• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required as is 20 years of participation in forums (not all true). Come here to have fun, be ready to be teased and not take online life too seriously. We now measure and review equipment for free! Click here for details.

Review and Measurements of Matrix Audio X-SPDIF 2 USB Converter

Hi everyone! I'm currently in need for a USB to Optical SPDIF converter and I've just stumbled upon this product and review.

Two questions though:

1. Does anyone know whether or not this device supports native USB Class 1 (i.e. without drivers)? I don't inherently have a problem with USB Class 2 drivers but I do always like to have USB Class 1 available as a fallback just in case driver support vanishes in the future.

2. Is there any other USB to Optical SPDIF converter that I should be looking at instead (at either an equivalent or lower price)? My only other requirements (in addition to the point above) are that it absolutely must be USB-powered (as I really want to keep cables to a minimum) and TOSLINK is also a must because I might be purchasing a DAC soon that only has TOSLINK SPDIF available as a digital input.

Thank you!

gvl

Major Contributor
Is UAC2 support still an issue in 2019? W7 end of life is looming. All other modern OSs support UAC2 natively.

soundwave76

Forum Donor
I have the Matrix and it’s doing it’s job very well. I do have their drivers installed, though I have the previous version without the i2s. You might want to check out Topping D10 and Singxer USB interfaces.

Is UAC2 support still an issue in 2019? W7 end of life is looming. All other modern OSs support UAC2 natively.
I guess. The last time I owned a DAC which only supported UAC2 I ended up returning the DAC as I was experiencing some really bizarre behavior with the third party driver and sample rates (admittedly this was on Windows 7 where a native driver doesn't exist), so I guess there's still some residual paranoia in me from that less-than-optimal experience.

The Topping D10 looks cute, didn't realise that it had a TOSLINK out! Always thought it was just a really small dedicated DAC haha.

Nango

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Hi everyone! I'm currently in need for a USB to Optical SPDIF converter and I've just stumbled upon this product and review.

Two questions though:

2. Is there any other USB to Optical SPDIF converter that I should be looking at instead (at either an equivalent or lower price)? My only other requirements (in addition to the point above) are that it absolutely must be USB-powered (as I really want to keep cables to a minimum) and TOSLINK is also a must because I might be purchasing a DAC soon that only has TOSLINK SPDIF available as a digital input.

Thank you!
Many many DAP with such an optical output do this job although it is not their intended main purpose. They receive via USB the audio signal and output via toslink. Fiio X3 2nd as an example.

bequietjk

I can vouch for the Topping D10. It was an excellent spdif converter and when paired with the Geshelli Labs Enog 2 connected via coax digital it was a wonderful listening experience!

Yviena

Does anyone know if i for example where to use a dual powersupply to power both the xspdif2, and the source/laptop, etc will that prevent the worse measurements that where found in this review when externally powering the unit, or was the laptop amirm used on battery power?

Veri

Major Contributor
Does anyone know if i for example where to use a dual powersupply to power both the xspdif2, and the source/laptop, etc will that prevent the worse measurements that where found in this review when externally powering the unit, or was the laptop amirm used on battery power?
These measurements are done on battery power over USB, I recommend using the same. Really no point plugging in external, noiser power.

Yviena

These measurements are done on battery power over USB, I recommend using the same. Really no point plugging in external, noiser power.
Hmm i see. i wouldn't really call the power noisier though, the lps used measures 150nV 0-20Khz, i don't really notice a audible difference powering it this way, or direct but may as well just connect it directly for peace of mind then.

Last edited:

bequietjk

In the Matrix control panel, for Output Volume, I noticed there is a dial for 'Master' and 'Analogue 1/SPDIF 1'. In reducing the volume and just using either in general, what effect do they have that the other does not?

Andrew, THX AAA 789 creator mentioned that to get the most voltage swing possible from the 789 you would want to have the 789 at high gain and dial down the DAC signal down in db. Not only does my Matrix XSPDIF2 have the Master and Analogue volume dials, but my Geshelli ENOG2 Pro (being fed by the Matrix) has it's 3 level output options as well... I'm not quite sure in understanding what to adjust for best signal-noise ratio.

Help!

From @Veri 's suggestion I picked up this xspdif2 and replaced my Gustard U16. In my poor, sighted, 2 second changeover, A/B tests the two sounded very similar.

Veri

Major Contributor
From @Veri 's suggestion I picked up this xspdif2 and replaced my Gustard U16. In my poor, sighted, 2 second changeover, A/B tests the two sounded very similar.
Well it is digital domain after all. Any DAC worth it money should be able to receive even a dirty digital channel and still have a clean analogue output. On paper the matrix x-spdif2 has better internals than the Gustard though.

Top Bottom