• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of Massdrop THX AAA 789 Amp

Jimster480

Major Contributor
I'm about 30 hours into listening on this amp and its wonderful.
I've ordered some balanced input cables for it now, but they won't arrive until mid december.

esm

Forum Donor
For those of us who ordered in August, you might want to check your email. I just got this:
We’re excited to announce that the Massdrop x THX AAA™ 789 Linear Amplifiers have arrived at our warehouse and we’ll be shipping them out early. We now estimate shipping to begin by the end of next week (week of November 5-9).
That's a heck of a lot better than the February estimate they'd given previously. :)

Jimster480

Major Contributor
For those of us who ordered in August, you might want to check your email. I just got this:

That's a heck of a lot better than the February estimate they'd given previously. :)
I didn't realize they had another drop in august?
I thought only the original drop happened.

Sythrix

I wonder if this means they're close to reaching constant supply...? That's a hell of a turnaround. I bet their supplier is producing more than expected.

maxxevv

Major Contributor
For something that handles globs of power and heat compared to what handheld devices do , I would rather prefer to keep the fab process "outdated", with a bigger die.

Jimster480

Major Contributor
For something that handles globs of power and heat compared to what handheld devices do , I would rather prefer to keep the fab process "outdated", with a bigger die.
Newer processes are better at everything you just mentioned.

wadec22

@amirm so if i'm using a my denon ah-7200, which is very efficient (25ohm, 105db/spl) - should this amp provide much different an experience from an o2? looking at the .32mW range where i'm probably listening - it looks like the o2 may have ever so slightly less distortion. is the only real advantage of this amp for someone in my use case then the channel balance?

jsmiller58

Forum Donor

I. Did. Not. Get. That. Email. Is there a green with envy and extreme frustration emoji?

By the way, does your transaction page still show Feb shipment, or now reflects November?

Sythrix

esm

Forum Donor
By the way, does your transaction page still show Feb shipment, or now reflects November?
Still says "Feb 15, 2019 PT" on my transaction page. At least one other person commented on it on the discussion for the drop, though, so perhaps they're just sending them out slowly/in batches, or maybe it's waiting for you in a spam folder? :)

yummy

Hopefully my review is not behind the price increase!

amirm, it seems like that by coincidence your review becomes the "solid reason" of increasing price through reselling, they USED your review to gain profit, nothing illegal here but it just doesn't feel right on moral level, man, how could they

DuxServit

Forum Donor
amirm, it seems like that by coincidence your review becomes the "solid reason" of increasing price through reselling, they USED your review to gain profit, nothing illegal here but it just doesn't feel right on moral level, man, how could they

It’s called supply and demand :p Now that Amir has provided more information into the equation, the market is adjusting its (perceived) value of the goods ;)

Top Bottom