• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of Massdrop THX AAA 789 Amp

Sythrix

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)

maxxevv

Major Contributor
They should just sandblast and do a hard anodized black finish.

More durable, less tolerance fit issues and dissipates heat much better than painted cases.

Grave

Lets see if it beats this one!

Ha, like it would actually matter. I want to buy this amplifier and to use my Topping D30 with it, but the Topping D30 has a 10 dB worse SINAD. I guess it would be good to pair it with a DAC with a similar SINAD. Is this even possible?

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Ha, like it would actually matter. I want to buy this amplifier and to use my Topping D30 with it, but the Topping D30 has a 10 dB worse SINAD. I guess it would be good to pair it with a DAC with a similar SINAD. Is this even possible?
Since the amp goes after the DAC, you want it to have the least distortion which this unit provides. That way it is fully transparent.

Also, it is very easy for me to hear headphone amplifier distortion as I max out their volume. Such is not the case with DACs. This THX unit solves that problem by producing superbly linear output until it suddenly maxes out (well before my ears can tolerate).

Net, net, don't feel the urge to get a new DAC just because you buy this amp.

Here is my SINAD table for DACs by the way: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...ad-distortion-comparison-graph-for-dacs.4814/

index.php

The Exasound E32 (third from left) is available for sale: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...-and-headphone-amp-on-sale-from-asr-lab.4808/

:)

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
someone is selling this for $1,099 (I mean resell) and tons of people want to buy it, man, what happened to the deal?
Hopefully my review is not behind the price increase!

Headphonaholic

someone is selling this for $1,099 (I mean resell) and tons of people want to buy it, man, what happened to the deal?

Hopefully my review is not behind the price increase!

People resell basically every Massdrop exclusive product. I think just the way Massdrp sells products with limited windows to buy, some try to take advantage of the demand by reselling at higher prices when the drops are inactive.

Headphonaholic

@AndrewMason I have a question about the Monoprice THX amp/dac if you don't mind me asking. If you can't comment, that is fine, I understand. This amp has measured so well that it out performs every DAC Amir has measured. This has got me thinking about how Monoprice's offering will have a balanced DAC integrated with the amp. Is the DAC portion of the Monoprice amp going to be able to keep up with the amp portion?

sonci

Since the amp goes after the DAC, you want it to have the least distortion which this unit provides. That way it is fully transparent.

Also, it is very easy for me to hear headphone amplifier distortion a I max out their volume. Such is not the case with DACs. This THX unit solves that problem by producing superbly linear output until it suddenly maxes out (well before my ears can tolerate).

Net, net, don't feel the urge to get a new DAC just because you buy this amp.

Here is my SINAD table for DACs by the way: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...ad-distortion-comparison-graph-for-dacs.4814/

index.php

The Exasound E32 (third from left) is available for sale: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...-and-headphone-amp-on-sale-from-asr-lab.4808/

:)
Is Topping D30 really 107? I had one, but even though good for the price, it didn't sound like a high end dac..

Grave

Is Topping D30 really 107? I had one, but even though good for the price, it didn't sound like a high end dac..
It is easily audibly transparent. Nothing is ever going to sound better than that.

sonci

It is easily audibly transparent. Nothing is ever going to sound better than that.
What?? If transparent is like crap then ok. What else have you tried? After owning D30 for some months I'm having doubts about the importance of these measurements..

Top Bottom