• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of Massdrop THX AAA 789 Amp

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The click is a relay- normal as far as I know. Why would you think everyone's amp is broken because they click?

Azeendeen

The click is a relay- normal as far as I know. Why would you think everyone's amp is broken because they click?
Yeh it was a misunderstanding in the other thread. Later they clarified that they meant the click noise is normal as a relay.
My bad

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Ah. Good.

raistlin65

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm quite enjoying my 789. It addresses the main reason I decided to upgrade over my Atom amp: the THX 789 does not want to fishtail all over the place when plugging and unplugging headphones. I also like the volume knob better because it's longer (I have big fingers). And I'm enjoying not having to unplug my headphones to listen to my speakers or even having to turn the 789 on. The passthrough is a plus given I didn't need preamp capability.

Sonically, for $100, the Atom is the better choice since there is no audible difference. But I am happy with spending the extra money for the THX 789 from a user-friendliness perspective.

BTW: Using the Tempotec Sonata HD Pro as my DAC. Works great with the THX 789.

Veri

Master Contributor
The only things I disliked about the knob is the low weight, and eventual scratchiness at initial turn. Otherwise it's a fine amp indeed.

zepplock

The only things I disliked about the knob is the low weight, and eventual scratchiness at initial turn. Otherwise it's a fine amp indeed.

Mine is pretty light but not to the point of where I dislike it. I wish it was ~20% stiffer.
No scratchiness for me. Maybe yours need some deoxit.

Veri

Master Contributor
No scratchiness for me. Maybe yours need some deoxit.
Oh yeah good to bring that up, that fixes the issue right away, indeed :) My past amps did not develop this issue though. Maybe dust collects somewhere, I'm not sure of the cause.

zepplock

Oh yeah good to bring that up, that fixes the issue right away, indeed :) My past amps did not develop this issue though. Maybe dust collects somewhere, I'm not sure of the cause.

I spray deoxit everywhere, works on mechanical keyboards really well too!

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I spray deoxit everywhere, works on mechanical keyboards really well too!
Dumb question- is deoxit the same as contact cleaner?

Damian

I couldn't find the answer googling, but is there any sound quality difference between the gain I, II and III provided the volume output is normalized?

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I couldn't find the answer googling, but is there any sound quality difference between the gain I, II and III provided the volume output is normalized?
I haven't noticed-just more and more power as one switches from 1 to 2 then 3. I know when using equalization and watching streaming videos I need to go to gain 3 due to the equalization applied and the apparent lower volume coming from various sites while streaming concerts. I can't discern a difference between any of the gains - that's the short answer. One gain 3 with normal level input one simply can't turn it up high enough to hear distortion-it would be torture.

I'm quite enjoying my 789. It addresses the main reason I decided to upgrade over my Atom amp: the THX 789 does not want to fishtail all over the place when plugging and unplugging headphones. I also like the volume knob better because it's longer (I have big fingers). And I'm enjoying not having to unplug my headphones to listen to my speakers or even having to turn the 789 on. The passthrough is a plus given I didn't need preamp capability.

Sonically, for $100, the Atom is the better choice since there is no audible difference. But I am happy with spending the extra money for the THX 789 from a user-friendliness perspective.

BTW: Using the Tempotec Sonata HD Pro as my DAC. Works great with the THX 789.

The passthrough, gain switch and volume knob are big reasons I just ordered the 789 over the SP200. It's probably my end game amp.

raistlin65

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The passthrough, gain switch and volume knob are big reasons I just ordered the 789 over the SP200. It's probably my end game amp.

Yep. My first piece of audiophile electronics was an NAD 3130 Integrated Amplifier when it wasn't a vintage amp. lol

So while I can appreciate how well my Atom amp performs, I do like a little more solid piece of equipment if it's something I use a lot, with the exact features I want.

For a first amp, I think the Atom is a fabulous choice. How do people really know what they want in headphone electronics when you are first starting out?

But for someone for whom the price difference between the Atom and the THX 789 is not important to their disposable income? If they don't need a preamp out, the THX 789 is a great choice.

Yep. My first piece of audiophile electronics was an NAD 3130 Integrated Amplifier when it wasn't a vintage amp. lol

So while I can appreciate how well my Atom amp performs, I do like a little more solid piece of equipment if it's something I use a lot, with the exact features I want.

For a first amp, I think the Atom is a fabulous choice. How do people really know what they want in headphone electronics when you are first starting out?

But for someone for whom the price difference between the Atom and the THX 789 is not important to their disposable income? If they don't need a preamp out, the THX 789 is a great choice.

I find it hard to let go of a really good amp as it is always possible to fit them in with new gear. I still have my vintage NAD 7125 also. I love the rear mounted heat sink and small form factor still. Also I love my 11 year old THX Select 2 Onkyo 608 receiver that runs cooler than my Denon x3700 that I am pre-outing to it from. My E30 dac can act as a preamp with remote volume also for more flexibility. $300 for an amp as good as the 789 is a worthy investment IMO.

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I find it hard to let go of a really good amp as it is always possible to fit them in with new gear. I still have my vintage NAD 7125 also. I love the rear mounted heat sink and small form factor still. Also I love my 11 year old THX Select 2 Onkyo 608 receiver that runs cooler than my Denon x3700 that I am pre-outing to it from. My E30 dac can act as a preamp with remote volume also for more flexibility. $300 for an amp as good as the 789 is a worthy investment IMO.
Here's to NAD. I have 2 3140s and will never get rid of them.

Aperiodic

Forum Donor
I have an engineering question- is anything with DC-in power by definition a so-called 'virtual ground'? Asking because everything Schiit, JDS and the O2 are all AC-in but amps like this one have to create a negative rail. Is a 'virtual ground' how this is accomplished? Thanks.

trl

Major Contributor
King of Mods

Viper Necklampy

Someone can comfirm with measurements if crosstalk decreases in gain I to gain II particularly, is not only affected with SE output for headphones, but even balanced headphones output?

Top Bottom