• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of Massdrop x Grace Design SDAC

kertesyflush

Got one off the most recent drop. So far so good.

If anyone is interested in some photos of the SDAC internals, I took some. I couldn't find any online and I love this stuff.

IMG_2895.jpg

IMG_2897.jpg

IMG_2902.jpg

Few observations:

* The RCA terminals are hand soldered, as is the LED.
* Everything is SMD
* 75% of the PCB is bare, they could have made it super small. Reminds me of the THX AAA.
* Tons of testing points on the PCB for checking voltages and whatnot.
* The larger SMD capacitor is a decent quality Nichicon WD series.

maxxevv

Major Contributor
They could have have chopped it down to about the size of the Khadas Tone Board. from the looks of that layout.

kertesyflush

@maxxevv Yep, no doubt. The pictures make the PCB look bigger than it is too. Should have added a bananna for reference ;) But we're talking ~50mm x 50mm of components. The PCB is ~100mm x 100mm.

trl

Major Contributor
King of Mods
Only one dual opamp used as output buffer and perhaps LPF too, I guess measurements are influenced by the DAC chip and the PCB layout more than the single opamp used.

However, good measuring DAC at a low price, neat PCB with lot of ground plane.

I bought the Massdrop O2 + Grace SDAC integrated dac/amp. Does anyone know who manufactured the O2 section? If so, is there a review of that already? Or would it be cool to see if there's any artifacts in either of the sections of the combo now that they're combined?

PuX

I bought the Massdrop O2 + Grace SDAC integrated dac/amp. Does anyone know who manufactured the O2 section? If so, is there a review of that already? Or would it be cool to see if there's any artifacts in either of the sections of the combo now that they're combined?
some people complained about Massdrop's O2. supposedly they cut some corners by using a power supply that is not up to spec and might have used some Chinese components instead of the original list from nwavguy. also they made a batch with wrong gain.

the version with SDAC inside is just an O2 case with a SDAC board on top of the O2 board.
e0092508_5be02c13c93de.jpg

I'd get an SDAC + JDS Atom + RCA cable, the price difference should be about $30-40.

some people complained about Massdrop's O2. supposedly they cut some corners by using a power supply that is not up to spec and might have used some Chinese components instead of the original list from nwavguy. also they made a batch with wrong gain.

the version with SDAC inside is just an O2 case with a SDAC board on top of the O2 board.
I'd get an SDAC + JDS Atom + RCA cable, the price difference should be about $30-40.

That sounds like a good idea. I believe the gain issues were an old batch and those affected were given new equipment (mine was the most recent drop and doesn't seem to have any issues) but if the circuit is the same the improvement to the JDS Atom would be cool (albeit not integrated. The combo box is really convenient) because I don't know about the power supply being updated or the parts list being any better.

saknopper

Hi all! I'm new here, but having read in this thread about a possible $99 DAC comparison I would just like to let you know that I would very much appreciate that :) Having just bought a Topping D10 doesn't change that ;)

Actually, if you need a Topping D10 for the comparison because you don't own one anymore I'm willing to ship it to you.

Well, I will continue reading now. Thanks for all the helpful information!

phoenixsong

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Hi, I'm using an SDAC at the moment; happy with its price, but not fully impressed by the sound. After looking at the measurements, I think setting it at -10dB might help reduce distortion. However, I do not know how to view its output level in dB. Feeding it via a Windows 10 laptop, with the usual 0-100 volume level settings for both channels. Anyone knows how this equates to dB, or if any software will allow me to view it as such? All help appreciated :)

Veri

Master Contributor
Hi, I'm using an SDAC at the moment; happy with its price, but not fully impressed by the sound. After looking at the measurements, I think setting it at -10dB might help reduce distortion. However, I do not know how to view its output level in dB. Feeding it via a Windows 10 laptop, with the usual 0-100 volume level settings for both channels. Anyone knows how this equates to dB, or if any software will allow me to view it as such? All help appreciated :)
In device settings under 'Level' you can right click the slider and it will turn into dB! Neat trick.

phoenixsong

Addicted to Fun and Learning
In device settings under 'Level' you can right click the slider and it will turn into dB! Neat trick.
Oh my goodness, this is utterly cool! And simple too- to the extent that I feel like a fool for not knowing it sooner XD Thanks much!

Top Bottom