• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of Matrix Audio Element X DAC/Streamer/Amp

somebodyelse

Major Contributor
Your suggestion regarding SMBv1 did the trick so that's solved. Thanks for the heads up. I tried to modify ntlm through the registry and group policy manager, but this is home edition and not windows 10 pro.
I hope you read Microsoft's Stop Using SMB1! link in the references to the first article before deciding to enable it. They deprecated it 5 years ago because it has fundamental, unfixable security issues that have been actively attacked.

EuropeanSwallow

Forum Donor
I hope you read Microsoft's Stop Using SMB1! link in the references to the first article before deciding to enable it. They deprecated it 5 years ago because it has fundamental, unfixable security issues that have been actively attacked.
I've made contact with Matrix and explained all this to them and I agree with you completely. I realize it's gaping security risk, but I am glad to at least know how to resolve the issue now on Windows 10 machine with a clean install vs an upgraded version of Windows 10 installed where both SMBv1.0 and 2.0 coexist still for legacy support I assume.

somebodyelse

Major Contributor
I've made contact with Matrix and explained all this to them and I agree with you completely. I realize it's gaping security risk, but I am glad to at least know how to resolve the issue now on Windows 10 machine with a clean install vs an upgraded version of Windows 10 installed where both SMBv1.0 and 2.0 coexist still for legacy support I assume.
I'm glad to hear it was an informed decision. Please let us know how Matrix respond - it'll give some indication of whether they can be trusted to manage a network port.

EuropeanSwallow

Forum Donor
I'm glad to hear it was an informed decision. Please let us know how Matrix respond - it'll give some indication of whether they can be trusted to manage a network port.

Will do. Thanks for bringing this important point up. The person who responded from Matrix seemed eager to assist with resolving all of my issues, but because of the 12hr time difference it may take longer to get a response as it's 10pm there now.

I think their ticketing system isn't working because I submitted the original request via their website last Wednesday and got no confirmation feedback they received it. I then used their MA Player App to submit another support request a couple of days later. Hopefully the member here representing Matrix will respond in this thread to these issues as he has posted before in this thread.

EuropeanSwallow

Forum Donor
Update: Roon is aware the MQA issues and replicated them in their testing of the DAC. So it would seem I'll just be waiting for a firmware update to resolve these minor issues in the future. Hopefully my work arounds will help anyone using Roon with the Element X until that time. Otherwise, I'm really happy camper with this piece. I highly recommend it.

EuropeanSwallow

Forum Donor
I am in communication with Matrix through a Facebook post which has been very responsive towards the minor issues with the Element X. The latest firmware added SMBv2.0 window share support and support for Tidal natively. They are doing a great job being responsive and getting the bugs worked out and the features added. Good job Matrix!

EDMLover

I am in communication with Matrix through a Facebook post which has been very responsive towards the minor issues with the Element X. The latest firmware added SMBv2.0 window share support and support for Tidal natively. They are doing a great job being responsive and getting the bugs worked out and the features added. Good job Matrix!
I was communicating with them via email and was given fresher version of FW to try and solve the sync issues. It did get better but on completely solved yet.

Do you know when the new firmware will be available, interested in SMB update and Tidal.

EDIT: Just got the new version of the app and it updated it to a new firmware. Tried Tidal, but streaming does not seem to work in my case, stuck on a first second of the track and loops there indefinitely. Maybe my combination of the OS and firmware on the Element X that is not playing well. Let me know if you are able to stream anything from Tidal.

Last edited:

sonycman

Tried Tidal, but streaming does not seem to work in my case, stuck on a first second of the track and loops there indefinitely. Maybe my combination of the OS and firmware on the Element X that is not playing well. Let me know if you are able to stream anything from Tidal.
Hello!
Another owner here :)

Had updated the app and the firmware today as well, and it seems that Tidal works just fine for me.
Strange the Element is not automatically switched to MA Player mode (it was in USB DAC mode before I start streaming Tidal), and displays wrong sample frequency of currently playing track, but eventually it switches to player mode and all end up fine.

Sorry for bad english :(

Last edited:

EuropeanSwallow

Forum Donor
I was communicating with them via email and was given fresher version of FW to try and solve the sync issues. It did get better but on completely solved yet.

Do you know when the new firmware will be available, interested in SMB update and Tidal.

EDIT: Just got the new version of the app and it updated it to a new firmware. Tried Tidal, but streaming does not seem to work in my case, stuck on a first second of the track and loops there indefinitely. Maybe my combination of the OS and firmware on the Element X that is not playing well. Let me know if you are able to stream anything from Tidal.

I am able to stream from Tidal and even MASTER MQA tracks, which displays as 352hz, but the MQA indicator didn't come on for whatever reason. I didn't try it for long this way as I use Roon for Tidal normally, but I played a few tracks.

sonycman

I am able to stream from Tidal and even MASTER MQA tracks, which displays as 352hz, but the MQA indicator didn't come on for whatever reason. I didn't try it for long this way as I use Roon for Tidal normally, but I played a few tracks.
You need to switch to MA player mode for the app to correctly display MQA track info, as I posted before.

Victoria

The element P is interesting as well. I know its a different product, with a built in amp, but I'd love to know if the streamer section is the same as the M.

Also, your site rates it as 110 watts into 8Ω with 1% THD. Do you have the wattage rating at .1% THD?

Now this is interesting!

I just stumbled upon the Element P and I’m intrigued. It’s a much larger unit than what I was hoping to acquire BUT if it’s effectively an integrated amplifier with both a USB DAC *and* amplification then I might be willing to sacrifice space for it!

According to Matrix Audio amplification for the Element P comes from a single ICEpower 250ASX2 module.

Datasheet here: https://icepower.dk/download/1649/

You can find your THD+N vs Power graphs there. Doesn’t look too brilliant to be honest (I do prefer much more than 100W 4Ω @ <0.1% THD) so I’m going to have to think about this a little more. But the overall package does look really awesome! Has anyone got any experience with the Element P? It seems to be a much more niche product than the Element X and Element M. I wonder how the DAC segment compares!

Edit: Oops! I Was looking at the wrong datasheet (haha sorry too many tabs open on an iPad gets confusing) when I typed this post. We do actually get >200W 4Ω @ <0.1% THD from the 250ASX2! I might have to buy this now.

Last edited:

EDMLover

Edit: Oops! I Was looking at the wrong datasheet (haha sorry too many tabs open on an iPad gets confusing) when I typed this post. We do actually get >200W 4Ω @ <0.1% THD from the 250ASX2! I might have to buy this now.
I thought about that unit too, but so note that it uses ESS9028 not ESS9038. And, frankly, I prefer external amp (using Emotiva for now) so I can swap easily in the future. But again, if space is of the concern, it is an awesome unit to be had.

Victoria

I thought about that unit too, but so note that it uses ESS9028 not ESS9038. And, frankly, I prefer external amp (using Emotiva for now) so I can swap easily in the future. But again, if space is of the concern, it is an awesome unit to be had.

Yep! Noticed that it's on the ESS9028 instead, though I honestly doubt that the difference will bother me too much and I have no reason to believe that the implementation of the DAC in its entirety will be anything short of excellent. I'm also fine with the entire solution being all-in-one, since I'm not the type to frequently upgrade my audio equipment. I really do like to get my money's worth, and my last system (with a PCM1792 in its DAC and two ICEpower 125ASX2 modules for amplification) almost lasted me a decade!

@MatrixAudio I'd like to ask a quick question if you don't mind :D

Will I be fine with placing a load of approximately 7KG on top of this DAC? I intend on purchasing this DAC for my PC and I would likely want to sit my monitor on top of it in order to reduce the amount of space that it'll occupy on my desk.

The Element P definitely looks like it's built like a tank, but I'd just like to seek for an opinion from you on this matter for peace of mind.

Thank you!

tensor9

Forum Donor
Could you measure the preamp functionality of the Matrix Element X? Matrix calls their attenuation Hyper-Control. Anyway to test it out?

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Could you measure the preamp functionality of the Matrix Element X? Matrix calls their attenuation Hyper-Control. Anyway to test it out?
The unit is boxed up so I can't access it right and my workload has gone through the roof. I think I adjusted the level using it, or changing the input level and both achieved the same thing.

EuropeanSwallow

Forum Donor

I can only subjectively tell you that their hybrid digital/analog attenuation works very well in practice and the preamp section has a very detailed, balanced, and smooth sound in my system with no harshness anywhere whatsoever.

Last edited:

MatrixAudio

Audio Company
Will I be fine with placing a load of approximately 7KG on top of this DAC? I intend on purchasing this DAC for my PC and I would likely want to sit my monitor on top of it in order to reduce the amount of space that it'll occupy on my desk.
Please trust Matrix' solid chassis. :cool:

tensor9

Forum Donor
Ok, so it turns out Matrix Element X's volume control is a relay/digital attenuation combo. Every 20 dB, a relay clicks in to enable analog attenuation (simply a resistor?), So between 0 and 19.5 dB of attenuation, the attenuation is digital, at 20 dB of attenuation, the relay clicks in and gives you 20 dB of analog attenuation and no digital. At 20.5 dB of attenuation, you have 20 dB of analog and 0.5 db of digital attenuation, etc.

I'm not sure if I like this. How does the SNR and harmonics levels vary as you change the volume?

I'm trying to decide between this and a Benchmark DAC3 L, and trying to compare their volume controls. I could go nuclear and get a Benchmark Line Preamp, but I wan't to avoid that for now.

Top Bottom