• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of Massdrop THX AAA 789 Amp

catman

Forum Donor
Need help with improving my ignorance at reading Amir's measurements.

The reason I am asking is that I am considering getting the 789 to replace my Atom.

---- Reply----

The Atom and the 789 are completely different products. The former is outstanding for its price, which is lower than the 789. The latter is great too. I own and enjoy them both.

If it is the lack of physical heft in the Atom that you are concerned about, there is a simple fix -- a stand such as this.. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07TV2N62W/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I place both the Atom and the corresponding DAC therein, and find the unit to be as solid as a rock. If you want a solution for less than $ 200, this combo simply can't be beat. If you are willing to spend more, then of course, the world's your oyster.

raistlin65

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The Atom and the 789 are completely different products. The former is outstanding for its price, which is lower than the 789. The latter is great too. I own and enjoy them both.

If it is the lack of physical heft in the Atom that you are concerned about, there is a simple fix -- a stand such as this.. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07TV2N62W/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I place both the Atom and the corresponding DAC therein, and find the unit to be as solid as a rock. If you want a solution for less than $ 200, this combo simply can't be beat. If you are willing to spend more, then of course, the world's your oyster.

Appreciate the suggestion. But like I said, I miss having a more substantial sized amp like the Asgard 2 and NFB-11 that I used to have. It's a luxury I know, but I want something bigger :)

Anyway, since I'm in the THX 789 review thread, I thought you guys were supposed to talk me into it? :D

trl

Major Contributor
King of Mods
In chart #3 when he measures distortion vs. power at 300 ohms, resulting in 0.15 watts for unbalanced, what voltage is that at? In other words, I want to know if Amir's measurements for unbalanced headphone output in charts #3, 4, & 5 what I would experience with a 2V DAC.
6.7 V RMS @ 0.000207% THD+N, that would be an approx. 3.35X amplification of a regular unbalanced DAC that outputs 2 V RMS.

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Appreciate the suggestion. But like I said, I miss having a more substantial sized amp like the Asgard 2 and NFB-11 that I used to have. It's a luxury I know, but I want something bigger :)

Anyway, since I'm in the THX 789 review thread, I thought you guys were supposed to talk me into it? :D
Its reputation should sell you on it. One of the most revered HP amps around. Tons of clean power, 3 gain levels, balanced and RCA ins, very low distortion and it's fairly heavy. That enough?

raistlin65

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Its reputation should sell you on it. One of the most revered HP amps around. Tons of clean power, 3 gain levels, balanced and RCA ins, very low distortion and it's fairly heavy. That enough?

I was trying to get a good answer about what Amir's charts represent in single ended mode for a 2V DAC (see my previous post). Instead of buying merely on reputation. ;)

RickSanchez

Major Contributor
Cartographer
I was trying to get a good answer about what Amir's charts represent in single ended mode for a 2V DAC (see my previous post). Instead of buying merely on reputation. ;)

I think you should buy it, give it ~200 hours to burn in, and trust your ears because measurements don’t tell the whole story.

/sarcasm

raistlin65

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

trl

Major Contributor
King of Mods
I am unable to find the unbalanced input measurements; am I missing anything here?

This headamp is very good, I don't see reasons not to buy it at this price.

raistlin65

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I am unable to find the unbalanced input measurements; am I missing anything here?

Charts #3, 4, & 5. Chart 6 lets you know he's moved to also measuring balanced.

This headamp is very good, I don't see reasons not to buy it at this price.

Are those measurements at 2V DAC input, or higher? Then I will know how good the amp is ;)

Typically, I think Amir does tend to take single-ended headphone amp power measurements at 2V. Just trying to verify since the review does not explicitly state that.

trl

Major Contributor
King of Mods
They are balanced inputs for sure, but feel free to ask Amir is you think otherwise. Just the output is unbalanced 6.3 mm plug.

Although, I'm not sure we're on the same page here. :) I already answered the voltage for the 300 Ohms graph was 6.7 V RMS, corresponding to 150 mW output power, if that was your question.

raistlin65

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
They are balanced inputs for sure, but feel free to ask Amir is you think otherwise. Just the output is unbalanced 6.3 mm plug.

Although, I'm not sure we're on the same page here. :) I already answered the voltage for the 300 Ohms graph was 6.7 V RMS, corresponding to 150 mW output power, if that was your question.

Thanks. That's what I'm trying to understand. I can see that that graph #3 is 150 watts at 300 ohms, unbalanced output.

But what's the input voltage? I don't know how to tell what it is from looking at the graph :)

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Thanks. That's what I'm trying to understand. I can see that that graph #3 is 150 watts at 300 ohms, unbalanced output.

But what's the input voltage? I don't know how to tell what it is from looking at the graph :)

I would have thought the input would have been the xlr ins for all tests unless otherwise stated. So the 5 plus volts you mentioned in your initial question.

raistlin65

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I would have thought the input would have been the xlr ins for all tests unless otherwise stated. So the 5 plus volts you mentioned in your initial question.

If that's true, it makes me wonder what its single ended output is like when you feed it a standard 2V DAC unbalanced input?

Since I don't need the balanced inputs or balanced output, maybe I should just preorder the Drop THX AAA One?

https://drop.com/buy/drop-thx-aaa-one-linear-amplifier

It's hard for me to imagine that it won't measure well. And I would save myself $100.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
If that's true, it makes me wonder what its single ended output is like when you feed it a standard 2V DAC unbalanced input?

Since I don't need the balanced inputs or balanced output, maybe I should just preorder the Drop THX AAA One?

https://drop.com/buy/drop-thx-aaa-one-linear-amplifier

It's hard for me to imagine that it won't measure well. And I would save myself $100.

I might be being naive, but wouldn't it peak at the gain factor x 2V assuming it didn't hit the limits?

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
That's outside my math skills. lol
It's outside my electronics skills (zero) but I think the max output voltage is the easy part to calculate.

Top Bottom