• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of Matrix Audio Element X DAC/Streamer/Amp

somy

Thanks for letting me know.
By the way, did you try to control the element M by some other 3rd party app?
In which case would the device skip a song from Tidal playlist? Could it be some buffer issue so when the buffer is full it doesn’t try to load songs? Although I don’t think there is any network issue in my setup, but due to the low speed network card and 802.11N WiFi, can the device skip songs when there is a high latency? Does it ever retry in such scenarios?
And any concrete plan to support Tidal connect for element series?

francisg

In which case would the device skip a song from Tidal playlist? Could it be some buffer issue so when the buffer is full it doesn’t try to load songs? Although I don’t think there is any network issue in my setup, but due to the low speed network card and 802.11N WiFi, can the device skip songs when there is a high latency? Does it ever retry in such scenarios?
And any concrete plan to support Tidal connect for element series?
Just as an FYI, I have similar issues with Qobuz - but seemingly less through Qobuz over Roon.

Archsam

Just noticed this morning version 2.2.8 of the MA Remote app is now available. Has anyone tried it?

D

Deleted member 20875

Just noticed this morning version 2.2.8 of the MA Remote app is now available. Has anyone tried it?
Very slow. I mean, really slow. But it does scan the NAS entirely, although takes ages. Overall same rubbish as before.

Archsam

Very slow. I mean, really slow. But it does scan the NAS entirely, although takes ages. Overall same rubbish as before.

All I want is a stable app - 2.2.7 for some reason freezes when I try to play songs from my NAS, I can see all the files fine, but if I select 'add to end of queue', or just select to play an individual song, it was completely unresponsive.

This did not happened right away, but it occurred once after I was using the internet radio feature, and a second time in the middle of music playback. Both times I had to uninstall and reinstall the app.

I am also being put on the beta firmware testing team by MA, currently running FW C02001, and one thing I noticed is it will not allow me to rescan my wifi network (i.e. hold down the big knob for 5 seconds to get into set up mode). Luckily I don't have the need yet but if I do, I'll be buggered because I have no idea how to 'undo' firmware.

somy

Tried the new iOS version, same problem. Playback stops randomly after a few songs. It makes random skips and eventually gives up.
@MatrixAudio: any update on the issue?

francisg

I'm going wireless through Asus RT-AC88U. There's definitely something about the MA Player/streamer handling of sub-optimal wifi conditions that's causing the odd behavior. for me, it's more likely to occur (I'm using Qobuz) when streaming HiRes 96k streams. Which Roon handles fine because it buffers on the Roon Core first. But even Roon has the track skipping issues when taxed (eg. when I make Roon do upsampling to 368k or 768k streams :)). The wireless N bandwidth is just not adequate as my Roon Core is also on WiFi on the same wireless router. So it has to download a 96k stream and then restream it out as 384 or 768k. when it bottlenecks on the wifi, it does the same thing you're describing.

somy

I'm going wireless through Asus RT-AC88U. There's definitely something about the MA Player/streamer handling of sub-optimal wifi conditions that's causing the odd behavior. for me, it's more likely to occur (I'm using Qobuz) when streaming HiRes 96k streams. Which Roon handles fine because it buffers on the Roon Core first. But even Roon has the track skipping issues when taxed (eg. when I make Roon do upsampling to 368k or 768k streams :)). The wireless N bandwidth is just not adequate as my Roon Core is also on WiFi on the same wireless router. So it has to download a 96k stream and then restream it out as 384 or 768k. when it bottlenecks on the wifi, it does the same thing you're describing.
I’m just guess it could be something to do with the buffer - maybe some tiny network latency (with or without WiFi) can cause strange issue with the buffer, and there is no retry logic. I thought it was only a problem with tidal. In theory 802.11n is good enough for hires music, but I’ve experienced problems with both WiFi and ethernet.

MatrixAudio

Audio Company
Hi, missed your post. No I only use MA Remote on my iPhone to control the device. I haven’t managed to reproduce the skip problem, but almost every time when I play a playlist in tidal, it stops in the middle for no reason, and I had to press play again to continue. Sometimes it reload all songs in the playlist so I had to play from the top again.
Just to add, if you have Tidal license why not ask Tidal to put your products under supported devices page?
Hi Somy,
Tidal have updated their partner page weeks ago. Please check it. https://tidal.com/supported-devices
Thanks for your feedback, we will continue to investigate the issue.

somy

Hi Somy,
Tidal have updated their partner page weeks ago. Please check it. https://tidal.com/supported-devices
Thanks for your feedback, we will continue to investigate the issue.
Hi, thanks for coming back - looks like others also experience similar problem with other streaming service provider.
For me this problem happens very randomly:
1) It works fine without issue for some days
2) It stops right after 1st song of any playlist/album from Tidal
3) It stops in the middle of a Tidal playlist
When 2 (not sure about 3 as it's more difficult to test) happens it doesn't help to only restart the streamer. I found that restart streamer, sign off tidal, uninstall app, re-install app, sign in Tidal, and it solves the problem (not always though).
Are you able to reproduce the issues? Could it some local cache of Tidal playlist URL which is invalidated by Tidal due to change to the playlist?

Aibek

Has anyone tried connecting a separate headphone amp to the Matrix Element X?

Kesi

Attachments

• 0A6EFB4E-9B3C-4BDC-9AAF-8ED1A624EAC7.jpeg
    0A6EFB4E-9B3C-4BDC-9AAF-8ED1A624EAC7.jpeg
    773.5 KB · Views: 132

Kesi

Is the sound better?

I lose a very small amount of micro details when the Pro iCan is connected to the balanced out of element X, but I gain a lot of resolution and punch with the option to tweak the bass and 3D. Both have pros and cons, I use the element x built in amp when listening to classical, instrumental, orchestra, acoustic and some jazz. The pro iCan for rock, alternative, heavy metal,..

Veri

Master Contributor
I lose a very small amount of micro details when the Pro iCan is connected to the balanced out of element X, but I gain a lot of resolution
??? Details, as opposed to resolution? You lost me.

Kesi

??? Details, as opposed to resolution? You lost me.

Element X is a very detailed and has excellent clarity IMO, adding pro ican to the element x (as an HP amplifier) reduced those details and clarity. Not too much but just a small amount specifically on the highs, the treble extension was reduced because of the fact that the pro ican is a warm sounding headphone amplifier especially on tube mode. But as I’ve mentioned on the previous post, when I use the element x + pro ican I gain a lot of punch, body and resolution,.. more heavy and thicker sounding compared to just the element x alone. To my ears, the element x sounds thin (lacks bass) with a lot of details. There are times that I just want to listen and relax without all the details and clarity thrown into my face that’s why I added the pro ican to the chain.

a.dent

Can anyone tell me if my Element X is using the MQA filters when playing FLAC stream or files?
There have been several posts on various forums saying this is the case with any DAC that incorporates MQA.

Top Bottom