level. Could also be that he did not find it was necessary to have huge output powers available that would never be used."

As explained above the latter is the case.

"Given the fact that most opamps he uses perform best at higher power supply rails and is of the opinion that opamps must be 'pulled' into class-A makes me believe that he believes that subjective evaluations and theories are more important than technical limits."

The JAZZ uses +/- 18V powerrails, which is the maximum allowed by the components used. Higher voltages do result in better sound (although the differences to 15V supply rails are relatively small.

And yes, pulling the output stage of the opamp into class-A does, to my ears, improve sound quality. To be honest, I've never compared distortion numbers with and without though. But differences can be heard.

" Given that the specs Jan provides seem to be incorrect and belonged to another amp says to me that he does not find it an important spec. "

Well, the spec is important, but I mixed up with the JAZZ-FF. The FF-technology allows for much higher overall output levels. As an example some measurements for this amp:

http://www.meier-audio.homepage.t-online.de/bilder/F0000TEK.BMP

At 100 Hz the JAZZ-FF outputs a maximum of 11.5 Vrms .

Granted, at higher frequencies the maximum output level decreases but at 400 Hz we still have 6.0 Vrms.

http://www.meier-audio.homepage.t-online.de/bilder/F0001TEK.BMP

So if you feel the JAZZ is too limited for your personal purposes, the JAZZ-FF may well be worth a consideration. Depending on the music signal you have 6..8 dB more headroom.

That's 4..6 times the power of the regular JAZZ.

Cheers

Jan

MRC01

Major Contributor
That's interesting. Since the energy distribution of most natural sounds is concentrated in the fundamental frequencies and drops about 6 dB / octave into the treble, the FF attenuates the bass relative to the treble, so larger signals can pass through the amp stage without being clipped. If so, how much more output you get depends on the shape of the FF curve and the frequency distribution of the music signal.

I have my Jazz back from Amir and I'm listening to it side by side with the JDS Element. The Element is well built and powerful, it sounds good and can drive pretty much any headphone, but to my ears the Jazz (mine is not the FF version) still sounds a bit more refined at the moderate volumes I actually listen (low gain, 9:00 to 12:00 with LCD-2). The difference is subtle, but real. It should be measurable, but it is hard to know what parameter(s) to measure because subtle differences are hard to characterize. Amir's new 50 mV measurements show that amp performance at high volume/power can be quite different from performance at normal listening levels. This is a step toward devising measurements that correlate better to actual listening conditions.

Last edited:

Brianc

I've been using the Corda Jazz for a while and have been pleased with it. I mostly used it (until recently) with HD650s. When I first got it, I occasionally found power to be lacking (and audible distortion) with some sources, particularly my laptop feeding a cheap USB dac. Then I switched to a Topping D30 and haven't had to turn the volume past 12 o'clock since. With easier to drive headphones (my Audioquest Night Owls, particularly) I don't get past 9 on the volume. I don't hear any distortion (or hum) since switching to the D30.
I really like the crossfeed feature on the amp ( which apparently Amirm has no opinion on), and I miss it when I listen to other devices without it. IMO, it's worth the extra money (I bought on sale ) that this amp costs in comparison to other amps that might sound as good or better in some aspects, but lack the crossfeed.

Last edited:

MRC01

Major Contributor
Yeah, I like mine too but it's an unusual amp. Despite its voltage clipping power limitations, it is not current limited, producing roughly 10x the power into 1/10 the impedance. With a stepped attenuator volume it has perfect channel balance at all volume settings and despite having mediocre SINAD at max output, it has one of the best 50 mV SINADs that Amir has yet published.
My LCD-2 headphones have decent voltage sensitivity, so the Jazz drives them nicely. It would not be able to drive headphones having low voltage sensitivity.

Last edited:

solderdude

Grand Contributor
and despite having mediocre SINAD at max output, it has the best 50 mV SINAD that Amir has yet published.

Not anymore ... surpassed by ADI2 DAC and on par with THX AAA789
But still up there on one aspect for sure.

index.php

MRC01

Major Contributor
Nice! I corrected my post.
PS: to be fair, the ADI2 measured 93 dB SINAD at 50 mV from its special IEM jack. Its 1/4" jack measured 85.4 dB. The Jazz measured 90.1 from its 1/4" jack.

Last edited:

Brianc

I'm sitting here listening to A Lark Ascending through AQ Nightowls, the Corda Jazz (crossfeed engaged), and Topping D30 coaxial input. The sound is lovely to my ears. Maybe I don't have sensitive enough ones to hear the problems reported in the review, or I just don't have a need to really push the amp.
That said, I ordered the JDS Atom to see what I'm missing (I know I'll be missing the crossfeed with the Atom unless using software that has licensed it from Meier).
Will report back with my subjective findings.

MRC01

Major Contributor
I own and like both of those amps, curious to get your opinion. I'll hold mine back for now, so I don't bias you.
Besides the obvious, which is that the Atom is much more powerful. I'm more interested in a comparison at normal listening levels. Incidentally that is around 50 mV output, putting most headphones in the range of 75 to 85 dB SPL.

Brianc

[QUOTE="MRC01, post: 178742, member: I'm more interested in a comparison at normal listening levels. Incidentally that is around 50 mV output, putting most headphones in the range of 75 to 85 dB SPL.[/QUOTE]

I looked back at the Atom review and don't see a SINAD # at 50mv. Was it measured?

Brianc

I have had the Atom for several days now and have been comparing with the Jazz, using Senn HD650 and Audioquest Nighowls. The latter are rated at 25 ohms and are much easier to drive than the 650s.
I appreciate the inclusion of the 3.5 mm input on the Atom, which makes using my phone as a source a simple thing. The preamp outputs are also nice, and I used those to feed the Jazz to see how that sounded when I wanted to use the crossfeed feature on the Jazz ( which the Atom lacks) with my phone as source. Most listening was done, though, using the Topping D30, either the coaxial or optical input. Mostly CDs, some downloads and Tidal.
Perhaps predictably, I've had trouble choosing one amp or the other as "better", at least when not using the crossfeed on the Jazz. Since I prefer using the crossfeed on the Jazz most of the time, this means I preferred the Jazz most of the time--at normal volumes anyway. Rarely have I needed to push either amp.
But when I have felt the desire for really loud levels, the Atom clearly has more clean power. Example: St. Vincent's excellent recent performance on Austin City Limits, streamed on the PBS Roku app. The output is a little weak from this app, and this music really needs to be played loud. So I had to crank both amps well past 12 o'clock on high gain, even using the easy to drive Nightowls (the 650s can't compare here, more about that below). The Atom was cleaner and with power to spare. This is not typical usage, but definitely reveals the Atom to be a more powerful amp.
An example where I had a clear preference for the Jazz, was, well Jazz. Mingus's Ah Um sounds amazing with crossfeed through the Jazz. I thought it was a little bright through the Atom.
So which do I prefer? Well, the one consistent preference I had was the Nightowls over the 650s, with either amp and by a considerable margin. I've had the 'Owls for a couple of months, and this is the first time I've done a lot of comparing with the 650s. Only occasionally, with female vocal-centric music, for example, do I prefer the 650s. The Nightowls are amazing, super low distortion headphones.
Which amp with them, if I could keep only one? The Corda Jazz. The Atom is a better value, but for my personal use it was worth the $265 sale price I paid for the Jazz. I really like the crossfeed for long listening sessions, and since I listen to mostly physical media, the software version isn't convenient.
If I only had the 650s, however, the choice would be tougher. They need a lot of power compared to the Owls. I'd probably go with the Atom. Better yet, I'd put the money toward the Nightowl headphones while they're still available (less than $300 since AQ got out of the headphone business).

MRC01

Major Contributor
I have original HD580 from the late 90s, which are similar to the 6xx in sound quality and voltage sensitivity. I also have Audeze LCD-2 Fazor (2016 drivers), which play 3.6 dB louder at the same voltage. The 580 are harder to drive not only because they require more voltage, but also because they have big impedance swings with frequency (600 ohm @ 100 Hz, 300 ohm around 1 kHz) while the LCD-2 are a flat 72 ohm at all frequencies.

Power: at the Jazz max clean output of 3.7 V, the HD-580 make 116.4 dB and the LCD-2 make 120 dB. Either is more than my ears can take. So the Atom is more powerful, but the Jazz has more power than I can use. At 50 mV output, the 580 make 79.2 dB, the LCD-2 82.8 dB.

With careful level matching (pink noise measuring and matching overall level) I find the Jazz & Atom sonically indistinguishable. Except at very low volume levels, where the Atom has a small audible channel imbalance. That's not an issue since it's much lower than I normally listen. Subjectively, the Jazz sounds "smoother" or "sweeter" but every time I try to pin it down in a blind test, even with the highest quality recordings, the difference disappears. Detection of subtle differences in blind tests is known to be sensitive to switching delays as short as 50 milliseconds. Perhaps switching the headphone plug, which takes a few seconds, is enough delay to mask the differences. If so, whatever audible differences do exist are subtle enough to be considered indistinguishable for pragmatic purposes.

That said, I used to have a JDS Element and I could distinguish that from the Jazz in the same kind of level matched blind tests. So the Atom is perceptually more transparent (or at least different from) than the Element.

The Jazz has higher build & parts quality. I've had it for 5+ years of daily use and it still looks and functions like new. The Atom has plastic parts and cheaper switches, the volume knob feels a bit stiff & clunky where the Jazz is liquid smooth. The Atom doesn't feel like it will last as long but only time will tell.

The Atom has RCA unbalanced preamp outputs which is a nice feature the Jazz doesn't have, and can't have, due to its unusual active balanced ground output.

The Jazz has the crossfeed circuit. I don't use it often, but for the occasional recording having hard L-R separation, it's really nice. I've tried many different crossfeed implementations over the years, both analog & digital, and this is the best I've heard. It causes a very slight change in voicing, making things sound just a touch leaner. But it is the most transparent I have heard, except for the Meier Soul, which has the same crossfeed concept implemented in DSP.

Brianc

I agree about the build quality. The Atom feels like a 50 dollar amp.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
The 580 are harder to drive not only because they require more voltage, but also because they have big impedance swings with frequency (600 ohm @ 100 Hz, 300 ohm around 1 kHz) while the LCD-2 are a flat 72 ohm at all frequencies

Both headphones are easy to drive. The higher impedance ones just require a higher voltage.
The impedance bump actually makes a headphone easier to drive as even less current is needed (the efficiency in dB/mW rises) the efficiency in dB/V does not.

JJB70

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I think JDS are missing a trick, they should put the Atom internals in a fancy metal box ballasted down to weigh a few kilos and charge $$$$$$$$$$$$$'s for it. Add wooden side panels, champagne gold finish and stick a couple of VU meters on the front and it'd be just tip top. Never underestimate the sonic benefits of champagne gold finish, wooden side panels and VU meters, some will try and tell you it doesn't make any audible difference but to the true golden eared audiophiles among us these things definitely add more pace and rhythm, lifting a veil and move you two rows forward.

MRC01

Major Contributor
The mission for the Atom was maximum bang (sound quality) for the buck. Mission accomplished.
There's actually some practical benefit to some of your suggestions. A metal case can have some Faraday Cage effect, shielding from external noise. High quality switches and knobs are more robust and durable. A high quality volume pot is quieter and has better channel balance across its range.
It would be nice to see JDS release a "super" version of the Atom with these high quality parts, perhaps even a stepped attenuator volume.
I like audio gear that reminds me of the electronics I used to work on with the US Navy. Solid metal boxes with high quality switches and knobs, no fancy displays, extremely solid and durable.

MRC01

Major Contributor
Both headphones are easy to drive. The higher impedance ones just require a higher voltage.
The impedance bump actually makes a headphone easier to drive as even less current is needed (the efficiency in dB/mW rises) the efficiency in dB/V does not.
That's one effect. Another is that the impedance drops from 600 to 300 Ohm, from 100 to 20 Hz. The amp, being a voltage source, has to work twice as hard at 20 Hz as it does at 100 Hz. With orthos, the headphone is like a simple resistor, same impedance and load at all frequencies, always in phase.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Being a voltage source it does NOT have to work any 'harder'.
300 Ohm and 600 Ohm is not a problem at all for any amplifier.
The electrical phase shift of +/- 10 degrees (HD600) is no problem for any amp.
VERY easy to drive.

The higher required voltage is a problem for the Jazz but it does not make the HD600 'hard to drive' it just is not fully driven by it.

The 70 Ohm of the LCD2 is in fact 'harder' to drive as the 20Hz '300 Ohm load' of the HD600 as even more current is demanded.
Not a problem for the Jazz as current is no problem.

Top Bottom