• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of Massdrop THX AAA 789 Amp

mi-fu

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Seeing measurements of schiit amps from the same time reveals levels of distortion that would definitely be audible, but I haven't seen reviews personally for the raggy and I cannot say with confidence that it is an issue. The Ragnarok is significantly less popular than the matching Yggdrasil and Schiit's other amps.

I think I can say with confidence that it will be worth swapping, especially if you sell the Ragnarok, unless you care strongly about the factors I said before. The preamp out in particular might be quite relevant (though preamps are cheap as chips on AliExpress now, I bought one to put before my 789).

Would you mind sharing which preamp you bought for 789? :D

BurritoJustice

Forum Donor
Would you mind sharing which preamp you bought for 789? :D

I bought this balanced switch to put between my ADI-2 and powered monitors and 789. It of course has no volume control so you must either control it from the source or use a separate attenuator. There are a load of different brands for an attenuator if you need (search passive monitor controller mainly), if you have a higher-ish budget then you can get this 256 step relay switched r2r attenuator. There are many cheaper options of course on AE as well if you search "passive preamp" and are happy with a potentiometer. I don't use one as I use the volume control on my DAC.

E: I should add, that attenuator runs both the RCA and XLR outs simultaneously so if you only need one of each that works on it's own.

D

Deleted member 4081

Seeing measurements of schiit amps from the same time reveals levels of distortion that would definitely be audible, but I haven't seen reviews personally for the raggy and I cannot say with confidence that it is an issue. The Ragnarok is significantly less popular than the matching Yggdrasil and Schiit's other amps.

I think I can say with confidence that it will be worth swapping, especially if you sell the Ragnarok, unless you care strongly about the factors I said before. The preamp out in particular might be quite relevant (though preamps are cheap as chips on AliExpress now, I bought one to put before my 789).
Really appreciate your input. I don't use the speaker nor pre-amp output on the Ragnarok so those are non-issues. I'm confident that any channel imbalance would be inaudible, otherwise many would have been complaining by now. Selling the Ragnarok will get me one step closer to my dream Stax setup, thanks!

mi-fu

Forum Donor
I bought this balanced switch to put between my ADI-2 and powered monitors and 789. It of course has no volume control so you must either control it from the source or use a separate attenuator. There are a load of different brands for an attenuator if you need (search passive monitor controller mainly), if you have a higher-ish budget then you can get this 256 step relay switched r2r attenuator. There are many cheaper options of course on AE as well if you search "passive preamp" and are happy with a potentiometer. I don't use one as I use the volume control on my DAC.

E: I should add, that attenuator runs both the RCA and XLR outs simultaneously so if you only need one of each that works on it's own.

Thanks a lot for the info! As I am also using ADI-2 and just bought a 789 (same set up as yours :)), your info is immensely helpful!

BurritoJustice

Forum Donor
Thanks a lot for the info! As I am also using ADI-2 and just bought a 789 (same set up as yours :)), your info is immensely helpful!

Make sure to set the output voltage to +19dBu as the recommended +24dBu will clip the 789, and do not use the third gain level of the 789 as it will clip no matter what with the ADI-2.

Let me know if you have any other questions, I absolutely adore my ADI-2 Pro Fs!

mi-fu

Forum Donor
Make sure to set the output voltage to +19dBu as the recommended +24dBu will clip the 789, and do not use the third gain level of the 789 as it will clip no matter what with the ADI-2.

Let me know if you have any other questions, I absolutely adore my ADI-2 Pro Fs!

Thank you so much for your help!! Really appreciate that!

Just received the shipping notification email from massdrop an hour ago. Really excited about it. :p

Jimmy

How does the hp output if the THX789 compare to using the ADI 2 Pro FS directly?. I'm considerying buying the ADI to power a HD800S balanced, but since it uses AK4490 which is getting a bit long in the tooth I fear that they may release a revision with updated DAC ICs, although sound wise I doubt that there will be audible improvements.

The other drawback is that the HD800s already comes with a 4 pin XLR cable, so I would need to buy/build an adapter to use with the ADI.

Thanks.

derp1n

The ADI-2 Pro is already audibly transparent and far more powerful than needed to run the HD800s in single ended mode. Worrying about balanced connections for your headphones is a waste of time.

AK4490 is fine, it's not like an AK4493 is going to sound any better.

BurritoJustice

Forum Donor
How does the hp output if the THX789 compare to using the ADI 2 Pro FS directly?. I'm considerying buying the ADI to power a HD800S balanced, but since it uses AK4490 which is getting a bit long in the tooth I fear that they may release a revision with updated DAC ICs, although sound wise I doubt that there will be audible improvements.

The other drawback is that the HD800s already comes with a 4 pin XLR cable, so I would need to buy/build an adapter to use with the ADI.

Thanks.

The ADI-2 measures in the absolute top echelons of DACs even with the older chips. Implementation matters more than the actual chip, and RME really know what they are doing. RME doesn't refresh their products often and instead work on constant improvement through firmware updates. Their level of product support to a professional standard, not to an audiophile one. Perfecting a single generation of hardware can trump constant change to the next chip number. For reference, the ADI-2 Fs range are a revision on an interface that is over ten years old.

This:

The ADI-2 Pro is already audibly transparent and far more powerful than needed to run the HD800s in single ended mode. Worrying about balanced connections for your headphones is a waste of time.

AK4490 is fine, it's not like an AK4493 is going to sound any better.

Is also correct. Personally I use an ADI-2 Pro Fs because I am passionate about the engineering and the features, the 789 is also mostly for the aspect that I enjoy having the very best. I wouldn't recommend anyone buy an amp on top of the ADI-2 dac/pro if they are purely looking for an audible difference (ignoring the obvious "sighted improvement"). It is going from "fully audibly transparent" to "fully-er audibly transparent".

For me I would liken it to tweaking every little component in your car, or spending hours dialling in a CPU overclock to get an extra 0.7" performance. For a lot of hobbies the pleasure is not just in the result but also the whole process.

I think sometimes on this forum the message gets confused, I hope I've not misled anyone personally :)

E: I should add because I waxed a bit lyrical, I honestly think the ADI-2 dac/pro are the single best buy in the hobby right now if you are looking at that price bracket. They are just so fucking good

Last edited:

Jimmy

I agree that using newer or more expensive DAC chips probably wouldn't bring any audible differences, but the AKM4490 are more likely to be found in budget products, they are cheap as chips, something like CS4398 is even twice as expensive.

What really puts the ADI apart are the DSP capabilities, and it also has a good A/D converter, but in my case I'll only use the D/A section, so I will be paying for something that won't be used.

The ADI 2 DAC is cheaper but doesn't have balanced HP output, I would like to use the HD800S with the included balanced cable, so I will wait for the Monoprice THX desktop amp/dac, if it performs well it will fit my needs better for a lower price, although the ADI's DSP section is probably miles ahead.

The best option would probably be the THX789 + a good external DAC, but if the monoprice performs well I prefer an all in one unit.

Last edited:

Veri

Master Contributor
The ADI 2 DAC is cheaper but doesn't have balanced HP output, I would like to use the HD800S with the included balanced cable, so I will wait for the Monoprice THX desktop amp/dac, if it performs well it will fit my needs better for a lower price, although the ADI's DSP section is probably miles ahead.

The best option would probably be the THX789 + a good external DAC, but if the monoprice performs well I prefer an all in one unit.

The monoprice should hopefully be finalized and in stock some time.. soon™ o_Oo_O hope all that release date being pushed back stuff be worth it! :)

Pillars

I just found the most amazing thing. Playing ”THX deepnote” seems to enable a hidden easter-egg. The amp goes into parallell mode on the TRS output, and gives 14W output !
I like your style

D

Deleted member 4081

Since the discussion is on the ADI-2, if I actually don't need the DSP capabilities, are there alternatives that are still at the performance level of the ADI-2 DAC at similar or lower prices?

The requirements are build quality, longevity (none of those Topping bad heat sink mounting), and USB input. Thanks!

Audiodoc

Just got mine after a patient waiting of 7 months. Have used it with my Topping D50 and I am pretty impressed with its out of the box performance. I have the DIY Cavalli audio EHHA 1 tube hybrid, Beta 22, O2 as well as teac AI 101DA to compare it to. Among DACs I have an ODAC and SMSL M8 which I use for my speaker rig (nelsonpass B1 pre, emotiva BassX300 to ELAC UNiFi UB5). Planning to do a mix and match session by the weekend.

Attachments

• IMG_20181116_044814.jpg
    IMG_20181116_044814.jpg
    1,007.3 KB · Views: 248

TheBatman_Yo

Just got mine after a patient waiting of 7 months. Have used it with my Topping D50 and I am pretty impressed with its out of the box performance. I have the DIY Cavalli audio EHHA 1 tube hybrid, Beta 22, O2 as well as teac AI 101DA to compare it to. Among DACs I have an ODAC and SMSL M8 which I use for my speaker rig (nelsonpass B1 pre, emotiva BassX300 to ELAC UNiFi UB5). Planning to do a mix and match session by the weekend.

could you post a pic of it beside the D50? I'm just curious to see if they're about the same shade of black lol

Top Bottom