• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of Matrix Audio Element X DAC/Streamer/Amp

Jimster480

Major Contributor
OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Are you sure you weren't just measuring your Audio Precision?
Hehe. :) The thought occurred to me. For noise level, we are certainly at that limit. On distortion, we still have good bit of headroom. Here is the APx555 measuring itself:
APx555 Without AUX-0040.png

Distortion spikes are buried below 150 dB! APx555's total SINAD though is only 1 to 2 dB better than Element X so clearly that is dominated by noise.

There is a Rev B of my analyzer now that does 2 dB better. Cost to upgrade: $6,000! :eek:

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
Hehe. :) The thought occurred to me. For noise level, we are certainly at that limit. On distortion, we still have good bit of headroom. Here is the APx555 measuring itself:
View attachment 27548

Distortion spikes are buried below 150 dB! APx555's total SINAD though is only 1 to 2 dB better than Element X so clearly that is dominated by noise.

There is a Rev B of my analyzer now that does 2 dB better. Cost to upgrade: $6,000! :eek:
How about the two test tones I posted? thanks
:(
which are 30hz 1khz 4:1 two tones and
Pink spectrum no interharmonic distortion multitone.

Last edited:
OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
How about the two test tones I posted? thanks
:(
Just finished cooking some nice steaks and eating them! Will go to testing later tonight....

Jimster480

Major Contributor
View attachment 27548

it is quite amazing though how this DAC isn't "so far" off of the analyzers performance! Especially considering that your analyzer is ~$28k?
Obviously most of that price comes from the incredible ADC's for measurement... but still! The performance of this DAC is pretty close to the bottom of your graphs here (which I assume is the limit of measurement?).

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
That's correct. With respect to noise, we are basically at the limit. With respect to distortion though, we can go another 20 dB. Distortion is more audible/problematic so it is god that we can keep going.

maxxevv

Major Contributor
Very impressive, especially when all the functionality, connectivity are included ! Price may be a little out of reach to many but if one were to buy separate SOTA performing sub-functioning units that's close to this, it wouldn't be significantly cheaper, if at all. Not to mention the hassle of connecting many units together and the space it would take up.

As things are, without considering room DSP, one could get one of these with a solid performing/ well rated powered speakers or connect with a Benchmark AHB2 to a speaker of one's choice and be completely done with the audio setup.

No double guessing needed ! Fantastic stuff !

Jimster480

Major Contributor
That's correct. With respect to noise, we are basically at the limit. With respect to distortion though, we can go another 20 dB. Distortion is more audible/problematic so it is god that we can keep going.
At the rate we have been going in the past 2 years.... I wouldn't be surprised if alot of that 20db is made up in the next 2 years.

The amount of competition from performance-focused manufacturers is incredible to say the least.

maxxevv

Major Contributor
At the rate we have been going in the past 2 years.... I wouldn't be surprised if alot of that 20db is made up in the next 2 years.

The amount of competition from performance-focused manufacturers is incredible to say the least.

Well, at least we are seeing a handful of good manufacturers pushing the performance envelope of things. I hope the positive exposure from these measurements will bring purchase decisions in their direction and weed out the snake-oil peddlers in the longer term.

Or at the very least pressure others to work towards technical excellence too.

SoundsGood2Me

Forum Donor
My pleasure. I did some RF work when growing up with electronics and repaired RF gear while going to college.

I am always stunned when I see the dbm numbers on cell phones and data rates we are able to push through them. "Small" signal does not do justice to it!

PS - Amirm, I reread your review, and wanted to mention I'm diggin' the tests you have invented, especially the 32 tone IM sweep. That's true intermod, pushing the system to the limit. And I really appreciate that you try to replicate every test, most of the time. John Atkinson would be proud! Let's hope the Matrix isn't the limit?

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
In fact, I introduced ASR Froum to Matrix Audio(marketing) and suggested mailing Element to you;)
Ah, thank you very much. :)

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)

YMY

I have not. Do you want to purchase it and drop ship it to me for testing?
Do you want me to mail the motherboard or the finished machine?
I live in Shanghai and have no experience in international mailing.:eek:o_O

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)

Nango

Major Contributor
That's correct. The two in single-ended mode seems to have different drive as one had a tad better performance. Makes sense that they would use each half of the balanced drive that way.

My amp HD53N also uses that kind of combo plugs. One has 10Ω and the other 120Ω, old school gear .........

Top Bottom