• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of Matrix Audio HPA-3U DAC & HP Amp

ObjectiveSubjectivist

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Dac is weak part and hp amplifier is good because hp amp is a rip of from Lehman audio circuit. Isn't it ?

ObjectiveSubjectivist

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
How so ? Got schematics to compare ?
I'm not surre. But I've read some review/opinion on forum. People were also curious about it. Some people said that could be something on.
Looking on internals of matrix audio I see some similarities to lehmann audio amp. For me it looks like a bit changed modified lehmann circuit.

maxxevv

Major Contributor
I'm not surre. But I've read some review/opinion on forum. People were also curious about it. Some people said that could be something on.
Looking on internals of matrix audio I see some similarities to lehmann audio amp. For me it looks like a bit changed modified lehmann circuit.

This is ASR , we don't go by hearsay around these parts .....

speedwheels

That is a crazy amount of power considering the relatively low prices these go for in the used market.
A decent value even if you completely ignore the dac section.

Other forum posts indicate the audeze deckard is a rebrand of this amp.

maxxevv

Major Contributor
That is a crazy amount of power considering the relatively low prices these go for in the used market.
A decent value even if you completely ignore the dac section.

Other forum posts indicate the audeze deckard is a rebrand of this amp.

From picts available online, they look identical in layout, difference being the Matrix one using SMT components while the Audeze one using through-hole mounted components instead. Not so sure if the components are equivalent/identical though.

speedwheels

I wonder if this thing has a jumper to switch the preout from preamp mode to a true constant voltage lineout.

FireLion

HPA-3B is a nice amp with the latest OPA1656 opamps which have very low distortion.

pkane

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Can't wait for the review of the 3b. If performance is exemplary maybe I don't need to purchase a Thx AAA 789 after all.

Don't think it'll be in the same ballpark as THX AAA 789 (I have both :)) Based my experience with 3B (modded) and the reports from others who have posted here with some measurements while doing additional mods, I think the stock 3B performance will be in the good, but not exceptional range.

JJB70

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Given this is an older, apparently obsolete, product it still performs well. Although the DAC doesn't measure spectacularly well I suspect very few would notice any audible difference between this and a SOTA measuring DAC whilst the headphone amp has almost biblical power available and will drive anything to ear bleeding volumes with room to spare. Given that it looks to be nicely made and from a company with an excellent reputation the price looks pretty reasonable to me.

Top Bottom