• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of Matrix Audio Element X DAC/Streamer/Amp

raykkho

Forum Donor
Can anyone tell me if my Element X is using the MQA filters when playing FLAC stream or files?
There have been several posts on various forums saying this is the case with any DAC that incorporates MQA.
I only know of Mytek Brooklyn having this issue, quite well documented.

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Nice inside picture by HFN.
https://www.hifinews.com/content/matrix-audio-element-x-network-attached-dac-page-2

221matrix.ins.jpg

chi2

Forum Donor
Very clean build. But shouldn't the transformer be shielded? Or is this less relevant with toroid ones?

chi2

Forum Donor
"If you're thinking 'Matrix who?', you're in danger of missing out on one of the more conspicuous hi-fi bargains of the moment. In a world rapidly becoming over-populated with big-ticket DAC/headphone amps, this modestly-proportioned contender has the wherewithal to soar to the top, thanks to its flexibility, ease of use – either with the MA app or Roon – and performance that's never short of thrilling."

Modestly proportioned hifi bargain
roflmao

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Very clean build. But shouldn't the transformer be shielded? Or is this less relevant with toroid ones?

I thought the same, a steel cup around the transformer would add almost nothing to the overall cost. But then again no 50/60Hz noise is measured, so why bother?

Modestly proportioned hifi bargain
roflmao

It all depends on the point of view. ASR is very focused on mid to low prices in the hi-fi market. See how it compares to pricier DACs below.
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...-mola-tambaqui-measurements.10693/post-306420

Last edited:

groovybassist

Forum Donor
I’m using a Matrix Audio Element X and am very happy with it from a hardware and performance standpoint. My only criticism is the MA Remote iOS app - I don’t think it’s level of development is commensurate with the rest of the unit. It’s not a huge issue for me as I’m running Roon, but still worth mentioning.

I run the Element X directly into a Tom Christiansen built Modulus-286, with KEF LS50 Meta loudspeakers. Simple, great sounding setup, but admittedly lacking in bass (something I’m noodling…).

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I’m using a Matrix Audio Element X and am very happy with it from a hardware and performance standpoint. My only criticism is the MA Remote iOS app - I don’t think it’s level of development is commensurate with the rest of the unit. It’s not a huge issue for me as I’m running Roon, but still worth mentioning.

I run the Element X directly into a Tom Christiansen built Modulus-286, with KEF LS50 Meta loudspeakers. Simple, great sounding setup, but admittedly lacking in bass (something I’m noodling…).
Add a KC-62 and problem solved. :)

groovybassist

Forum Donor
Add a KC-62 and problem solved. :)
Does seem like the simple, but costly way out, not to mention lack of availability. Rythmik is on my radar as well. Both allow for high pass to the LS 50s, but I’m struggling with introducing extra circuitry between the Element X and Mod-286. With the Element X and Mod-286 being engineered so thoroughly to minimize distortion/garbage, it’s counter-intuitive to me to add in less optimized circuitry. First world problems, I know…

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Does seem like the simple, but costly way out, not to mention lack of availability. Rythmik is on my radar as well. Both allow for high pass to the LS 50s, but I’m struggling with introducing extra circuitry between the Element X and Mod-286. With the Element X and Mod-286 being engineered so thoroughly to minimize distortion/garbage, it’s counter-intuitive to me to add in less optimized circuitry. First world problems, I know…
Just don't high-pass the LS50 Metas and use the sub to fill where they stop, 1st world problem solved.

groovybassist

Forum Donor
Just don't high-pass the LS50 Metas and use the sub to fill where they stop, 1st world problem solved.
Doesn’t that defeat one of the fundamental benefits of using a sub - relieving the satellites of bass duties? I’m concerned integration of sat/sub would be more difficult as well vs. high pass.

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Doesn’t that defeat one of the fundamental benefits of using a sub - relieving the satellites of bass duties? I’m concerned integration of sat/sub would be more difficult as well vs. high pass.
You are correct, but if you already like the speakers as they are today, they will remain the same with a sub added, it just won't get relieved of the bass. Still it is better than without a sub imo.

groovybassist

Forum Donor
You are correct, but if you already like the speakers as they are today, they will remain the same with a sub added, it just won't get relieved of the bass. Still it is better than without a sub imo.
I guess if giving up high-pass, that opens the door to more/cheaper sub alternatives as well.

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

groovybassist

Forum Donor
Decided to pull the trigger on an SVS SB3000. Will run the LS50 Metas full range (XLR output from Element X to Mod-286) and use the RCA output on the Element X to the SB3000. I’m not one who likes to fool around and tweak stuff for hours on end - hoping the SVS Bluetooth app will enable me to dial things in relatively quickly from the main listening seat.

Aibek

Should I turn off the Matrix at night? - when you don't listen to music or can you leave it on constantly?

groovybassist

Forum Donor
Decided to pull the trigger on an SVS SB3000. Will run the LS50 Metas full range (XLR output from Element X to Mod-286) and use the RCA output on the Element X to the SB3000. I’m not one who likes to fool around and tweak stuff for hours on end - hoping the SVS Bluetooth app will enable me to dial things in relatively quickly from the main listening seat.

Was a short-lived experiment. I ended up returning the SB3000 due to what I considered to be an unacceptable level of hiss/tweeting noise from the sub driver. I fully expected some level of self-noise given the active nature of the circuit, but being able to hear these noises 18" away from the driver, even when bass content was playing, was not acceptable to me. SVS was great to deal with in every way though - fast shipping, very responsive to my concerns and prompt, professional handling of the return.

I think when you start down the path of electronics that push noise/distortion to vanishingly low levels (the Element X and Neurochrome Mod-286 I have come to mind...), your expectations of partnering gear change. Onward...

Top Bottom