• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required as is 20 years of participation in forums (not all true). Come here to have fun, be ready to be teased and not take online life too seriously. We now measure and review equipment for free! Click here for details.

Review and Measurements of Matrix Audio Element X DAC/Streamer/Amp

raykkho

Forum Donor
Agree two things that the good folks at MA should consider and can be done very easily:

1) add a voltage warning label on TOP of the unit - I got into trouble on this and blown my fuse but MA was very good and mail out replacement fuses to me right away, but really something that can be very easily avoided

2) add a CR2032 battery to the remote

somy

Hi @MatrixAudio,
I'm deciding between Element X and Element M, mainly used as streamer/DAC for speaker setup (XLR connect to stereo integrated amplifier). Can you help to outline the main differences between X and M except for the chipset (9038pro/9028pro)?
I use Logitech Harmony to control all IR based devices but couldn't find your device listed there. Is element X/M compatible with Logitech Harmony Hub?
And one more question: is it better to use volume control of element X/M or my stereo amplifier? And if I use volume control of my amplifier can I use element X/M as DAC with fixed line-out?
Thank you in advance!

Last edited:

raykkho

Forum Donor
Hi @MatrixAudio,
I'm deciding between Element X and Element M, mainly used as streamer/DAC for speaker setup (XLR connect to stereo integrated amplifier). Can you help to outline the main differences between X and M except for the chipset (9038pro/9028pro)?
I use Logitech Harmony to control all IR based devices but couldn't find your device listed there. Is element X/M compatible with Logitech Harmony Hub?
And one more question: is it better to use volume control of element X/M or my stereo amplifier? And if I use volume control of my amplifier can I use element X/M as DAC with fixed line-out?
Thank you in advance!
Not sure if you have seen this, if not it might help.
https://scontent.fhkg10-1.fna.fbcdn...=500f538021959182eff0150543828d2b&oe=5F7DBAFA
To me the cost is a main factor, but as I need balanced headphone amp, my choice is clear. It's no chump change, but I'm very happy with the X, it's just solid, works out of the box, and stay out of the way and just make music for me.

raykkho

Forum Donor
Hi @MatrixAudio,
Thank you in advance!
As for Logitech please see my post #457

As to whether you can use volume control of your amplifier and use element X/M as DAC with fixed line-out, of course you can, it's a DAC too.

somy

Not sure if you have seen this, if not it might help.
https://scontent.fhkg10-1.fna.fbcdn...=500f538021959182eff0150543828d2b&oe=5F7DBAFA
To me the cost is a main factor, but as I need balanced headphone amp, my choice is clear. It's no chump change, but I'm very happy with the X, it's just solid, works out of the box, and stay out of the way and just make music for me.
Thanks, as I read the clock, power supply and volume control are different in M. Not sure if they have big impact to sound, but reading from review of element i it looks like a decent box and I assume M is a step up from I.
Does M only provide unbalanced headphone output? I thought headphone amp part in X, M and I are the same

raykkho

Forum Donor
Thanks, as I read the clock, power supply and volume control are different in M. Not sure if they have big impact to sound, but reading from review of element i it looks like a decent box and I assume M is a step up from I.
Does M only provide unbalanced headphone output? I thought headphone amp part in X, M and I are the same
Only the X has balanced head amp.

MatrixAudio

Manufacturer
Hi @MatrixAudio,
Thank you in advance!
Sorry for my delay.
Yes the table of model compare is very detailed. hope that helps.
Yes you can set the output mode of element X/M to Fixed, and then control volume by your integrated amp.
Not sure if it works with Harmoney Hub. Sorry.

somy

Sorry for my delay.
Yes the table of model compare is very detailed. hope that helps.
Yes you can set the output mode of element X/M to Fixed, and then control volume by your integrated amp.
Not sure if it works with Harmoney Hub. Sorry.
Thanks ordered element M will receive tomorrow :)

Bombadil

Forum Donor
Hi @MatrixAudio,
Thank you in advance!
I use the Harmony remote and it works with my Element i, so I'm sure it would work with the other models. The Matrix components are not listed in the Harmony database so you have to "train" your remote using the Matrix remote. Went smoothly for me :)

somy

I use the Harmony remote and it works with my Element i, so I'm sure it would work with the other models. The Matrix components are not listed in the Harmony database so you have to "train" your remote using the Matrix remote. Went smoothly for me :)
Thanks but it’s a nontrivial to make custom device work with harmony hub. I had many issues with custom device which doesn’t power on/off correctly in an activity :-(

TGB

Good news from Matrix Audio.

"In the new version, we have added dimmer option for customer which are 5s/30s/120s/off."

Estimated by end of month.

raykkho

Forum Donor
Good news from Matrix Audio.

"In the new version, we have added dimmer option for customer which are 5s/30s/120s/off."

Estimated by end of month.
Good news, wonder if there's anything else in the new FW.

TGB

Reason for this month delay was that the app also had to be updated. Currently it is in internal testing, so let's hope we will get this version within the end of September *crossing fingers*

Top Bottom