• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required as is 20 years of participation in forums (not all true). Come here to have fun, be ready to be teased and not take online life too seriously. We now measure and review equipment for free! Click here for details.

Review and Measurements of Matrix Audio Element X DAC/Streamer/Amp

Is the sound better?
I lose a very small amount of micro details when the Pro iCan is connected to the balanced out of element X, but I gain a lot of resolution and punch with the option to tweak the bass and 3D. Both have pros and cons, I use the element x built in amp when listening to classical, instrumental, orchestra, acoustic and some jazz. The pro iCan for rock, alternative, heavy metal,..

??? Details, as opposed to resolution? You lost me.
Element X is a very detailed and has excellent clarity IMO, adding pro ican to the element x (as an HP amplifier) reduced those details and clarity. Not too much but just a small amount specifically on the highs, the treble extension was reduced because of the fact that the pro ican is a warm sounding headphone amplifier especially on tube mode. But as I’ve mentioned on the previous post, when I use the element x + pro ican I gain a lot of punch, body and resolution,.. more heavy and thicker sounding compared to just the element x alone. To my ears, the element x sounds thin (lacks bass) with a lot of details. There are times that I just want to listen and relax without all the details and clarity thrown into my face that’s why I added the pro ican to the chain.

a.dent

Can anyone tell me if my Element X is using the MQA filters when playing FLAC stream or files?
There have been several posts on various forums saying this is the case with any DAC that incorporates MQA.

raykkho

Forum Donor
Can anyone tell me if my Element X is using the MQA filters when playing FLAC stream or files?
There have been several posts on various forums saying this is the case with any DAC that incorporates MQA.
I only know of Mytek Brooklyn having this issue, quite well documented.

Top Bottom