• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of Matrix Audio Element X DAC/Streamer/Amp

raykkho

Forum Donor
I used Roon with my X mostly, but I've tested streaming Tidal using MA app this evening for more than half hour going back and forth, no crashes. Version 2.2.3, Android.

Aibek

Albums on microSD card, Matrix Element X, firmfare B61601, Android 9.0, MA Remote 2.2.3
The main problem is that it does not play the whole album, but plays the track and stops. MA Remote crashes when trying to play the next track.

Last edited:

raykkho

Forum Donor
Albums on microSD card, Matrix Element X, firmfare B61601, Android 9.0, MA Remote 2.2.3
The main problem is that it does not play the whole album, but plays the track and stops. MA Remote crashes when trying to play the next track.

MA needs to get involved on this, I don't use memory cards so I cannot test here.

somy

Still no official statement from MA regarding the wrong wireless card installed in Element X/M? Do they really think changing the spec on their website will make them walk out from this issue?

RHG55

I was contemplating getting the new matrix mini I 3 pro or a used Matrix Element X. However, your comments about buggy software and mediocre support are damping my enthusiasm for this brand. Perhaps I should wait instead for the Árcam ST60, which seems to have better functionality although it lacks a direct USB input and that may be a serious demerit.

Last edited:

raykkho

Forum Donor
I have had the X for about 6 months, on the contrary I am very pleased with it, in fact I am moving it into my main system before Xmas to replace my Mytek Brooklyn, along with the arrival of a new CD transport. May be I am just lucky, I am using Wifi now and everything streams without issue, no matter what the resolution is. The X is also a very nice headphone amplifier, which is what I am using it for now, once settled in the main system, it will have dual function, switchable using app, as the main DAC, also continues as HP amp.

Nothing against the Arcam but I suppose you pay also a premium on better known name brand product, although it seems like it is half the price as the X, could be a nice player.

Aibek

I have had the X for about 6 months, on the contrary I am very pleased with it, in fact I am moving it into my main system before Xmas to replace my Mytek Brooklyn, along with the arrival of a new CD transport. May be I am just lucky, I am using Wifi now and everything streams without issue, no matter what the resolution is. The X is also a very nice headphone amplifier, which is what I am using it for now, once settled in the main system, it will have dual function, switchable using app, as the main DAC, also continues as HP amp.

Nothing against the Arcam but I suppose you pay also a premium on better known name brand product, although it seems like it is half the price as the X, could be a nice player.

What version of MA Remote are you using?

raykkho

Forum Donor
What version of MA Remote are you using?
Latest one on Android - 2.2.5, X also on latest firmware. I have to admit the FW update and original setup process were a bit finicky, but once it is running, solid, as far as my experience is concerned.

One more thing, I use Roon exclusively, so perhaps I am not experiencing issues affecting others.

somy

I'd be very surprised to hear that you're happy with it as a streamer. I have no complaint using it as DAC/AMP, but as a streamer it is simply not good enough (especially when MA charges high premium). I can get a DAC/AMP combo with better measurements and half of the price.

Edit: I saw now you use it with Roon, obviously that circumvent all the issues within their software.

somy

I was contemplating getting the new matrix mini I 3 pro or a used Matrix Element X. However, your comments about buggy software and mediocre support are damping my enthusiasm for this brand. Perhaps I should wait instead for the Árcam ST60, which seems to have better functionality although it a direct USB input.
Stay away for now. Mini I 3 pro is not Roon certified yet, and there are many software issues with X. There is also a risk that you get X with 802.11N wireless card (see previous discussions).

chi2

Forum Donor
I asked MA here in the forum about some limitations/flaws in playing Tidal content and Cao Wei said that he would forward the issues to the developpers (https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...atrix-audio-element-x-issue.11027/post-438190). This was almost 4 months ago (06/23/2020). Continuous playback starting from any song in an album or playlist, that is automatically playing the next song in line, still isn't possible. When asking him about the state in the other thread a month ago he didn't answer.

Another two months without Matrix Audio addressing the problems with MA Remote reported by many owners of the Element X. If you are looking for a streaming solution I recommend to stay away from MA.

Vladimir_Kl

What makes me sad is that software development seems to be a weak point for most audio manufacturers. Arcam mentioned earlier sells their devices without certified Roon support. NAD has same issue for NAD M33, and BluOS also known to be quite buggy. Matrix has relatively solid Roon support, but volume control for Element X is still buggy - even from IR remote. Is there any example of audio streamer with rock solid software?

Glasvegas

Forum Donor
What makes me sad is that software development seems to be a weak point for most audio manufacturers. Arcam mentioned earlier sells their devices without certified Roon support. NAD has same issue for NAD M33, and BluOS also known to be quite buggy. Matrix has relatively solid Roon support, but volume control for Element X is still buggy - even from IR remote. Is there any example of audio streamer with rock solid software?

Chromecast Audio

somy

Based on my limited experience with BluOS I think it is a more matured solution.
Just highlight some issues with MA player, which makes it almost useless for me, some of the issues were reported by several users over the past few months without any response:
1) Only show 10 popular tracks under artist (Tidal)
2) Wrong order of trace under albums/artist
3) No cover art for local music which is properly tagged with cover art (and folder.jpg)
4) No way to play from middle of an album/playlist/artist - I need to add the tracks to play queue one by one
5) Incomplete track titles
6) Random disconnects (both my phone and the device)
7) WiFi doesn't really work (maybe due to wrong wireless card installed), it drops out even noun and then. My PC at the same location can stream 4K video without any glitch.

raykkho

Forum Donor
I'd be very surprised to hear that you're happy with it as a streamer. I have no complaint using it as DAC/AMP, but as a streamer it is simply not good enough (especially when MA charges high premium). I can get a DAC/AMP combo with better measurements and half of the price.

Edit: I saw now you use it with Roon, obviously that circumvent all the issues within their software.

That's possibly the case, I've made it clear that my experience is limited to the X mated with Roon, so other streaming issues perhaps I've avoided luckily.

Playskool

Hi,

I would like to ask the Element X owners if they have compared the sound using a preamp completely bypassing the DAC built-in volume control?

I am asking because I found out that on my unit the sound is incredibly better using an external preamplifier... And I was curious if this is a problem with my unit or if it is something common to all the Element X?

D

Deleted member 20875

Hi,

I would like to ask the Element X owners if they have compared the sound using a preamp completely bypassing the DAC built-in volume control?

I am asking because I found out that on my unit the sound is incredibly better using an external preamplifier... And I was curious if this is a problem with my unit or if it is something common to all the Element X?

Would not describe it as problem, just what it is. Connecting it directly to FirstWatt F5T would give me headache after 10 minutes of listen and I assume any other amp as well. Connecting it to Pass Labs pre and then to the same power amp is the game changer; while being very detailed it is also quite musical.

Top Bottom