• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of Matrix Audio Element X DAC/Streamer/Amp

skipost-it

oOaoLlp.jpg

tensor9

Forum Donor
That's fine, but the general thrust of the question was: you are REQUIRED to have an Android device to connect the Element to your network, REALLY? There is no way to do it with another computer on the same network? I find this quite odd and poorly planned.

And this coming from someone who is close to buying the device. Honestly this and all of the reported bugs gives me pause.

Jpkinsella

Mine will be here on Tuesday the 22 so I will have exact details on how it goes I also have an iPhone and a Ipad. I think I will set it up with my PC then use the IPhone and IPad with Roon software to control it I am already a Roon user. I have been in contact with Matrix the IOS app will be out in November.. for the non Roon users and the element X is at Roon labs going through the certification process. I do have a backup plan the wife has a Amazon Fire tablet that I can use until the IOS stuff is released. Buy the way Olson’s hifi in Wa is selling this product a very good Guy and shop...

tensor9

Forum Donor
Thanks. I guess the question is CAN you setup the network config of the Matrix with a PC? I don't see it anywhere in the instructions on how to do that. That would be just fine for me, as I'll use the iPhone Rune app as well.

I suppose for the time being, I could use my sMS-200 Neo.

tensor9

Forum Donor
I'm curious about the SINAD at -1dBV (3.98V vs 4.5V @0dB). The way the Element X's volume control works, this first -1dB of attenuation should have been digitally controlled, so how did the SINAD go up?

Jpkinsella

Well so far the Matrix X has been outstanding the hook up went simple for me plugged in the power, Cat5, and balance interconnects. Roon found it as a endpoint off and running.. Right out of the box sounded better than my Bryston setup.. It has been running four for days know and has not missed a beat.. Very Impressed.. As far as setting up WiFi was going to give that a shot as soon as I can but not needed for my setup.. I did download their app on the wife’s old Amazon fire tablet and it worked pretty slick it found the device opened right up logged into tidal seemed to work really well for the little time I played with it you can change all the settings right from the app like you can with the menu buttons on the front.. So far very happy more playing tomorrow!

tensor9

Forum Donor
I decided to get the Element X. I received it today, and setup was easy!

My sMS-200 Neo (network streamer) detects it just fine. Roon doesn’t have the Element X DAC as a listed device (so I suppose it my not be fully “optimized”), but it does read the hardware ID. Anyway, when choosing that I have an MQA decoder and renderer, Master quality tracks play at full MQA res, so that’s nice! I’m not particularly interested in MQA, but since I have Tidal... I would rather normal hi-res flac from Qobuz, but the library is just too limited.

When the iOS app is released, I’ll set it up on my WiFi and try its streaming functionality.
loving it so far!

Bliman

I decided to get the Element X. I received it today, and setup was easy!

My sMS-200 Neo (network streamer) detects it just fine. Roon doesn’t have the Element X DAC as a listed device (so I suppose it my not be fully “optimized”), but it does read the hardware ID. Anyway, when choosing that I have an MQA decoder and renderer, Master quality tracks play at full MQA res, so that’s nice! I’m not particularly interested in MQA, but since I have Tidal... I would rather normal hi-res flac from Qobuz, but the library is just too limited.

When the iOS app is released, I’ll set it up on my WiFi and try its streaming functionality.
loving it so far!
Congratulations.

MRC01

Major Contributor
I'm curious about the SINAD at -1dBV (3.98V vs 4.5V @0dB). The way the Element X's volume control works, this first -1dB of attenuation should have been digitally controlled, so how did the SINAD go up?
Did it go up? I think it went down, unless I missed something. Amir measured the 50 mV SINAD at 81 dB versus 120 dB at full scale (4 V). The difference is 39 dB, and 50 mV is about 38 dB quieter than full scale output at 4 V. So the SINAD dropped with volume almost 1:1.
More detailed discussion of this back on page 14.

tensor9

Forum Donor
Did it go up? I think it went down, unless I missed something. Amir measured the 50 mV SINAD at 81 dB versus 120 dB at full scale (4 V). The difference is 39 dB, and 50 mV is about 38 dB quieter than full scale output at 4 V. So the SINAD dropped with volume almost 1:1.
More detailed discussion of this back on page 14.
The SINAD went up (got better) at -1dB

MRC01

Major Contributor
So if you turn it 39 dB quieter, SINAD gets 39 dB worse. But if you turn it down 1 dB quieter, SINAD gets better?
Maybe there's some kind of step function happening, like a mix of digital & analog attenuation.

tensor9

Forum Donor
iOS app released and... it doesn't work. Well, the app works, but I cannot get my Matrix on my network. First a broken remote, now this...

Jpkinsella

Hmm weird just downloaded the app works great no issues besides Tidal option is not available yet

tensor9

Forum Donor
Dunno, something just wasn't making a good connection so the buttons wouldn't work. Got a replacement.
Figured out everything with the networking! (You have to update the firmware before the iOS app will work, which means you have to connect it via ethernet first. Easy mode though. Matrix has great support, I can attest to that.

Top Bottom