• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of Matrix Audio Element X DAC/Streamer/Amp

somy

Any update from MA regarding the wrong wireless card?

raykkho

Forum Donor
I'm happy to share with you that with the help of MA Audio I've been able to upgrade my X firmware to the latest version using iOS, not Android, which is my preferred OS. Anyway suggest those who are still having issue to contact MA support direct.

Aibek

Matrix Element X (MA Remote 2.2.3, firmfare B61601), files on the memory card. Plays a track and stops, that is, does not play all tracks on the album. What is the problem?

chi2

Forum Donor
This issue, among others, has been brought to the attention of MA already five months ago. They used to be responsive but no longer are. While the hardware side of MA products is top shelf, the software development definitely is not, and, sadly, customer support isn't either.

Aibek

I may be wrong, but I think the problems started with version 2.1.5

chi2

Forum Donor
Continous playback when directly starting from a song (on an album or in a playlist) has never worked with the MA Remote app.

Last edited:

Aibek

It doesn't work for me - it plays one song at a time. Maybe I'm doing something wrong?

chi2

Forum Donor
It's a known bug/severe lack of functionality that should have been addressed by MA long time ago. You can't do anything about it other than to complain with MA's support.

chi2

Forum Donor
I'm streaming Tidal content with the Tidal app on an iPhone, iPad, Android phone and Android tablet with usb connection to the element x. This way there are no limitations to the bandwidth. When I need wireless I'm casting to a Google Chromecast Audio whose optical out is connected to the element x. This gives excellent quality but no support for high res content (above 16 bit 44.1 kHz).

Vladimir_Kl

Given my experience with various streamers, vendor specific player software is always limited and buggy - I think because audio manufacturers usually cannot invest into proper software development team. Solution is simple - use Roon. Element X is good enough Roon endpoint, I discovered only single issue - slightly lagging device volume control.

Casey Leedom

Yeah, I’ve experienced the sticky volume control issue as well — though, so far only when I first start up ...

I was thinking more along the lines of the rather weak responses to to issues like getting their remote IR codes into the Logitech Harmony database, and other specific feature requests (discrete Power On and Power Off IR Commands, etc,)

Casey

Vladimir_Kl

I agree that their support could do better - I reported Roon volume control issue, but MA answered that they cannot reproduce it. Trying with Roon support - at least they turned on diagnostics, gathered logs, and promised to answer...

Glasvegas

Forum Donor
Given my experience with various streamers, vendor specific player software is always limited and buggy - I think because audio manufacturers usually cannot invest into proper software development team. Solution is simple - use Roon. Element X is good enough Roon endpoint, I discovered only single issue - slightly lagging device volume control.

I‘ve been following this thread with some interest. I think your statement sums up our attitude to vendor software - we seem to expect it to be limited and buggy. On a $2,999 device?

We should expect a lot better than that, even on a much cheaper device.

And the solution is simple. Just buy a $699 Roon subscription and additional server cost.

Last edited:

Vladimir_Kl

@Glasvegas I totally agree that this is not good situation, but nothing compared to Roon exists - yes, it's is not cheap (and not ideal also). My experience with vendors includes expensive Bryston BDP-2 - they had only single engineer working on firmware and it was full of bugs. Support was responsive, but fixing bugs very often created new.

Glasvegas

Forum Donor
@Glasvegas I totally agree that this is not good situation, but nothing compared to Roon exists - yes, it's is not cheap (and not ideal also). My experience with vendors includes expensive Bryston BDP-2 - they had only single engineer working on firmware and it was full of bugs. Support was responsive, but fixing bugs very often created new.

I can only comment on Tidal streaming, but I tried Roon and found it doesn’t integrate very well with Tidal. I think the best option for vendors like Matrix is to implement Tidal Connect. Problem solved.

I noticed in an earlier post by chi2 that he just plugs in his phone or uses a CCA to stream Tidal through his Element X. So a $30 dongle can do what is beyond Matrix.

raykkho

Forum Donor
I have been using Tidal/Roon/element X for the past 4 months or so, while it may not be perfect, I didn't notice any issue on Tidal integration with Roon to affect my listening pleasure or habit, perhaps it is a personal preference thing? Also I have tried on a few occasions using MA app to stream Tidal direct to element X, I didn't spend a lot of time on it to be honest, but it didn't occur to me there's any usage issue, may be I am just lucky?

Again I use my X exclusively as a Roon Endpoint for headphone, while also using Roon with another DAC for my speakers, I can simultaneously play different streams of music to different DAC, without any issues I can detect.

We might also note that, although this is not a very good reason, MA is focusing on getting their Mini-i 3 on Roon certification and Tidal Connect, perhaps their manpower is gearing toward that side at the moment? Again not a very good reason but a few of us have pointed out they probably have a very small team.

Last edited:

Aibek

MA Remote 2.2.3 crashes when trying to play the next track. Which version of MA Remote is the most working?

Top Bottom