• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of Massdrop THX AAA 789 Amp

Paul_d

Hi

Brought this beast! Looks very solid, sound as well :)
Should I plug off it from power (green diode always on when plugged to socket) ?

dsnyder0cnn

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Hi

Brought this beast! Looks very solid, sound as well :)
Should I plug off it from power (green diode always on when plugged to socket) ?
Let me measure the power draw from the SMPS while the amp is off. It's probably very small, but I'll let you know what I see (for US 120V)

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I bought my THX AAA 789 back in September 2019 and it has been running 24/7 with no issues at all. Paid $400 for it.
Similar, but mine now makes some nasty noises if the phones are plugged in and I bounce the volume dial off the bottom (far anti clockwise). Not sure what that is but avoiding it is easy.

raistlin65

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
some idiot pouring water over his amp in the sink....

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
He just wanted to bring back a clean and fluid sound experience...
isn't that how one retrieves those "liquid mids"?

edahl

Did anyone see the dumpster fire of hate going on on reddit? It reminds me of why I don't go on there anymore.

https://www.reddit.com/r/headphones/comments/qahty8
It's trivial identity formation. People who think purchasing decisions are a personality cannot bear the thought that the entire basis of their identity can be reduced to a $200 amp available on drop. You see this sort of thing in any hobby with a strong gear acquisition element.

John B

A lucky fellow to remember to unplug the device. This type of person has a high likelihood to have modified his grounds to be “audiophile” ; )

phoenixdogfan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Quick question here. I have a THX AAA 789 and a pair of OG HD800s which came with unbalanced cable. I see a great deal more power is available through the balanced outputs than the unbalanced, and I'm wondering if I could tap into that by simply using a balanced to unbalanced cable adaptor or whether I would have to buy an actual 4 pin XLR balanced HD800 headphone cable which is obviously quite expensive. Sennheiser is selling its cable for $375 which is more expensive than this amp which as we know has been priced as low as $200.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Quick question here. I have a THX AAA 789 and a pair of OG HD800s which came with unbalanced cable. I see a great deal more power is available through the balanced outputs than the unbalanced, and I'm wondering if I could tap into that by simply using a balanced to unbalanced cable adaptor or whether I would have to buy an actual 4 pin XLR balanced HD800 headphone cable which is obviously quite expensive. Sennheiser is selling its cable for $375 which is more expensive than this amp which as we know has been priced as low as $200.
No- you cant plug an unbalanced cable into a balanced amp output with an adapter. You CAN plug a balanced cable into an unbalanced amp output with an adapter.

You can get aftermarket balanced HD800 cables all over ebay/ Ali etc for far far less- just make sure seller / product gets good reviews and lots of them.

Or just use the 1/4 inch output on the 789 which will more than power the HD800

EDIT- looks like you are getting solid answers on this on the HD800 thread.

Last edited:

Shoaibexpert

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Seems like after 3 years, one of my THX 789 capacitors is swelling up and needs replacement. Any idea what is the part number I can use to reorder them? I know it's Rubycon.

Also, the pot seemed to be quite scrathy and was making noises so I put in some WD40 only to find it shouldn't be used . Any idea if the pot can be fixed at all or cleaned?

Thanks

f78fk

Seems like after 3 years, one of my THX 789 capacitors is swelling up and needs replacement. Any idea what is the part number I can use to reorder them? I know it's Rubycon.

Also, the pot seemed to be quite scrathy and was making noises so I put in some WD40 only to find it shouldn't be used . Any idea if the pot can be fixed at all or cleaned?

Thanks
It should be this.
16PX3300MEFCG412.5X20

Top Bottom