• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of Massdrop THX AAA 789 Amp

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
But i have built my own amp. Better performance than 789! Yay!

rajapruk

Forum Donor
"The Massdrop x THX AAA 789 Linear Amp will now be available at a new price of $400".

mtf612

Oooof, doesn't ship until August 30th. I'm thinking I might as well just get the Monolith. Cannot imagine I'll truly hear a difference between that and the 789 + a SU8 (even on my LCD-3).

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Nothing has more of a guaranteed resale value this amp. The shortage plus good performance creates this situation.

Hopefully we get more competition to it beside the Atom.

Music1969

Major Contributor
Nothing has more of a guaranteed resale value this amp. The shortage plus good performance creates this situation.

Hopefully we get more competition to it beside the Atom.

Still plans to review it's big half-brother, Benchmark HPA4?

Big because of price difference, half-brother because THX (including Andrew Mason) was involved in HPA4 also.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Still plans to review it's big half-brother, Benchmark HPA4?
I do. Benchmark has kindly offered to send me that and their power amplifier shortly. :)

Noob

Oh my, I managed to grab one somehow. My hands are still shaking. Now I need to source 2 XLR interconnect cables before September.

Monoprice sells some quality xlr cables for extremely affordable prices. The only issue used to be the connectors, but they have upgraded their connector quality recently, and are now my ideal xlr cable. The ones marked "Stage Right" are the ones I prefer.

PorchSong

How fast did they all go?

Wondering if MassDrop keeps track of the record fastest items sold :)

Roughly 500 units in about 1.5 hours. . . I was able to jump in when it first went live. Some poor folks towards the end, hit join drop and when they went to pay, the got a no longer available notice.

Top Bottom